Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting Started with Linux
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 pm 

I don't know anything about linux beyond that it comes in many different flavors, but i would like to play around with RB on Linux to see how my apps would look/work on it.

I now have an intel iMac with Parallels 5 installed so I can run it. Anybody using linux on such a setup?
Because I'm clueless I would need a lot of help to get started!

Currently what distro of linux would be best for me to install for this?
Where can i download it?
Are there DETAILED for clueless people instruction on installation and configuration somewhere?
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
- Karen

Post subject: Re: Getting Started with Linux
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm 

Distrowatch provides quite a comprehensive list of the different distributions of Linux & BSD along with a summary of each distros features / target audience.

I've been using Linux Mint for quite a while now and I really like it, just today I upgraded from Linux Mint 7 Gnome to Linux Mint 8 KDE (Gnome is based on the GTK widgets whereas KDE is based on Qt). Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu but it comes with all the video and audio codecs included by default and some nice little utilities for administering, updating, etc...

With regard to configuration much of this is done with simple text files, much like the old *.ini files on Windows, whenever a Linux guru gives you some cryptic commands to type in the terminal as often as not you're actually just editing a text file. Linux is not nearly as scary as some would like you to believe.

When I was trying to decide which distro I was going to choose I used this little utility: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ which will take any Linux Live CD and write it to a pen drive that's then bootable. Just stick the pen drive in your USB port, boot up and hey presto. You'll need access to a Windows PC to run the USB creator software in the first place but it's a good way to get a feel for Linux without any commitment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:18 pm 

The trickiest part is getting it installed.
RB provides downloads in a couple of flavours, depending upon what kind of Linux you use.
If memory serves when I tried it, I used Ubuntu with the deb package.
If youre lucky, just boot up Linux, download the package, and double click.

Once its installed, then you can in many ways treat the Linux environment like a Mac.
Many of the Specialfolders targets do not work, and you need to be aware that Linux is a case sensitive OS, so if you have been sloppy with filenames in code, you may run into some bother.

Ive played about with getting a Linux version of my main app done for some time, but I keep running into diaply issues (controls not showing up over panels, font sizes being odd) that it isnt a simple port, for me at least.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 pm 

jefftullin wrote:
The trickiest part is getting it installed.
RB provides downloads in a couple of flavours, depending upon what kind of Linux you use.
If memory serves when I tried it, I used Ubuntu with the deb package.
If youre lucky, just boot up Linux, download the package, and double click.
Running from the pen drive also makes installation easy, there is an 'Install Linux Mint' icon on the desktop that launches an installation wizard.

jefftullin wrote:
Ive played about with getting a Linux version of my main app done for some time, but I keep running into diaply issues (controls not showing up over panels, font sizes being odd) that it isnt a simple port, for me at least.
Yes, controls do have to be taller to get captions to fit on them properly which is a pain. I think the Einhugur controls are actually better behaved than the built in ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 pm 
Real Software Engineer

Karen wrote:
I now have an intel iMac with Parallels 5 installed so I can run it. Anybody using linux on such a setup?

Yes
I run Ubuntu 9.0.4 on it

Karen wrote:
Because I'm clueless I would need a lot of help to get started!

Download a distro and burn a CD with it and the install in Parallels is really simple.
Create a new VM and go from there. It will walk you through the steps.

Karen wrote:
Currently what distro of linux would be best for me to install for this?
Where can i download it?
Are there DETAILED for clueless people instruction on installation and configuration somewhere?

Ubuntu is not bad
http://www.ubuntu.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 am 

I use a Ubuntu 8.04 VM and haven't had a problem with it. Everything is pretty snappy as long as you give it enough RAM to work with.
(I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3, not Mac, though; YMMV)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 am 

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 at home as a file/database server. I develop on Windows and use NoMachine NX Client to connect to Ubuntu when I run my app remotely. I used Fedora until Ubuntu came out. I have been really happy with how simple Ubuntu is to use. I have three server installations at work running MySQL or DB2 Express and all have SSH servers running. They have been running for over three years and we have never had any major issues.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:52 am 

Thanks everybody. I'll give Ubuntu a try.

- Karen