Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Forum Registration Changes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:04 am 

Mike and I recently changed the forums registration process in an attempt to curtail the spam accounts which keep signing up. We get numerous "users" who sign up, but are simply spam proxies with websites and such posted in their profile. Then they clutter up the memberlist area, which in turn gets indexed by Google, so the spammers "win" even if no one notices the account here.

In an effort to keep these accounts off of our server, we've installed a phpBB mod which changes the registration process. When you go to register for an account, you're not allowed to enter in any information in your profile until after you've activated your account. This way, when spam bots attempt to automatically register, they get removed immediately since a human won't have access to those fields (but a spam bot will).

This only affects new users who've not yet signed up. Once they've activated their account, they can go back into their profile and add whatever information they'd like.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this seems like a better solution than removing around 500 spam accounts every few weeks. If anyone runs into any bugs due to this change, please post them here so that we can look into it and rectify the situation.

Thanks!

Post subject: Try another way aswell
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm 

Hi, im not here to complain or report a bug about this change but another good way to stop spam bots is what most large forums use, a security code

for example: the serve randomizes a code then makes an imag with the code on it and then asks the person to type i the code in the image and if the user can't see the image then have it in regular text or something

This makes it so that only a human can register because bots can't read the text in images unless it's a layer like in adobe imageready or photoshop

Hope this helps and will be added, Jailout2000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:59 pm 

Over the short holiday break, we were hit with almost 50 posted spams (which already made it thru a captcha, form validation and email validation)! So we made some more changes today, which seem to be stemming the massive tide of spam we've been getting. We've removed the captcha, which seems to be worthless anyways and have instead been using a simple form question and answer field. So unless the spam bots have gotten good at figuring out what a planet is, or what type of animal my pet is, this should take care of the spam. Of course, we said that last time too, so who knows. ;-) However, we've had this system in place for about half of the day today, and have had zero spam registrations (and one valid registration). That's a far cry from the dozens of fake registrations we were getting a day (we deleted almost 600 fake accounts for the last 3 months alone).

If anyone runs into any problems with the new registration system, please send Mike or I an email so we can resolve the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm 

The only way we bet spam was having the admin to say that the person is legit we also tryed the type in code. i hope the question idea works for you but maybe you will have to approve users

And My Site Here
http://geocom.co.nz
And get my wonderful program Menuola