Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:49 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Printing and page setup don't seem to work
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:47 am 

Hi,

I just installed RB for Linux, and in the IDE am puzzled by the fact that page setup and print do not seem to do anything at all. This is on Debian, I downloaded the tgz version, unpacked it, and fired up RB, which seems to work just fine. I was unable to use the ubuntu install file since I am on 64 bit version, but I have the ia-32 libraries installed. And as far as I can see, its only printing that does not work. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Printing and page setup don't seem to work
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:15 pm 

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (Debian) with RB 2010r1 on an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor.

The "OpenPrintDialog" works fine for me. I did, however, have problems when I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10......printer functions didn't work in RB.

Also, tried to install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu-9.10 and experienced too many problems to continue using it. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about 32bit/64bit (Linux) installs so I can't really help you on that front.

Below is a test that worked on my machine.
dim ps As PrinterSetup
dim g As Graphics
ps=new PrinterSetup
ps.MaxHorizontalResolution=300
ps.MaxVerticalResolution=300
g=OpenPrinterDialog(ps)
g.DrawString "Printer Testing", 200,200

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 am 

Probably not clear. This is what I am doing. I start up the IDE. I see a window with untitled in it Stick a couple of buttons on it. Then I go to the FILE menu and do Page Setup.

Nothing happens.

I go to FILE > PRINT and do the same thng, and nothing happens.

What I'd expect to happen is for a page setup window to appear, or for something, most likely the window with the buttons, to be printed on the printer, after the usual system print dialogs come up..

Or if not, what is the use of the FILE > Print menu entry?

I'm coming to this from Revolution, after spending hours, days, who knows, maybe weeks, trying and failing to get the print functions to work in that, and having come to the conclusion that they are irretrievably broken in Linux and that the team show no sign of intending to fix them. Broken as in, you can't see your printers, you can't use your fonts, you are offered fonts that don't exist, when you do find a sub command that invokes the print dialog it don't do anything, and worst of all, when you print a card, how big that is on the paper is a function of the resolution you have set your monitor to.

This is so desperate a situation that I simply have to find an alternative, so my first question about RB is printing.... And the first question about printing is, how do I print from the IDE? How do I set up printers in the IDE?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 pm 

I duplicated your actions and upon clicking on the "File" menu I found, "Print Window1....". Upon clicking on this item RB produced a Print Dialog window (which I'll get back to below.) I clicked on print and RB printed out any CODE that was in Window1...including any code existing in controls on the window.

If you are trying to print the graphical representation of any controls within a window or the window itself then you must do this in code. Not having done so myself I can't say how to do this but I'm sure that if you do a search in this forum there may be some examples.

As for printing in LINUX I have always found no matter what program you are using the Page Setup & Print Dialog windows lack the completeness or complexity one can find in MS Windows. NOT being an expert on LINUX I can only offer that the "CUPS" print packages seem to have control over the quality of print functions in a LINUX distribution and this makes it difficult for RS to build a fix all solution for LINUX printing.....IMHO.

None the less, if you follow the actions in my first paragraph above you should get something to print. If this does not happen then there may be a problem with your LINUX install or RealBasic install or both. As I said in my first response to you.....I can print from RealBasic.

Finally, I agree that printing from RB can be challenging regardless of which platform you're on but specifically on LINUX.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:25 am 

Paul, I am also using RB 2010 r 1 (on a Mac) and remote debugger running on a Ubuntu 9.1 virtual machine.
Tried your print code and g returns nil

I can print to my networked printer from that Ubuntu 9.1 virtual machine in other applications, but RB program no.
Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm 

Hmmm, there is something wrong with REALbasic apps and Ubuntu 9.10

If I go back to Ubuntu 8 then printing works and also SelectFolder works there, but not in Ubuntu 9.10.

I even started with a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 and same problem. Old versions of apps made with RB2008r42 have the same problem as 2010r1, so it does not appear to be something new in 2010r1.

This is all rather disappointing. :(