Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to install app written in RS - Windows into Linux?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:14 pm 

Hello all,

I am a real newbie when it comes to linux.

I have a machine set up with the Turnkey LAPP server installed and running. My problem is, I have no idea how to make an app that has been compiled in RS on a Windows computer (with Linux options on of course), able to run on this Linux computer. Even basic things, like where to put the file. Does it have to be "installed" as it many do in the Windows world. Do the LIbs need to be "registered" and if so how?! And the most basic, how to get it on to the Linux box, so that Linux "sees" it! I think Linux looks for packages but not even sure what they are or what they look like etc...

I am looking for a cross platform installer that does not cost a fortune (and can be used to create the installer on my Windows machine) for distribution onto Linux and maybe later MAC.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or even give me a starting point?

Much appreciated!

Thanks!
Tim

Post subject: Re: How to install app written in RS - Windows into Linux?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 am 

It seems that you have been waiting some time for a reply.

I am fairly new to REALStudio and I'm currently moving to Linux - CentOS 6.2 as the performance of this OS is deeply superior to Mac or Win.

The APIs are slightly different. Linux has a different format for the Group box for example. It's buttons are by default slightly bigger. While the Mac is very forgiving on slight mistakes and will tolerate them without showing them Linux will show them (font variations for example). Cross platform is not really very functional in this regard. So every application will need fine tuning within the target OS and that's difficult. In many respects the personal IDE for each OS would work better than having one to cross compile. Most people will use Virtualisation to see what the end result would look like.

In Linux you have an unpopular OS, because of the difficulties of installing software. You have dependencies which with rpm files can be extreme. You have an installer that tries to give menus for your applications. It takes 3 days to install a piece of software correctly on a Linux system (in practice). However with REALStudio: A) There are no dependencies, but it might need to run in the same folder where it's resource folder is. B) There is no need for an installer.

*The only requirement is to select the file, open up the file Properties and on the Permissions tab tick the box to allow the executable to run as a program, and that's it. Double click the executable and there is your program. Of course it must be 32-bit linux, or you need to drastically mod the OS.

The user can put the file anywhere they like even in their own Applications folder. They can make a link to the executable and place that on the desktop. The OS will probably not 'see it' as such and this is a good thing. With REALStudio you have just eliminated all of the defects of Linux. You can not write all the software that is missing from you rpm distro, and you can now write a GUI program for every Terminal command. The people will thank you for it and buy your software.

In the failed merger of Desktop and Phone OS I suggest a Phone console on the desktop as your program launcher, there is your first program.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am 

ShaunS wrote:
It takes 3 days to install a piece of software correctly on a Linux system (in practice).

My experience has been 3 seconds. Then again, I use Linux all the time. Were I to sit down in front of a Mac (which I haven't done since the early 90's), I'd probably have the same complaint about Mac OS X. Unfamiliarity breeds disdain.

There are a number of ways to deploy on Linux, and we need only look as far as RealSoftware to see how to distribute Linux software outside of the package management ecosystem. Offer a Debian package, a RPM package, and an unpackaged tarball which uncompresses into a ready-to-use directory tree wherever the user wants it; one way or the other your Linux users will be able to use one of those.

Debian and RPM packages are simple enough to make, and there are a number of tools available to help. If your app isn't intended for wide binary distribution (say a Web app deployed on a single Linux server) then you don't really need to do anything but FTP/SCP/email/whatever the executable to the server, set it's permissions to allow execution, and run it from whatever directory you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:18 am 

The unpackaged tarball here is a really interesting suggestion. It can't have escaped your attention that most linux software that can be downloaded (mainly as source code I guess) is packaged in a file with the suffix '.tar.gz'. The point here is that these files are 50% smaller than the original files because they are compressed archives, the consequence being that your customer can download twice as quickly using half the bandwidth.

The Archive Manager is included with every distribution as far as I can tell, and it's your best friend. It can encapsulate your program safely into a small package which even an unskilled linux user would mostly be able to decompress almost by accident.

The main concern here is that your program won't necessarily work. It will obviously work on the distribution that you wrote it for, but you'll find that there are other distributions that it won't work on. Sadly you would need to test all and where differences occur, resolve them and provide either instructions to fix it or an alternative program for that distribution. That also means testing each revision of each version.

Linux is more difficult, solve those problems and you'll get richer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm 

Hello all!

The key, I think, is to create the correct script that will generate the necessary edits to other scripts, creation of new scripts (and of course placement where appropriate). I found how to do this the arduous manual way. Which works for me since I am not (yet) releasing my work to the wild, but rather supplying a single product that has Linux running and my software installed already. So once I got it installed and running, I created an ISO of the disk, then can create more images from the master. Updates/upgrades to my code are handled by over writing the existing work.

Not the commercial way, but there again, mine was not meant for true distribution.

Tim