Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Difficulties while testing RealBasic under Linux
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this group, as a matter of fact this is my first posting ever in a forum. I was looking for a long time for a programming environment such as RealBasic seems to be and I decided to give it a try.
The Wndows version seems to behave decently for the moment, but I had problems under Linux. I downloaded the *.rpm file (I'm running RedHat 9.0) and after an easy install, I tried to start it as a regular user... that's right, it didn't work. It says "process already running" and dies. There's no process RealBasic related at all as I could check using the "ps" command so this is one mistery I'd like to understand. However, I could run RealBasic as root without any problems until...
Well, following the quick start document, I came to the final part where one can compile the application for different platforms. I wanted to try that before spending my money on the product and it seemed to work for a few seconds, but then a message popped up informing me that since I'm running an evaluation version, I can only get builds which will function for a limited time - which was okay - but after accepting that, the whole process simply freezes.
So my questions, for which I would be very grateful to anybody who can provide an answer, are these:

1). Why the Linux version does not allow a regular user to run the softare?
&
2). Why the claimed cross-platform feature does not work in practice? The professional version may behave better, but I'm hesitant to buy it unless I can see it working with my eyes.

Thank you in advance,

Julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:44 pm 
Hi Julian,

Quote:
1). Why the Linux version does not allow a regular user to run the softare?

The Linux version DOES work for normal users. Although using RPMs are usually more convenient, I just download the .tgz file and extract it to my user directory. I've had pretty good luck running RB 2005 Linux this way, however there are sometimes problems getting the Language Reference and HTMLViewer working if you don't have the Mozilla (not just Firefox or Thunderbird) package installed.

Quote:
2). Why the claimed cross-platform feature does not work in practice?

As far as I know, you can only compile for Linux on the RB 2005 Linux IDE. I believe the cross-platform binaries are only available on the Linux version if you have a Pro license. (other posters can correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: Looks like binaries for Mac and Windows can be generated, but they are time-limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:52 am 

Will Brokenbourgh wrote:
badragan wrote:
2). Why the claimed cross-platform feature does not work in practice?

As far as I know, you can only compile for Linux on the RB 2005 Linux IDE. I believe the cross-platform binaries are only available on the Linux version if you have a Pro license. (other posters can correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: Looks like binaries for Mac and Windows can be generated, but they are time-limited.

The standard licenses only build unlimited versions for the platform you bought it for - to get cross-platform building without time limits, as well as other features, you need to upgrade to pro. This is the same as for us Mac and Windows users.

Hope this helps. :)

Wayne C. Winquist

Not Wayne's World Wordpress
Not Wayne's World MySpace!
Not Wayne's World Yahoo! 360

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:42 am 

Thank you Will & Wayne for your reply. I tried to use the .tgz file as suggested by you Will, and I get the same result as before - a message saying "Other instance running". But if I switch to root, I have no problems at all.
As for the Windows binaries, there is indeed a message prior to building saying that these will be time-limited unless one upgrades to pro. That's okay since all I nedd as a potential future user is to test this feature. However, my experience is that the software only gives the impression that it creates the other binaries too, while in fact it doesn't. Only the Linux binary is created in the default directory. I looked for the others all over my drives with "find" but there were none.
Oh well, I had great hopes but perhaps I should let this product mature more, maybe one year before I will try it again. It is precisely the cross-platform feature which attracted me in the first place. I would like to develop in Linux and be able to build for other platforms too.
Perhaps the pro version does better, but what's the use if one cannot test it?

Best greetings,
Julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:45 pm 
Quote:
I tried to use the .tgz file as suggested by you Will, and I get the same result as before - a message saying "Other instance running". But if I switch to root, I have no problems at all.

That's odd.

Shot in the dark time:
When you were in your non-root account, did you extract the .tgz file into your user folder? In the extracted folder, are all of the permissions correct? Also, I used RH 9 a long time ago, but I don't remember the details; does it meet the system requirements for RB 2005 Linux? Have you tried setting up another partition and trying a different distro (I know, a big pain)? When you are running as root, where is the RB 2005 Linux binary when you run it?

One thing you should know, when people do get RB 2005 Linux running okay, there have been a few people (including me) having trouble generating Windows binaries in the Linux version of RB. Besides that, I have generated all of the Mac binaries as well as the Linux binary just fine with the Linux version.

This is a curious issue you're having. Hope you don't give up! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:41 am 

Hi Will,

perhaps it may be something to do with RedHat although it shouldn't. I do not think permissions have anything to do with the fact that Windows binaries are not generated, because I do get the Linux ones. But I will try to change the permissions on the installation folder to 777 and see what happens.
What I've just done was to try generating Linux binaries from a Windows environment and it worked fine. I also tested those binaries under Linux with great success.
Well, a cross-platform product is really a challenging thing and bugs are likely to exist. By the way, what Linux distro are you using?

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you something else which is more related to programming. I've red in the documentation about the FolderItem object and I'm scratching my head trying to understand how is that supposed to help. Let me be more clear. I'd like to navigate to a certain directory - say with a dialog control or some other means - and while there, have the files in that directory (filtered) listed in a listbox. I thought it over for two days now and I cannot get a solution. I would appreciate any idea since I have no one left :-)

Julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:29 pm 
badragan wrote:
By the way, what Linux distro are you using?

I'm using Knoppix 4.0 (Debian based). Extracting the .tgz in my non-root user folder works just fine, except that you have to install the Mozilla suite package in order to use the HTMLViewer and Language Reference.

badragan wrote:
I'd like to navigate to a certain directory - say with a dialog control or some other means - and while there, have the files in that directory (filtered) listed in a listbox. I thought it over for two days now and I cannot get a solution. I would appreciate any idea since I have no one left :-)

Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I'm not following what you want to do. Could you clarify? It seems like the standard GetOpenFolderItem function should do that. Again, please forgive my foggy head at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:47 pm 

I used to use coffee too in the past, now I switched to some detoxifying mixture which seems to work well, although its smell is terrible :-)
Here's my problem:
I want to build a tool which is supposed to help me in my work (which I belive you already guessed, is not programming). However, on occasions I have a bunch of images (.BMP) organized in different folders. I need to be able to load them easily one by one in some sort of frame and do some processing for each, like saving coordinate points.
So I imagine something like a window divided in two parts by a vertical (imaginary) line. On the left I imagine a control which will display a tree of directories which makes me navigate easily to the folder where my images reside. On the right side I imagine another control where each bitmap file I select on the left shows up and let me do whatever processing I want.
Now I don't know if there's something in RealBasic to behave as the left control. It would be wonderful if it were. So I came with the idea that I would navigate to the right folder using a common dialog control and once there, I can have the BMP files listed in a listbox on the left.
I hope this is a better description of what I try to do.

Julian