Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:03 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Software Copy Protection for Linux Apps
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:57 pm 

Is anyone aware of a software copy protection/licensing system for Linux?

For my Windows Apps, I use PCGuard, which wraps around the executable. The the user runs the application, and a Site code is generated, which they have to provide to me to obtain an Activation Code. It also allows the user to transfer the license to another computer.

Does anyone know if there is something like this for Linux Applications?

I write in VB, but converting over to RB, and would like to distribute my new applications for the linux platform as well. However, I need to protect them easily.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:06 pm 

Do you just need a way to require registration? If so, I wrote my own for the one time I released a shareware program. It works much like the system for RB, but is probably not nearly as secure.

Post subject: Re: Software Copy Protection for Linux Apps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:42 am 

Developer wrote:
Is anyone aware of a software copy protection/licensing system for Linux?

For my Windows Apps, I use PCGuard, which wraps around the executable.

There is a solution from Safenet that uses hardware tokens ( http://www.safenet-inc.com/products/sen ... traPro.asp ). Actually the RB enviroment is not supported, but you can protect the executeable file as you did with PCGuard, which is IDE and language independent. The costs are 44 EUR per token (if you buy at least 10). They support Windows, RedHat and SUSE Linux as well as Mac OS X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:00 am 

@Jennifer - Thanks for your input, however I do need more than just simple registration.

@v-man - I have used their products before, including their Activator product, when they used to be known as Rainbow Technologies. I would like to stay away from a hardware dongle solution. I do business world-wide, and I got tired of dealing with the customs hassle when shipping the hardware key to my customer. On top of that Safe-Net jacked the price on me when I went to place an order for 20 dongles. They wanted me to pay twice what I had previously paid for a qty of 10. Told them to take a hike, and I would find another solution.

Guess I need to get the folks at PCGuard to make a Linux version of their product. lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:08 am 

I am not sure this will help, but I base my copy protection scheme by generating a number derived from the MacAddress of one of the network cards on the end-user's machine (use the NetworkInterface class to get it.)
I can then provide them with an 'unlock' code based on that number. It is not completely foolproof as you could spoof a MacAddress, but it is decent and not to hard to implement.

Post subject: MACAddress for Serial Numbers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 pm 

Using MACAddress, how would one go about creating an activation code for their application?

1) How do you limit use of the app (Set a time-out or set of days that the app will work)
2) How does one create a registration form in RB that grabs also the MACAddress and send that info my site to generate an access code.
3) Where is the valid activation code stored after the app is activated. Is it a flat text file in the same directory of the app, or is it in the preference file, database.... etc.

My plan is to capture the data using php & mysql on my end.

Thanks.

I am a bla bla bla newbie also as they all say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:58 pm 

FYI, MAC addresses are easy to spoof and can change frequently. Switching from wired LAN to wireless will change MAC address; having to replace a dead network card will change MAC address; changing the MAC address (easily done on most modern hardware) will change the MAC address. Then there's the case of the computer with multiple network interfaces... which MAC address do you use? What if one's a USB NIC and disappears next time your app runs?

IMO, MAC addresses are not a good solution.

[Edit: Typo.]

Last edited by blakeyrat on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: MACAddress not ok
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:43 pm 

O.k. my friend. I see the light. So should I abandon the whole idear and just to supplie the end user with a activation code. If so that lead me back to post the above questions then

1) How do you limit use of the app (Set a time-out or set of days that the app will work)
2) How does one create a registration form in RB and send that info my site to generate an access code.
3) Where is the valid activation code stored after the app is activated. Is it a flat text file in the same directory of the app, or is it in the preference file, database.... etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:23 pm 

We have only done an activation once. We set it to create a hidden file in the application folder once activation was complete. On opening, the application looked for that file. If found, it opened normally. If not, it asked for registration info.

To set a time limited version, you can set it to save the date of installation in a file or small database and check it at opening to compare against the time limit. That would fall apart if they simply reinstall the app. More advanced programmers could probably tell you how to save it in the registry on Windows.

Post subject: MACAddress for Serial Numbers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 am 

Thanks