Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Think Point Scam warning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 am 

Hi everyone,

I know this post has nothing to do with RealSoftware, however I find it important enough to post it here so most people will see it.

I just finished the fourth computer within 2 days, which is infected with the "Think Point" scam.

The symptoms are :

when you startup and after login, your screen will show the "Think Point" screen which tells you it is the "Worlds leading spyware...". You also get two options for startup; normal startup and safe startup. Neither will help you.

When you finally started up, most applications stop working especially your internet browsers.

You are told that "Think Point" can fix this problem, however the modules needed cost you 99,50 dollar.

WHEN YOU PAY OR BUY, THE ONLY FACT WHICH HAPPENS IS THAT YOU LOOSE YOUR HARD WORKED MONEY !!! DONT DO IT.

When you are infected, how to remove this scam? Go to the following link :

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2010/ ... stall.html

Follow these instructions and your computer will be fine again. Also after removing and scanning, do not forget to check and fix the errors in your registry.

This is a Windows only scam.

Remember, a warned man or woman counts for 2. People got infected downloaded illegal movies and hacked software. I removed and repaired their computers without any loss of data.

Wish you a very nice day and all the best.

Bad Wolf
acra-endeavours

-------------------------------------------------------------
Using :

Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo D9510 laptop - Windows 7 Professional
Windows Intel E6700 Dual Core - XP (SP 3)
Macintosh G4 / 450 dual processor - Mac OS Tiger
RealStudio 2012 r2.1 Enterprise

Post subject: Re: Think Point Scam warning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 am 

Thanks for this - I can practically guarantee my parents will be calling me in the next couple of days with this issue. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:17 am 

Two years ago I promised myself I wouldn't touch a Windows PC again for exactly this reason - I spend way too much time removing crap from friends' and relatives' PCs.

In essence they saved a few bucks and I was paying for it with my time.

I told them I would continue to help them if they switch to Macs. Of course after they did the switch I had nothing to do - the Macs just work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm 

Heh. It's amazing just how often we see warnings like this and also how in every one of the warnings a Mac fanboi comes along to gloat. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:14 pm 

Well sadly I believe that most of the time people get these things because of what they are doing... and as one of the above posts stated... Many of us spend a lot of my time at friends homes fixing their computers. Many of my friends get software like this through ads.... like the fake Anti-virus tool that everyone i know seems to have.

One thing you might want to do is go and get a public (Minute if not hourly updated by the general public) to block all ad sites, malware places, and scripts.... Or just grab a list and throw it into your router, and bam, no more ads from anywhere. I know I fixed my friends computers and finally decided to install a blocker of my own. These friends who use TVshak a lot, no longer call me daily saying 'My computer wont turn off' or 'my computer wont turn on'...because of the insane amount of malware at those sites.

As for mac, Gloating or not, they have their cons too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm 

charonn0 wrote:
Heh. It's amazing just how often we see warnings like this and also how in every one of the warnings a Mac fanboi comes along to gloat. :roll:

Sorry, but I build and set up between 600 and 700 PCs - I know them quite well and since they were running Win 1.0 on 8086 and 8088 CPUs (and I have WinXP and Win7 running under VMware Fusion). I also do the IT support for about 30 people on a private and free basis (funnily enough all the people I know who do something similar use Macs too).

If you find it necessary to label me a Mac "fanboy" ... well, most Mac users have extensive experience with Win PCs, most Win users have no Mac experience (or at best a few minutes). Using a Mac over a PC is an informed choice - and I can't count anymore how many people used to do just what you just did - and by now they say "Windows? Never again." Labeling anyone a "fanboy" derides him, demeans his opinion, and just makes you sound like a pratt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm 

Markus Winter wrote:
...and just makes you sound like a pratt.

Had to look that up :lol:

But seriously, what value does an Apple, Inc. commercial add to this discussion about addressing a Windows security problem?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:38 pm 

charonn0 wrote:
<Shrug> I'm not a Mac fanboi... Me Linux...
but I'm still gloating... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:09 pm 

charonn0 wrote:
But seriously, what value does an Apple, Inc. commercial add to this discussion about addressing a Windows security problem?

Seriously, Apple Inc. Commercial? :roll:

And it does add something to the discussion, a legitimate reason to own a Mac and not have to get these nasty fake av apps.

I have fixed more of these type of Fake AV apps then I care to remember. They all have one thing in common and that is that they try to scam you out of your Credit Card Number. Some of them are also laying in wait on compromised web servers too and thanks to some clever trickery and some awesome Windows security flaws some of them can install without a notice.

These things are not new but out of all the malware I get tasked to remove I would wager that Fake AVs are 99% of the infections.

The real problem is that nearly all of the infected machines have Anti-Virus software installed and running. These things go right through AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials. As a matter of fact they usually disable the security center and services, the task manager, the ability to launch .EXEs and more. Really crappy stuff. One of the few Malware apps that will not let them through is Malwarebytes, the paid version as only the paid version has real-time protection.

Bottom line is if you really want to prevent these infections and you have tried educating your users and they still don't get it, then purchase ($25) a lifetime license for Malwarebytes. It works when others fail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:58 pm 

paulg wrote:
And it does add something to the discussion, a legitimate reason to own a Mac and not have to get these nasty fake av apps.

That's what Linux is for. :p

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:33 am 

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your replies.

I did not bring this up to start a discussion between Windows, Mac or Linux. My reason is to prevent people from experiencing the same and when this nasty situation occurs, give them a solution to get out of it as painfully as possible.

The MalawareBytes suggestion, is very good and like said, you do not have to dismiss it for the price. I have many lifetime licenses and they are worth their price.

I can only follow that suggestion and advise you to get a lifetime subscription of MalawareBytes.

On those infected computers Avast was active with updated virus definitions.

Some years ago the Mac was safer for virusses than PC. But that is no longer true. Decent protection is a necessity on all platforms.

I wish everyone a very nice day and all the best.

Bad Wolf
acra-endeavours

Using :

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 pm 

Bad_Wolf wrote:
Some years ago the Mac was safer for virusses than PC. But that is no longer true. Decent protection is a necessity on all platforms.

I'd like to see the source you base this statement on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:41 pm 

If your looking for free, Super Anti Spyware, Spybot SD, & Antivir are usually a good mix. All make a $0.00 Hit on your wallet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:54 pm 

Robert96757 wrote:
If your looking for free, Super Anti Spyware, Spybot SD, & Antivir are usually a good mix. All make a $0.00 Hit on your wallet.

And none run on the Mac.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:14 pm 

Hi all,

This is a very good alternative for the Mac. It is open source and received very good reviews. Here are two homepages, I think the first is better for Macintosh :

http://www.clamxav.com/
or
http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

The database is also updated regularly.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

Bad Wolf
acra-endeavours

Using :