Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which Linux for app?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 am 

I have an app that I want to run under Linux and here is the criteria --

The only application that will run on the PC will be mine.

It's an industrial product so a "desktop" isn't even involved, other than starting the software and letting it run 24/7 and changing the setup when need be.

It's not a command line program and will have a lot of simple visual display activity.

What popular Linux distribution could I use that is rather bare-bones and will do the job?

My only experience with Linux is Ubuntu -- which seems like an overkill installation for this. ?

I also would like something that I could use as the operating system for the realbasic IDE as well.

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Which Linux for app?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:35 pm 

may be answering my own question --

installing opensuse, unlike Ubuntu, it looks like you can limit what "options" it installs during setup.

good choice?

any others I should look at though based on my first question?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 am 

well opensuse was a waste of time.

installed from the live cd -- some ridiculous error toward the end of the (too lengthy) process and it didn't install.

so? how about something that works?

I'm not impressed with Linux so far -- Ubuntu installed very easily but wants to update more than windows does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:06 pm 

Most popular distributions in last 12 months are:
1 Ubuntu 2237
2 Fedora 1497
3 openSUSE 1401
4 Mint 1373
5 Debian 1051
6 Mandriva 951
7 PCLinuxOS 798
8 Puppy 767
9 Sabayon 726
10 Arch 652

So if I were you I would test it on default installation of Ubuntu, Fedora, maybe openSUSE and ignore the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm 

Double-check the checksum on your burned CD/DVD compared to what the download page says. Most issues ( in my experience ) when installing are because the disc wasn't burned correctly. I'd suggest you try Debian or Ubuntu Server edition since you don't need all the desktop apps. They both are supported for updates for a longer period of time than the desktop editions of most distributions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 pm 

mb52505 wrote:
I'm not impressed with Linux so far
I have a laptop that came with Vista pre-installed, I recently partitioned the drive and installed Linux Mint. It's now dual booting with yet another partition that contains my data (e-mail repository, music, pictures, Python and haXe projects, etc...) this partition is shared by both OS. Both installs roughly mirror each other: OS, office suite, Firefox, Thunderbird, Python, Mono, DAW (Orion/LMMS).

Comparatively when running Linux it flies along like someone stuck a firework up its flue, the Linux install also occupies less space but I think Vista is probably a little prettier (by default Mint comes with Gnome not KDE otherwise Vista may not even win on that score). Linux does take some getting used to and many Windows users will give up in frustration after a brief test drive because Linux is not exactly like Windows and the first time they get stuck they'll retreat to what feels familiar. If you're prepared to stay cool and use the forums to find the answers to any problems you encounter you'll soon discover Linux has a lot going for it. I haven't booted into Vista once since installing Mint and now even my partner, who is not at all techy, boots into Mint by preference when she wants to surf or e-mail.

mb52505 wrote:
Ubuntu installed very easily but wants to update more than windows does.
Is that a bad thing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:54 pm 

Quote:
What popular Linux distribution could I use that is rather bare-bones and will do the job?
I use Tinycore Linux for exactly this. To run a RB app all you need to have installed besides the Tinycore base are gtk2 + its dependencies, bash, and libcups. I have a complete OS running my RB apps and DHTML server that is under 25 MB (yes thats megabytes).
All of those are easy to install, the user forum there is fairly responsive with questions and requests. Here is a link to TC's site: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 pm 

I will recommend that you try out CentOS 5. It is very stable and has long support cycle.

The only thing to check it has drivers that works with the hardware you are targeting. Last year's usually hardware works better than the latest greatest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:48 pm 

Don't know if it's still available but there is a lesser version of Ubuntu called Xbuntu. As I understand it, Xbuntu is sort of bare bones and you decide what apps are installed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:51 pm 

[quote="Paul Burnside"]Don't know if it's still available but there is a lesser version of Ubuntu called Xbuntu. As I understand it, Xbuntu is sort of bare bones and you decide what apps are installed.[/quote]
Xubuntu is alive and kicking: http://www.xubuntu.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 pm 

I am running it on Slackware 12 (Kernel 2.6.27.7) and on Linpus Lite (Kernel 2.6.?).
There are some issues and limitations with each but no real show-stoppers so far.
Quite new to RB, but not to Linux, here.
Regards,
BG