Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Debugging is very slow
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:42 pm 

When debugging (working with breakpoints) my system is increddible slow. It takes abaout 20 seconds for a single step (Shift + Ctrl + I). Using the Windows IDE and RemoteDebuggerStubLinux on a second machine, debugging works fine.

The Linux IDE was very slow also, but I could speed it up by using the Nvidia closed source driver instead of the open source one delivered by debian sarge. Now a nearly fluid work is possible (still a bit slower than with windows on the same machine), but debugging is still pain.

Is there anything that could distrub the debugger? It seems that something blocks the debugger.

Post subject: Same here
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:17 am 

Hi

Same here, debugging is very slow and at certain points seems to stop entirly. Any suggests as I would like to upgrade to the pro version.

Using SUSE 9.3

Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:16 pm 

smae here. I found that it almost stop when it encounter exception. if u test for handling exception it best run from outside not from debuger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:19 pm 

While I don't doubt anyone's claims to the debugger working slowly, I'm confused as to why it would be. We use IPC (just a unix domain socket) to communicate between the debugger and the debug app. The only thing I can think of is doing too many screen refreshes or something, since I can't imagine the communication causing the problem.

Just out of curiosity, v-man, since you can remote debug, what happens when you remote debug from Linux *to* Windows? Is it still just as slow as debugging locally? If it is, then we know it's not the communications code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:32 am 

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, v-man, since you can remote debug, what happens when you remote debug from Linux *to* Windows? Is it still just as slow as debugging locally? If it is, then we know it's not the communications code.

I Try to Remote Debug from Linux IDE to Windows RemoteDebuggerStub with the following result:

1. Debugging an Application with Project -> RunRemotely -> WinDebugger is compiling the application (Message "compiling DebugMyApp.exe"), but after that nothing else happens. The Tab bar of the IDE shows no "Run" Tab and I can edit my program like I allways do. So in my enviroment it is not possible to debug from Linux to Windows, only the opposite way is working.

Launching Program -> RunRemotely -> Setup is working. The WindowsRemoteDebugger is found automaticly and shown in the list.[/quote]

I discovered that debugging is painfully slow if I debug code that concerns databases

db=New REALSQLdatabase
db.databaseFile=f
if db.Connect then

If I enter this fraction of code the IDE is not useable any more. The compiled app runs well.

http://www.vman.cc
Show Control and more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:14 pm 

Well, that's still very useful information -- you should report each (seperately) as bugs so that we can look into the problems.

Thanks!