Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which linux distribution is recommended for RB2009r5.1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:19 pm 

I am having some issues with RB2009r5.1 on Ubuntu 09.10, so I am contemplating using another distribution.

What are you using out there that is working fine. My problem is that the IDE hangs/locks up when I press backspace (or delete) in the type field for properties when I am working on a class. As I am a sloppy typist, this is a killer.

edit: I have posted the bug in the feedback system (#10935), by the way.

So which linux distribution are you using? t works on CentOS 5; but I can't use that for other reasons. I need at least python 2.5; preferably 2.6 and misc media utilities.

Post subject: Re: Which linux distribution is recommended for RB2009r5.1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm 
Real Software Engineer

Ubuntu 9.04

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:26 pm 

npalardy wrote:
Ubuntu 9.04

I tried that now, and that works fine.

My linux workstation is fine with 09.04; but the (crappy) laptop is not 100% fine with 09.04 - which is why I upgraded to 09.10 in the first place ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:01 pm 

Ok. Maybe it's time for a recap. As we have established, "my" bug disappeared when downgrading to 09.04.

So now I have had plenty of time to play around with RB on Ubuntu 09.04. And find a few interesting features.

Whenever I press Shift+W to get an uppercase w in the editor; the IDE thinks that I pressed Ctrl+W and asks me to save or not before quitting. Fortunately, I can press Esc and continue. But it gets tiring after a while. HAve anybody else seen this? The same thing happens on Ubuntu 09.10 too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 pm 

tomsi wrote:
Whenever I press Shift+W to get an uppercase w in the editor; the IDE thinks that I pressed Ctrl+W and asks me to save or not before quitting. Fortunately, I can press Esc and continue. But it gets tiring after a while. HAve anybody else seen this? The same thing happens on Ubuntu 09.10 too.

I'm using RB-9r51 on Ubuntu 8.10 and I have the same problem as you do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:05 pm 

Not sure if this will resolve some of your issues but I would recommend trying out PCLinuxOS. Ive used it with RB and it always worked really well.

http://pclinuxos.com/

iMac 24" 2.4 ghz 4gig Ram 500HDD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm 

tbonejo wrote:
Not sure if this will resolve some of your issues but I would recommend trying out PCLinuxOS. Ive used it with RB and it always worked really well.

http://pclinuxos.com/

I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 pm 

I've used CentOS 5.2 and 5.3, both natively and running under VMware, with no problems. Even in a VM, CentOS is fast and REALbasic performance feels snappy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 pm 

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an Acer L100 with a NVDIA GeForce 5680 graphics card. I mentioned the graphics card because this seems to be a major stumbling block on my machine when I try to install/use extended graphics. This does not, however, have an effect on the speed and usability of RB-9r5.1 on Ubuntu. The only problem is....on my machine....I get just a bit more graphics flashing than I would otherwise if I could get my graphics card up and running.

I like RB-9r5.1 on both windows and ubuntu. You just need a fast enough machine to keep you from falling asleep whil coding.

On my machine, I also have tried Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 but these versions report that I have a hard disk about to crash (which is not the case) and so I decided to stick with the Ubuntu 8.04 version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm 

It looks like the shift+w bug is in process of getting fixed.

I created a feedback entry on my original bug (IDE locsk up when pressing backspace in a propertys type field) back in january, but the entry has not even been reviewed. How can I get some action on a bug like this?

Also, has anybody experienced the same bug?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:03 pm 

tomsi wrote:
Also, has anybody experienced the same bug?

I'm currently running RB 2010r1 with Ubuntu 8.10 and I have not experienced the BackSpace/Delete problem as you have described it. I still experience the [shift+w] problem.

Also, I don't know exactly what triggers this but from time to time, when typing code in the IDE, the code screen jumps around with each character typed in. Haven't reported this because I can't find a trigger for this bug......it just happens.

Last but not least, most annoying, when right-clicking the mouse to bring up an IDE contextual menu, there is a long....long delay of 4 to 6 seconds between the time the mouse is clicked and the menu shows up. When I can remember, I use the menu bar instead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:46 pm 

I think I found the trigger for the problem I posted above.

When editing in the Code Window of the IDE and using the BackSpace key to delete a character or two then typing in a new character to replace the deleted character causes the lines of code to shift vertically down......sometimes as much as 6 to 8 lines. The insertion cursor follows the shift so that it is still on the line being edited. Don't know but I think it has something to do with the auto-complete function.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:27 am 

Paul Burnside wrote:
I'm currently running RB 2010r1 with Ubuntu 8.10 and I have not experienced the BackSpace/Delete problem as you have described it. I still experience the [shift+w] problem.

The lockup issue is only on the newest distributions (Ubuntu 09.10, OpenSuse 11.2, Fedora 12 etc), so I suspect it is related to kernel og libc change.

Paul Burnside wrote:
Also, I don't know exactly what triggers this but from time to time, when typing code in the IDE, the code screen jumps around with each character typed in. Haven't reported this because I can't find a trigger for this bug......it just happens.

I usually see that one when there are more than a few lines of code in the editor.

Paul Burnside wrote:
Last but not least, most annoying, when right-clicking the mouse to bring up an IDE contextual menu, there is a long....long delay of 4 to 6 seconds between the time the mouse is clicked and the menu shows up. When I can remember, I use the menu bar instead.

I have seen that one too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 am 

Paul Burnside wrote:
I think I found the trigger for the problem I posted above.

When editing in the Code Window of the IDE and using the BackSpace key to delete a character or two then typing in a new character to replace the deleted character causes the lines of code to shift vertically down......sometimes as much as 6 to 8 lines. The insertion cursor follows the shift so that it is still on the line being edited. Don't know but I think it has something to do with the auto-complete function.......

Interesting.

Actually it might be the autocomplete function that is causing the lockup bug too. Because autocomplete doesn't work in the property type field or return value field for methods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:52 pm 

Paul Burnside wrote:

Happens to me in my Ubuntu 8.04 VM with REALbasic 2008r5.1; irritating as can be.

Paul Burnside wrote:

Oh, that's a RB/RS problem? I thought it was my VM, since everything is slow when you're dividing 2 GB of RAM between 2 RAM-hungry operating systems. Yep, I've seen that too.