Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show us What You've made in REALbasic!
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am 

I made a serial terminal, with a few helpful features not usually found in other terminal apps:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/morei ... x/10915190

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 pm 

Don't forget that ARBP has a Made With REALbasic section devoted entirely to REALbasic made applications. The only thing that's required to list your app is free registration.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 pm 

This is a remake of the sequencer feature from the great SNES game "Mario Paint".

As it's still in beta state, I was too lazy to set up a website for it yet - I spread the beta releases on MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b46c ... 1b362f1bdf

The Mac version needs to have the FluidSynth library installed via fink (currently only available on the unstable packages tree).

My work with FluidSynth has also spawned an open source project, which provides classes for accessing FluidSynth in REALbasic:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbfluidwrapper

It currently doesn't implement all features of FluidSynth, but those that are implemented work fine. May be interesting for developers who deal with MIDI output and want to use SoundFonts.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:17 pm 

As much as I would like to see the project, your .7z files on MediaFire result in some weird cyclical unpacking of ZIP and CKGZIP files on Mac OS X.

Also, you should be very careful about copyrights here because Nintendo is fierce when it comes to protecting theirs. Perhaps replacing the art with something a bit more generic might be something to take into consideration?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:25 am 

pregan wrote:
As much as I would like to see the project, your .7z files on MediaFire result in some weird cyclical unpacking of ZIP and CKGZIP files on Mac OS X.

7zX is working fine for me. I mainly use 7z because its compression ratio is much higher than that of normal zip files.

Quote:
Also, you should be very careful about copyrights here because Nintendo is fierce when it comes to protecting theirs. Perhaps replacing the art with something a bit more generic might be something to take into consideration?

I doubt that copyright law applies to 16*16 bitmaps. But I consider making the sprite set exchangeable, so that I can spread my application with other, selfmade sprites, and the users can supply themselves with the original sprites...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:19 am 

Quote:
I doubt that copyright law applies to 16*16 bitmaps.

Actually, copyright law does apply here because the display and delivery format doesn't matter. It's all about the content and you clearly have Nintendo trademarks in your application.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:28 pm 

I don't have any fancy graphics, but I used REALbasic to write a program called CodeHelper which can analyze or modify Projects. Using Codehelper is as easy as one-two-three:

(1) Load in the Project (in XML format).
(2) Perform the task(s) you want.
(3) Save the Project (if you modified it).

I haven't checked to see if each feature still works (sometimes particular tasks performed by CodeHelper need to be updated to work with new versions of REALbasic), but ALL of the following have worked with previous versions. In random arrangement, here's a fairly complete list of CodeHelper's features:

1. Add automatic comment to End If line for If/Then and If/Then/Else statements.
    Example: End If // If Total > 200"
    2. Add automatic comment to Else line for If/Then/Else statements.
    Example: Else // If NOT (Total > 200)
    3. Add automatic comment to Next line for For/Next statements.
    Example: Next // For I = 0 To LastLineNumber
    4. Add "boilerplate" material to beginning of procedures (e.g., header telling name of procedure, purpose, programmer, date, etc.).
    5. Add "boilerplate" material to end of procedures.
    Example:
    Exception
    MsgBox "An error occurred in Window1.EnableMenuItems."
    6. Check to see whether any Variables and any Properties have been given the same name.
    7. Check to see whether any Variables are DIMensioned but never actually used.
    8. Check to see whether any Properties in a procedure are defined but never actually used.
    9. Put individual DIM statements on separate lines.
    10. Alphabetize DIM statements.
    11. Combine adjacent DIm statements.
    12. Combine split lines of source code (i.e., those which use "_" as a line continuation character) into single longer lines.
    13. Comment out all source code with indenting preserved (sometimes useful if a major rewrite of a program is needed).
    14. Comment out all MsgBox statements (sometimes useful if MsgBox is used frequently in debugging).
    15. Conform keywords to standard REALbasic format regarding case (e.g., "NEXT","next", "NExt" all become "Next").
    16. Conform Variable names to Dim statements regarding case (e.g., "HIGHSCORE", "highscore", etc. all become "HighScore" if you used a "Dim HighScore As Integer").
    17. Display source code on screen for entire project or for a particular procedure.
    18. Display XML file on screen (this will display the result of any modifications that have been made to the XML code).
    19. Edit XML document directly (can search for string or whole word).
    20. Inset a space before and after mathematical operators ( + , - , , / , = , ^ , <> , >= , <= ), after parentheses symbols, and/or after commas.
    21. Increase indentation of source code beyond normal (sometimes makes source code more readable).
    22. Remove "//", "'", or "REM " symbols from source code.
    23. Remove all automatic "Else", "End If", or "Next" comments (see 1, 2, and 3 above).
    24. Remove all blank lines from source code.
    25. Remove procedure headers or footers (see 4 and 5 above).
    26. Remove highlighting from entire Project, setting the cursor at the top of each Method
    27. Restore indentation of source code to normal (see 21 above).
    28. Save to disk any list (Constants, Controls, Line Labels, Menu Items, Methods, Modules, Passed Parameters, Properties, REALbasic Keywords, Variables, etc.) displayed on the screen.
    29. Save to disk source code displayed on the screen.
    30. Save to disk (modified) XML file displayed on the screen.
    31. Send to printer any list, source code, or XML file on the screen (see 28, 29, and 30).
    32. Test nested For/Next Loops for repeated counter names.
    33. Add appropriate counter variable to "Next" line (e.g., "Next" becomes "Next LineNumber").
    34. Uncomment (commented) MsgBox statements.
    35. Use blank lines (before and after) to separate out logical units of code (Do/Loop, For/Next, If/Then/Else, etc.).
    36. Double- or triple-space source code.
    37. Display list of modifications made to XML code by CodeHelper.
    38. Obfuscate (or unobfuscate) source code by switching control names.
    39. Change a "name" (variable name, property name, etc.) throughout the code (uses RegEx to change only "whole words").
    40. Display project information (short or long).

