Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Who else is madly excited for iOS development?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:32 pm 

I've been a paying subscriber to Ansca Corona for a couple of years.

It is now being given away for free, you can publish to the app store for free, completely free. Previously you had to be a paid subscriber to be able to publish the app.
They do offer a paid version, but for most users free will work just fine (no in app purchases, plugins, or Daily Builds (beta versions of the compiler) in the free version. It compiles for iOS, Android, and Kindle Nook.

I wonder how this will influence Real Software's take on making the IDE compile for iOS.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 am 

I think LiveCode (RunRev) also compiles for iOS/Android. They have started an Open Source Community version which they plan on releasing April 9th. Not sure but I think they are also releasing an updated version of the IDE in the first release... which they really need. The open source version has all the features of the commercial version. Only restriction is you can't sell your software unless you have a commercial license. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 am 

jharris wrote:
..Only restriction is you can't sell your software unless you have a commercial license....

No such restriction with Corona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am 

jharris wrote:
I think LiveCode (RunRev) also compiles for iOS/Android. They have started an Open Source Community version which they plan on releasing April 9th. Not sure but I think they are also releasing an updated version of the IDE in the first release... which they really need. The open source version has all the features of the commercial version. Only restriction is you can't sell your software unless you have a commercial license.

The limitation is only the one inherent in the GPL which governs the Community Edition of LiveCode: for any works distributed you must also distribute the source code.

The GPL expresses no opinion about whether you charge for the compiled application. In fact, Stallman himself used to charge a modest fee for diskettes containing GNU programs.

Of course the requirement to provide source code only applies when using the GPL-governed Community Edition of LiveCode. The Commercial Edition is governed by a proprietary license which has no such requirement.