Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Compiling Linux version fails in Win XP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:13 pm 

OS Version: Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated.
RB Version: RB 2005 Pro R4

When Compiling the Linux version of my application, I get the following error messages:

Internal Error: Assertion Failed
plugin:RBPlugin140.rbx:0: Failed to get library for Linux/x86, no data

after clicking on the OK button on that error I get another one:

Internal Error: Assertion Failed
plugin:RBPlugin140.rbx:0:Failed to get library for Linux/x86, bad plugin name

I am not using any addons or plugin controls.

Anyone have a clue about this?

Post subject: Re: Compiling Linux version fails in Win XP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:42 pm 
Developer wrote:
When Compiling the Linux version of my application, I get the following error messages:

If you go to: C:\Program Files\REAL Software\REALbasic 2005r4\Resources\Internal Plugins\ do you see the RBPlugins? (On mine they're numbered from 129-145). There are probably some DLLs that get installed by the RB installer elswhere too.

You may have to try reinstalling RB and see if that helps. (Be sure to back up anything that may be in RB 2005's program files folder). If that still doesn't work, you should file a bug report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 am 

Will,

Yes, I see those plugins, and the RBPlugin140.rbx is in there. I uninstalled RB2005R4 and deleted everything, and then reinstalled RB2005R4.

Still have the same problem. Anyone know what the RBPlugin140.rbx is used for?

Disappointing to say the least, as this was the main reason I chose RB. To get away from Microsoft products, and start migrating everything to Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 am 
Developer wrote:
Will,

Yes, I see those plugins, and the RBPlugin140.rbx is in there. I uninstalled RB2005R4 and deleted everything, and then reinstalled RB2005R4.

Still have the same problem.

Bruce,

Those are internal plugins for the IDE.

Can you list your system configuration for us? What other software are you running when you run RB? What kind of antivirus are you running, if any?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:55 pm 

Sys Config:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1GB RAM
320GB RAID Storage
Windows XP Pro, SP2, fully up to date.
RB 2005 r4
PC-cillin Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall

I was running PC-cillin as my antivirus. I uninstalled it, and rebooted, and still get the error. Also, removed zone alarm, same error. Just for fun I decided to try a build for all platforms. The Mac classic fails with this Build Failed Error message:

Compilation of "Test Program v2.rbp" failed.
Cannont Load Mac OS version of plugin "plugin:RBPlugin145.rbx:0".

So the linux one dies for some reason with the RBPlugin140.rbx, and the Mac classic has a problem with the RBPlugin145.rbx.

Not sure if this additional information helps or not.

Quite frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:17 pm 
Developer wrote:
Quite frustrating.

Yeah, I feel you there.

Although I'm not familiar with RB's inner workings, it sure sounds like it's having a hard time accessing the internal plugins. Why this is happening is beyond me. Are the permissions on the internal plugins okay? Are you running on a limited user or admin account?

Recently I had some bad behavior with Visual Basic and other programs after applying the latest XP patches/updates, but I'm not sure this is the same problem you're having. I ended up having to reinstall XP, which wasn't much fun. I wouldn't recommend that for you until you knew for sure if it was the patches or if it's something minor.

I'd file a bug report detailing your problem and system config.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:50 pm 

Admin account.
Older code compiled fine a few days ago, and no patches have been done to the OS or anything else. It has to be something I have added to the source, but no new classes or anything else has been added to the project.

Also, I have attempted to compile this on 3 other systems here with the same resluts. 1 PC is about as close to virgin as you can get, does not even have antivirus on it yet.

It would appear that someone else is having the same problem.
I found the following bug report:

http://www.realsoftware.com/feedback/vi ... d=lzkxnaoz

Am I supposed to add to this report, or create a new one or what?
I am willing to send the source to RB developers if necessary.
I did click ADD to add it to my watch list, does this tell them someone else is having the same problem?

Interesting that the older source code of this project compiles fine. And I have not added anything significant, just more standard code. However, alot was added, so it will be hard to find what is exactly causing the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:03 pm 

Well, I just found something interesting. I started to remove some windows from the project and recompile. Figured I would try to systematically find what area was causing the problem. After removing the first window I chose at random, and recompiling, it compiled fine. Just need to figure out what's wrong with it. Doesn't make much sense, as I believe this window had not been modified and was present in the project 2 days ago, and compiled fine at that time.

Going to try to export it from the v2 code, and import it into v1 code to see if v1 still compiles for linux.

GOING CRAZY HERE! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:22 pm 
Bruce, you could click 'Add' to your feedback list, but that particular entry is for 2005r1...

That's weird. From what I've seen in the past, those kinds of error messages were more an internal RB thing than something you coded, but hey, anything is possible, right? :D

Can you post or send me the project file so I can take a look?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm 

OOooooo-KAY. Now... If I leave EVERYTHING alone, keeping the window I removed in the project, everything unchanged, it fails to compile for linux with the results I originally posted.......

In a push button action event there is 1 line of code:

winLogoViewer.Show

if I remark that line of code out like this: //winLogoViewer.Show

It compiles OK! Makes no sense. I also exported this window, and pulled it into version 1, and version 1 code compiles fine. Exported version 1 of the window and imported that into version 2 and it fails. So I dont think the problem is the window itself. Its only in the version 2 project, that if I remark out the show of the form that it compiles fine.

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:32 pm 

I think I finally found the actual line of code that is causing the problem.

In a button action event on the winLogoViewer window I have this:

Dim db as REALDatabase
db = New REALDatabase

If I remove the last line it compiles ok.

If I change the 2 lines to:

Dim db as REALSQLDatabase
db = New REALSQLDatabase

It Compiles OK. Strange that this does not generate any type of error in Version 1, only in Version 2 of the project code. Both windows are the same in both versions.

This was left over code from my initial test development, and I dont use the REALDatabase format anyway, everything is in REALSQLDatabase.

I have deleted this code and the test button off the form, and now version 2 compiles as it should.

This still does not seem like a good reason for the compile to crash, however, and I think its still a RB bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:40 pm 
Quote:
Dim db as REALDatabase
db = New REALDatabase

You might want to try appending OldFormat to the end of both original lines so that they read:

Dim db as REALDatabaseOldFormat
db = New REALDatabaseOldFormat

..and see what happens.

Also, I think you can just do:

Dim db As New REALDatabaseOldFormat

To simplify things.