Today, for example, I used CodeHelper to show on the screen the source code for a Project, edited the source code to remove the parts in which I was not interested in printing out, and saved it as a text file, ready to load into my favorite text editor.

I could have printed it out -- after editing -- directly from CodeHelper, but at this point I do not have the Printer Dialog box added to CodeHelper. Anyone care to help with that? You're welcome to play with CodeHelper's source code, as long as you're willing to share the results.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:00 pm 

I read your list hopeful you'd made something that took all texts and captions and pulled them as constants, so they could later be translated by Lingua. No luck, tho'.

I'm still trying to find a workable solution for multi-language management that doesn't imply I go over the half million strings I have by hand creating constants for them.

http://twitter.com/eduo/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:51 pm 

Quote:
I read your list hopeful you'd made something that took all texts and captions and pulled them as constants, so they could later be translated by Lingua. No luck, tho'.

I haven't used "Lingua," but what you describe shouldn't be that difficult to write.

CodeHelper already knows how to separate out quoted material from other material in a line of source code. I found that necessary, because when you want to do certain replacements, you don't ordinarily want the program to mess up anything contained inside of quotes (or, for that matter) in a comment at the end of the line).

Thus it would appear simple enough to have CodeHelper go through the program, pull out all material within quotes, and make a list. Here's an example of the possible format of the result (assuming the basic Project is in English):

Ling1 = "Main Menu"
Ling2 = "1. Load in XML File"
Ling3 = "2. Perform the Task"
Ling4 = "3. Save XML File"

CodeHelper could also make such changes as the following:

StaticText1.Text = "Main Menu"
StatIcText2.Text = "1. Load in XML File"

To:

StaticText1.Text = Ling1
StaticText2.Text = Ling2

And so on. (If you wanted a French version, you'd simply change the values for Ling2, Ling2, etc. Perhaps the program could read those values from an external file.)

You'd also have to DIMension Ling1, Ling2, etc., as strings, and CodeHelper could help with that, once you decided where you wanted to put your DIM statements.

The point is that CodeHelper is for people who write Code. Thus the program can be tailored by those who use it. For example, the reason why there's an option to put a blank space only around outside parentheses is that someone liked to do that, so that task was added to CodeHelper. There are enough examples of different tasks in CodeHelper that if CodeHelper doesn't already include the option you want, it shouldn't be difficult to add it.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:30 am 

@barrytraver:

You tool is impressive. Do you plan on releasing it one day?

Here is an update to my Skin Creator Tool for VirtualDJ

It has some controls very similar to REALbasic's IDE:
[*]Toolbar with exactly same features
[*]Property Listbox

The Property listbox is XML driven. It's contents are changed in less than a second. Everything can be customized with the XML file.
And I added autocomplete in the cells when typing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:40 am 

Hello,

I have written an application - VBSInc - that allows VBS \ VBScript developers to use include files within their VBS code.

Now it is possible for VBS developers to create a library of reusable code like functions and classes.

If you want to write VBS code like this ...

#include ..\myVBSLibrary\wmi.inc
#include ..\myVBSLibrary\constants.inc

List_Printers
wscript.echo "PI=" & PI

... then you need VBSInc

You can find more details, sample code, screenshots etc here:

http://www.scout-soft.com/vbsinc/

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:23 pm 

spacewalker wrote:
Hello,

I have written an application - VBSInc - that allows VBS \ VBScript developers to use include files within their VBS code.
Now it is possible for VBS developers to create a library of reusable code like functions and classes.
List_Printers
wscript.echo "PI=" & PI

... then you need VBSInc
Thank you

Not to rain on your parade... but you can do an INCLUDE with pure VBS. My company has been doing it for years..

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
' PROCEDURE: Include()
'
' PURPOSE: This procedure includes the target VBScript with this
' script.
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Include(ByVal strLibrary)
Dim oFSO, f, s
Dim sInstFile
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If oFSO.FileExists(strLibrary) Then
Set f = oFSO.OpenTextFile(strLibrary)
s = f.ReadAll
f.Close
ExecuteGlobal s
Else
Err.Raise 32001, Wscript.ScriptName, "Class library [" & oFSO.GetAbsolutePathName(strLibrary) & "] not found."
End If
Set oFSO = Nothing
Set f = Nothing
End Sub 'Include

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:33 pm 

@JeremK

Awesome looking GUI!

Did you use RB's canvas for all of that?

Did you use RB to create and handle your whole Virtual DJ program?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:36 pm 

DaveS wrote:
spacewalker wrote:
Hello,

List_Printers
wscript.echo "PI=" & PI

... then you need VBSInc
Thank you

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade... but you can do an INCLUDE with pure VBS. My company has been doing it for years..

yes.. you are right... but you are using the "executeGlobal" method - I think this has some disadvantages like debugging and encrypting as I have tried to describe on my website

regards,
Heinz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am 

I created a "slippy map" type viewer for kml/kmz files. It still needs to be polished up but the pan/zoom and buffering functionality is done:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next