Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 249
Location: USA, CA
I know no on can say, so just venting I guess
My current "Enterprise license ends middle of April and I just don't know what to do. I opted out of "applying" to be a beta tester because that to me was wrong of asking paid users to show why they should be beta testers.

I do not want to renew my current enterprise license because the new license scheme might save me a few bucks, but then again if my licesne expires before they roll over current active licenses I might get screwed.

This is just a rant and because I was wondering if other (and I'm sure there are) License holders that face the same.

Kinda wish now I did not fall for the whole "enterprise" hype and just kept my professional license

_________________
-Briman


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:27 am
Posts: 404
I would hope that it would be released before the developer conference in April, otherwise this question might get asked a few times in person :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm
Posts: 673
briman wrote:
I know no on can say, so just venting I guess
My current "Enterprise license ends middle of April and I just don't know what to do.


I may not purchase another renewal before the 2013 pricing comes out.
At the speed things happen and as little desktop focus there is now it doesn't seem I'd be getting much for my renewal purchase over the next year. There's so many things that RS is working on and they'll all take a lot of time to complete.



briman wrote:
I opted out of "applying" to be a beta tester because that to me was wrong of asking paid users to show why they should be beta testers.


I know how you feel. It's a bit uncomfortable (to put it politely). We pay for this product and are willing to spend our time helping this company fix their product but now have to be subject to interrogation to do it?

briman wrote:
I do not want to renew my current enterprise license because the new license scheme might save me a few bucks, but then again if my licesne expires before they roll over current active licenses I might get screwed.

This is just a rant and because I was wondering if other (and I'm sure there are) License holders that face the same.


briman wrote:
Kinda wish now I did not fall for the whole "enterprise" hype and just kept my professional license


Yup. I tend to think ahead which is why I never did the Enterprise hype upgrade.
I'm a Pro customer still.

After 2013 comes out presumably in < 2 months I don't see any significant additions for real desktop in the next 6 months. So purchasing a new renewal now to me is just dead money. Yes it sounds cheaper to buy now but in reality if you're not getting anything useful over many months then it's just tossing it away. I'm not happy that they've put so much effort and focus into other new products and not desktop.

I don't understand why Cocoa isn't released when the last few releases had almost no Cocoa fixes or new features. Reading the notes show Cocoa isn't getting much attention while WE and iOS are growing and being fixed magnitudes more than Cocoa. IF Cocoa is/was ready a couple releases ago, then they should distribute it and not hold up customers. I'd like to get it with the current 'old' IDE but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I wonder how many customer's licenses will expire in those few months of the extended Cocoa delay for the new IDE if that's what's going on?

I've got other software and purchases to make which is why I'm a little more careful about this renewal purchase at this time. I'll probably skip a year and see what happens. If it turns out they magically get awesome things done for desktop in 6 months then I can always purchase then or when I need to (probably after 5 more months of debugging).

Anyway it is what it is.

You could always purchase your Enterprise renewal now and then get your money back in 90 days if you don't like what's been done.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Warfordsburg, PA
J.Sh3ppard wrote:
I don't understand why Cocoa isn't released when the last few releases had almost no Cocoa fixes or new features. Reading the notes show Cocoa isn't getting much attention while WE and iOS are growing and being fixed magnitudes more than Cocoa. IF Cocoa is/was ready a couple releases ago, then they should distribute it and not hold up customers. I'd like to get it with the current 'old' IDE but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I wonder how many customer's licenses will expire in those few months of the extended Cocoa delay for the new IDE if that's what's going on?


I'm not sure of the 100% accuracy of my memory but wasn't it stated somewhere that Cocoa was ready for all practical purposes and that it would come out of Beta status when the new IDE was released?

I upgraded my app to Cocoa over the last several months and everything has been working really well (using the various 2012 releases). If you need Cocoa, just change your build settings and ignore that it says (Beta) next to Cocoa. It has been working really, really well for me.

_________________
Regards,

Mike B.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 am 
Offline
Real Software Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm
Posts: 1078
Location: Austin, TX
mbierly wrote:
J.Sh3ppard wrote:
I don't understand why Cocoa isn't released when the last few releases had almost no Cocoa fixes or new features. Reading the notes show Cocoa isn't getting much attention while WE and iOS are growing and being fixed magnitudes more than Cocoa. IF Cocoa is/was ready a couple releases ago, then they should distribute it and not hold up customers. I'd like to get it with the current 'old' IDE but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I wonder how many customer's licenses will expire in those few months of the extended Cocoa delay for the new IDE if that's what's going on?


I'm not sure of the 100% accuracy of my memory but wasn't it stated somewhere that Cocoa was ready for all practical purposes and that it would come out of Beta status when the new IDE was released?

I upgraded my app to Cocoa over the last several months and everything has been working really well (using the various 2012 releases). If you need Cocoa, just change your build settings and ignore that it says (Beta) next to Cocoa. It has been working really, really well for me.


That is correct. Cocoa will no longer be beta when the new IDE ships.

_________________
Dana Brown
Director of Marketing
Real Software


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm
Posts: 673
So Cocoa is in it's final state now but for some reason RS isn't calling it an official final release until the new IDE. That is so weird but I'm glad it's pretty much ready.

Maybe I need to start testing and seeing if it's good enough for me.

Even if it doesn't have lots of bugs it may not be optimized enough for me to use on a large project I'm doing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:48 am
Posts: 3554
Location: Lenexa, KS
J.Sh3ppard wrote:
So Cocoa is in it's final state now but for some reason RS isn't calling it an official final release until the new IDE. That is so weird but I'm glad it's pretty much ready.



Well, that's not quite true. In 2012 R2.1 it's still labeled "beta" and I know there are changes to Cocoa for 2013. However, for most things in 2012 it's close enough to start testing. Threads that manipulate the UI are a huge area of concern in Cocoa. If you do it now. Change it before 2013 comes out.

_________________
Bob K.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm
Posts: 673
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

Bob Keeney wrote:
Well, that's not quite true. In 2012 R2.1 it's still labeled "beta" and I know there are changes to Cocoa for 2013.


Ok, I think I understand then. RS is not fixing Cocoa anymore for the current IDE so it is as it is for 2012 and prior. I'm guessing this because the last few releases had almost no Cocoa love.

Bob Keeney wrote:
Threads that manipulate the UI are a huge area of concern in Cocoa. If you do it now. Change it before 2013 comes out.


That sounds a bit scary. How are they a concern in Cocoa? Do they not work?

I don't think I have any apps that are using threads right now so I guess I'm safe.
For other developers that are currently using threads to manipulate UI, what should they do to make it 2013 compliant?

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Warfordsburg, PA
Threads work fine in Cocoa. The thing you can not do any longer is to update the UI directly from a thread. You can use a combination of a global property which gets set from the thread and additionally have a timer which checks the status of the global property and have the timer update the UI.

_________________
Regards,

Mike B.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: RB 2013 R1 before april?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm
Posts: 673
mbierly wrote:
Threads work fine in Cocoa. The thing you can not do any longer is to update the UI directly from a thread. You can use a combination of a global property which gets set from the thread and additionally have a timer which checks the status of the global property and have the timer update the UI.



Hey thanks for the response, I learned something :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group