Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:06 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: OpenGLSurface Sample Code
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:55 pm 

Never mind, I found the problem. Seems that the DepthBits property was set to 0. Guess I did that in a blaze of debugging glory at 2am the other night.

Barry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:06 am 

At least you found the bug :)

Are you running ogl on mac, windows or linux?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:43 am 

I'm trying to replace Canvas.Graphics in a 2D structural analysis application under development (see http://trussoft.com). The Canvas control was ok on the Mac, but totally sucked on Windows, especially when I was doing rubber band overlays, etc. In addition to being accelerated, I was in hopes that OpenGL would be more compatible between platforms as well as giving me the option to move the application into 3D at a later date.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 am 

Nice looking app, and 3D would DEFINITELY be a benefit especially in a house like mine (U shaped foundation and a roof with top half gable / bottom half hip style).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 pm 

Thanks for the good word Phil. Yeah, some of those roof systems can get mighty ugly. I'm hoping to get this software to a point where it's freely available to any competent designer/engineer who might have an interest.

A real stumbling block I'm facing is graphics in the Windows target. Presently I'm using the Canvas control and it acceptable on Mac but it totally sucks on Windows. I thought that OpenGL might be solution, but so far nada. I've developed an OpenGL test app that works beautifully on the Mac, but once again, sucks on Windows. I just can't seem to get either the Canvas or OpenGLSurface to work efficiently/correctly on Windows. The Canvas control is just way too slow, and the page swapping seems to be all messed for OpenGLSurface. I'm about to throw in the towel on RB being an effective cross platform language for even moderate graphics applications as the graphics support is all but non-existent.

At this point, I'm just thinking about completing the application in RB for Mac, and then doing a full source port to VisualBasic in Windows. :(