Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Still no 64bit?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 am 

Hi,

i was using Realbasic for a project many years ago, when linux support was quite new. Realbasic not having 64 bit support back then i went for other solutions for future projects. Now many years later i thought i could give it another chance and got the Demo (Windows).

It only compiles 32-Bit Linux? Is this a demo limitation or is it really true that after all these years they have still not managed to get one of the most important features for Linux support into Realbasic?

Post subject: Re: Still no 64bit?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 am 

Stating the obvious?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm 

someone has to do it. it is a essential feature for Linux and assuming from your comment it is still the case (could have been a demo limitation), saving myself some money then and sticking with qt-creator. I rather hunt lost references, then not supporting 64 bit Linux. In many years of Linux support for my commercial software i always receive one question first: Does your software run on 64 Bit, i won't answer it with 'sorry, no, but you could install 100s of megabyte of 32 bit libraries, if your distribution supports it' again.

Thanx but no thanx then.

@Realsoftware: you are losing customers by not using a simple c compiler flag, think about it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 pm 

Quote:
Does your software run on 64 Bit, i won't answer it with 'sorry, no'

I think your statement is 'technically' incorrect. Your software DOES run on 64 bit. However it is not compiled as 64 bit...

and I'll be that this statement is also 'technically' incorrect....... but I don't work for RealSoftware so I'm guessing..

Quote:
@Realsoftware: you are losing customers by not using a simple c compiler flag, think about it!

I'm sure if it WERE that simple, they would have done it, or perhaps there is a more compelling reason they haven't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:11 pm 
Real Software Engineer

93i wrote:

IF it were just flipping a flag on the C compilers we use it would already have been done.
The frameworks have to be able to compile for 64 bit - they aren't but are being made to be.
And the compiler itself has to be able to emit correct 64 bit code.

It's not as simple as you think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm 

93i wrote:

What C compiler would that be? RB is the compiler. It emits machine code, not C.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am 

DaveS wrote:
Quote:
Does your software run on 64 Bit, i won't answer it with 'sorry, no'

I think your statement is 'technically' incorrect. Your software DOES run on 64 bit. However it is not compiled as 64 bit...
and I'll be that this statement is also 'technically' incorrect....... but I don't work for RealSoftware so I'm guessing..

No, it does not run on 64 bit, you need hundreds of megabyte of 32 bit libraries installed to be able to run 32 bit software on 64 bit linux, and that is exactly the problem, not all linux distributions provide a simple solution for that, and even if, not all people are willing to install hundres of megabyte of software double, beacause they already have the 64 bit libraries installed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:59 am 

timhare wrote:
93i wrote:

What C compiler would that be? RB is the compiler. It emits machine code, not C.

Well, even if it would be possible in theory, i would not assume they are developing realbasic in realbasic themself... although it would explain a lot :lol:

I am pretty sure there is a c++ compiler involved, and in this case, on gnu c this would mean setting flag -m64... that is, if they did not do something stupid that prevents realbasic from working in 64-bit in general, but i assume the mac port already supports 64 bit?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Real Software Engineer

93i wrote:
timhare wrote:
93i wrote:

Well, even if it would be possible in theory, i would not assume they are developing realbasic in realbasic themself... although it would explain a lot :lol:

I am pretty sure there is a c++ compiler involved, and in this case, on gnu c this would mean setting flag -m64... that is, if they did not do something stupid that prevents realbasic from working in 64-bit in general, but i assume the mac port already supports 64 bit?

The Real Studio compiler is written in C++. It takes REALbasic code and spits out the appropriate linked executable file (as actual machine code, no interpretery stuff going on). Now we could switch a flag on gcc/clang/msvc and make the compiler itself be 64-bit, but that doesn't end up with our users getting 64-bit applications.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 am 

jranieri wrote:
The Real Studio compiler is written in C++. It takes REALbasic code and spits out the appropriate linked executable file (as actual machine code, no interpretery stuff going on). Now we could switch a flag on gcc/clang/msvc and make the compiler itself be 64-bit, but that doesn't end up with our users getting 64-bit applications.

sorry, was too much in the c world lately (because still no 64 bit realbasic :( ), you are right. now as you found the time to point out my mistake, any chance you also find the time to state a short word about the situation, will there be 64 bit? a) never b) when its done c) soon?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am 
Real Software Engineer

93i wrote:
jranieri wrote:

sorry, was too much in the c world lately (because still no 64 bit realbasic :( ), you are right. now as you found the time to point out my mistake, any chance you also find the time to state a short word about the situation, will there be 64 bit? a) never b) when its done c) soon?

Option B. Geoff talked about some rough timelines at last year's Real World.