Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Licensing Question - Standard or Demo?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:45 pm 

First off, I have to say - I used to love REAL, way back in my windows days. After seeing a letter in this month's Tux Magazine, I came and took another look.

All I can say is that I'm very impressed. I spent far too much time trying to get Gambas to work under Fedora Core, never getting anywhere. REALbasic installed and ran 1st time.

Anyway, so now I've been playing with the Linux version, but I can't open REAL databases - even though I use SQLite all the time in my perl projects...

My understanding is that Standard edition is free under linux, but during installation I ended up selecting Demo since I didn't have a key. A couple trips through the store didn't turn up any standard-for-linux keys either.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. After reviewing it for a day, I already know I'm looking forward to getting my hands on pro. Would just like to play with a couple other things before I go trying to sell it to my bosses. :twisted:

"If Murphy's laws are so true then how come I can log onto this site and submi............" - P. Breen

Keep poking -> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/pokepenguin.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:40 pm 

Quote:
Anyway, so now I've been playing with the Linux version, but I can't open REAL databases - even though I use SQLite all the time in my perl projects...

Are you using the REALSQLDatabase? This works for me.

Quote:
My understanding is that Standard edition is free under linux, but during installation I ended up selecting Demo since I didn't have a key. A couple trips through the store didn't turn up any standard-for-linux keys either.

Despite it saying "Demo", you have a standard key. This has been changed for an upcoming release, as have the captions used during the registration process.

HTH,
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:10 pm 

Thanks for the clarification on the key.

As for the database issue, following along with the Database section in the user's guide, I added a new REALSQLDatabase to the project. Double clicking on the database in the project returns an error "Couldn't connect to database" instead of displaying the schema or allowing me to edit it.

The error may not be an exact quote - I'm currently away from the machine where I installed.

REAL databases also appear to be the only available option I have at the moment (and would be sufficient for my current needs.)

Will keep fiddling with it. Thanks again.

"If Murphy's laws are so true then how come I can log onto this site and submi............" - P. Breen

Keep poking -> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/pokepenguin.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:20 am 

I also has been asked Mr. Geoff about it , he said its a real Std version key. :D

I can run REALBasic for Linux just before decompressing the .tgz file, and user can run my app in this way, too. The cross-framework of REALbasic is a great invention!