Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to Linux: Compiling and executing SOLVED
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 am 

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux but since RB has the ability to compile the code for Linux, I was thinking of compiling my application for Linux (and later MacOS) as well.

Thus, I made a simple "Hello World" type of application (just a pushbutton with a msgbox) and compiled it for Linux: Instead of compiling for the default system (Windows) I went into the compile configuration, chose Linux and launched the compilation, after which I got a file without any extension.

Then I transferred the file to my Ubuntu 9.04 installation (on a Sun VirtualBox virtual machine) and tried to execute it in different ways: By double clicking it from the GUI (I am a Windows user...), from the command prompt using the name of myapplication (./MyApplication) and also using "sh MyApplication". I did the command prompt attempts as root (after doing sudo -i) and also as my normal user. None of these attempts worked, so I couldn't run the test application.

When I try to run the application from the terminal I get the following error message: "-bash: ./MyApplication: Permission denied" (actually the message is in spanish, so this is my translation into english). I am working as root at this time.
When I try sh from the terminal I get a combination of text and symbols, as can be seen in the following picture (where you can also see the result of doing ./MyApplication). The actual name of "MyApplication" is "HelloLinux".
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7620/pantallazoby.png

Am I doing something wrong at the compilation step, or is my problem related to how to execute in Linux?

Thank you in advance,

Pixe.

Edit: I forgot to say that there is a post with a similar problem in the forum (http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27212), but the problem seemed to be related to Wubi in that case, which I am not using.

Last edited by pixe656 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New to Linux: Compiling and executing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:15 am 

Do a search for CHMOD.. probably attributes flags.

Post subject: Re: New to Linux: Compiling and executing SOLVED
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:00 am 

Yes, that was it. Thank you for your help.

In case someone ever encounters the same problem: To change the attributes for the executable file use CHMOD. I made it executable by all users like this (from a terminal):

chmod +x MyApplication

Thank you again

Pixe

Post subject: Re: New to Linux: Compiling and executing SOLVED
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 pm 

Hello again everyone and I hope to learn many things.
I just bought RB Pro for Windows and I tried to compile sample project 2 in the package (for Windows and Linux).
On windorws not work on ubuntu (both Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.1 are 32bit).
Before you buy RB had done the same thing and one worked without problems (no database) the other not (with database).
The demo worked in Ubuntu simply double clicking on the application.
At first I thought the demo was not to operate the application with database, now that I RBpro both do not work.
Where am I wrong?
Thank you.