Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: iPhone / iPad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:20 am 

Hi All.

I read a news letter from Realbasic, and from what I gather the newest version of Realbasic / Realstudio will allow you develop apps for the iPhone / iPad.

Is that right, or just wishful thinking on my part??

Regards

Post subject: Re: iPhone / iPad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 am 

That would be wishful thinking. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 am 

http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2010/04 ... cense.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:24 am 

Apple has actually come out and said in writing that they won't allow anyone to develop applications for the iPhone unless they use only the iPhone's own native API and they program in C, C++, or Objective-C. So REALbasic is completely out of the picture on the iPhone unless Apple changes this policy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:48 am 

Nit picky point and I could be wrong but I think they still allow you to develop in other tools but the restriction is that you you won't be able to sell them via the app store.
A big play by Apple, I wonder if it will pay off for them?
Seems like a bad deal for everone else though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 am 

jjb wrote:
Nit picky point and I could be wrong but I think they still allow you to develop in other tools but the restriction is that you you won't be able to sell them via the app store.

For a significant portion of the developer community, if they can't sell via the App Store applications created in tools other than those dictated by Apple, then what would be the point of working in those other tools?

One way people are thinking now to get around this is to code in one language and export converted code into the languages required by Apple. Language conversion tools are difficult to write and maintain, and there are the errors that need to be sorted out that result from the conversion. Seems to me by that point one ought to just stick with Apple's tools and just be done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm 

ARRFFF!!! I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for realbasic to do something with the iphone and now the ipad. I see all these other companies building software that allows the final builds to be compiled by the apple software. Thats all we want. I get tired of people blaming Apple. All apple wants is you to do the final build in there software It does not stop realbasic from creating builds that can be final built in apples software like all the other companies. To believe that companies will not be using tablets to do business is foolish and Realbasic users will flea to other programs to try to keep up with CUSTOMERS DEMANDS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:00 pm 

dred wrote:
I get tired of people blaming Apple.

Reread the clause and you'll see in this case the issue lies clearly with Apple (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs...

Certainly, Real can go the same way as Adobe and create a system by which an iPhone executable can be made with unsupported technologies (as stated in the developer agreement), but without the cooperation of Apple, there really isn't much point and they'll end up in the same (money-losing, resource-draining) position as Adobe (who, not-so-coincidentally have already shelved support for their iPhone tools despite their being included in the next release). Are you really going to use (much less spend money on) a tool to create an iPhone application that you can't sell in the App Store?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:39 pm 

http://www.runrev.com/products/revmobile/overview/ tempting!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:36 pm 

Still coming soon, I see.

I wonder how
Quote:
Even better, you'll be able to use revTalk rather than Objective-C or Visual Studio

will stand up against

Quote:
Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs...

Pining for REAL to do the hard work for you isn't sensible.
If you have an idea and you can make money from it, the tools are out there now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm 

dred wrote:
http://www.runrev.com/products/revmobile/overview/ tempting!

I'm willing to bet revMobile is in limbo just like Adobe's tools are until they get the word from Apple (just like Adobe is waiting for now).

Besides, RunRev's offer is a false economy. Why spend $999 to learn a new language that sits on top Apple's own tools and by result will always be playing catch up when you can spend only $99 and always have the most up-to-date tools? Either way, you have to learn a new language, so you might as well learn the one Apple supports and do so for less money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm 

If all that you're after is the ability to run your application on a tablet, you can do that now. There already are tablet pc's that run windows or linux that you don't have to wait for. And now that Apple have entered the mix, many more being announced every week.

If you absolutely have to have an app that runs on the iPhone/iPad, then stop complaining about not being able to write one using RB, and use the excellent tools that Apple provide for you for free. Most apps can be written in plain Objective-C, with a touch of straight C to glue things together. The Objective-C language itself is incredibly simple and very easy to learn. If you're using RB in an object oriented way, you'll understand the language. The harder thing to understand is how the Cocoa framework works, and how to use interface builder to connect your gui to your code. There are many books that can teach you this. The one I can recommend the most is iPhone SDK Development by Dudney & Adamson. The authors are very active in their forum.

Between the above book, it's website and forum, and other iPhone forums with users as helpful as the ones here, I've released three iPhone apps, one of which has been featured in the app store. I started with RB. But after learning Objective-C and Cocoa, I don't feel locked into just the one development tool. Although I still can't think of a better tool to use for cross platform desktop applications than RB.

I have no sympathy for someone that would rather wait for a feature that may never happen, instead of using a tool that already exists. Besides, there are less obstacles in the way for RB to support WinCE and Window Mobile/Pocket PC, but we don't have that yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm 

Fogger wrote:
If you absolutely have to have an app that runs on the iPhone/iPad, then stop complaining about not being able to write one using RB, and use the excellent tools that Apple provide for you for free. Most apps can be written in plain Objective-C, with a touch of straight C to glue things together. The Objective-C language itself is incredibly simple and very easy to learn. If you're using RB in an object oriented way, you'll understand the language.

I don't think any C variant can be called "incredibly easy" to learn :(

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm 

silverpie wrote:
I don't think any C variant can be called "incredibly easy" to learn :(

True, but it's also not that bad; it's just temporarily unfamiliar.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm 

MonoTouch works.....