Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it serverside only?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 am 

I just saw the news about REALBasic's Web product, sounds very intriguing. We are currently migrating an in-house database application that was developed in RB years ago to .Net WCF + Silverlight.

The demo video looks intriguing, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. The focus of the feature list concentrates on widgets, but I'm more interested in how the plumbing works. Is this a traditional server-side component framework (like ASP.Net WebForms, JSF, Wicket, etc.) so that each "action" on a form requires a postback to the server, generation of some new html, and then a full-page refresh? The demo looked smoother than that, but I presume it was running on a local dev machine and the video edits were fast, so it's hard to tell.

Looks like some bits and piece of Javascript are built-in, what's being passed between the browser and the server on the wire during an AJAX call? JSON? XML? Fully-rendered chunks of HTML that update only part of the page? How do you specify that you want an action to be posted asynchronously?

Is it possible to build a webservice with Web Edition so that if I have a mobile device or desktop client that hits a URL which exposes an endpoint I can pull just the data down in XML or JSON and render that data locally? Or is this intended to more tightly coupled between the UI and service layer?

Looks neat, will definitely check it out when it's released since I have an enterprise subscription. Any answer you could give me to the above questions would help tide me over until the release day ;-)

Post subject: Re: Is it serverside only?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Tight coupling between UI and logic. Like building a desktop app that runs in the browser. The only time there are full page reloads is when switching pages, such as WebPage2.Show for example. Everything else is done using JSON, HTML where necessary, but usually we are able to send just instructions so the client-side JS can make the changes to the UI.

Post subject: Re: Is it serverside only?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 am 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds interesting, I'll make sure to take a closer look when it's released. Kudos on an ambitious project!