I'm interested but I wouldn't say I'm madly excited.
I'd be more interested if it were 'full mobile' support (iOS, android, kindle, and nook) and ready today or within the next three months.
Knowing that it's so far off and it's only iOS at this point merely keeps me interested.
I'm guessing for Real to support the major mobile platforms I mentioned above it will take over a year from today. Of course that's just guess and I could be entirely wrong. After they get iOS rolled out maybe the other platforms will happen much quicker than iOS did...
As my developing focus slowly shifts from desktop to websites that year delay might be ok for me. But I already do have some mobile apps on my mind that I would like to develop so it really depends on what projects I decide to take on within that time frame. If I get to them before Real's mobile kit is ready then I'll probably use Corona because it can already build for those mobile platforms and it's pretty solid. If and when I start my mobile developing adventures and Real's iOS kit is ready and solid then I may use it and patiently wait for Real to support Andriod, Kindle, etc. I don't know yet. If I develop three or four iOS apps that completely bomb I may go around and personally smash everyone's iPad then I won't have to worry about developing for mobile anymore and life will be easy again
One area I hope Real's iOS kit can do well is game making. Games are huge on mobile so I'm hoping Real's mobile kit will make that fun, easy and quick to develop for. IF Real can make gaming easy then I'm hoping I can create the next super successful game where I rake in massive profits so I can FINALLY buy my own island and start my plans for world domination.
That would be great timing too because at my age this evil sh*t is getting tiresome
OH YEAAAAHHHH !!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ou22deKXcI
I don't really understand it, the last few releases don't seem to have much of any Cocoa support while the other features and Real products are getting a lot of support : WE, iOS, LLVM, new IDE, etc. but Cocoa is still in 'beta' mode?
Not too happy that my Cocoa money went to those other things before Cocoa is even finished. I understand Real needs to expand their product line but it feels like they kinda left us desktop customers out in the cold by over focusing on the other new products and features while under focusing on Cocoa
Opposite to my earlier plan it now has me thinking not to purchase another REAL desktop pro renewal anytime soon (next 12 months)
My current license is still active and I don't foresee anything worthy being completed for desktop, console or databases in the next 12 months given how long it's taken for any significant desktop (Cocoa) improvements to happen.
In the next 12 months for Real desktop I expect LLVM completion, Cocoa optimization, and bug fixes. I'm not really sure what that means to me on a realistic level since Cocoa is supposed to be super high quality (a major reason for the long delay) when the final is released?
Something significant to me for desktop :
I'm guessing 64 bit for OS X, Linux and Windows is going to take at least 11 months to do right. I'm particularly interested in having 64 bit for OS X because that's my main customer base. I'm also interested in Linux 64 bit because that's huge for servers and I'm interested in developing my own desktop server apps as well as WE production. Windows 64 bit today is a big 'whatever' for me. Maybe in a year it will be very important but right now I don't care much so I'm glad Real decided to make that the last 64 bit target.
So my preference is that Real puts more focus on desktop maintaining high quality and very fast bug fixes so that I know when I need to develop a desktop app for Mac, Windows or Linux I can. I don't like how the new Real toys have taken away from desktop focus. I know they have different developers for WE and maybe iOS but the reality is it's desktop money that went into those new toys which means there was definitely a loss of focus in desktop.
Can anyone suggest why I should buy another desktop pro renewal license 'today' before the new IDE comes out and the new price changes take affect?
What new features are we expecting from desktop over the next 12 months?