Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cannot create a DB in Linux with 2009r2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 am 

A year ago, I ended my relationship with Windows. Today, I am a happy Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) user. I am searching for a good development language I can use in Linux and REALbasic looks REAL promising. Yesterday, I installed the Deb version of 2009r2. What a great interface! I tried out a lot of controls (nearly half of them?), properties settings, and many menu options. Everything I tried worked perfectly...yay! Then I tried to create a DB in RB. I entered rbtest as the name and saved to the REALbasic folder. In the Project Editor (Project tab) when I try to open the schema so I can add a table, RB crashes. Different DB names and different save locations (in new sessions of RB, of course) all produced the same result. Anyone know of a workaround?

Post subject: Re: Cannot create a DB in Linux with 2009r2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:40 am 

ok, I'm not a database guy, but I do have a suggestion...
The next release of Ubuntu is supposed to come out in 3 days or so. Maybe wait and see if databases will work on the new Ubuntu release? Or perhaps you need admin rights to create/edit a database in the RB project folder? I seem to recall that RB installed into a directory that was read-only to non-admin users...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am 

Thanks for your ideas. I was able to save an empty database (rbtest) in the REALbase folder OK. Also saved another (rbtest1) in the /home/randy folder. Either way, attempts to edit the DB--to add a table--resulted in a REALbase crash. I have had SQLite (3.3.6) on this PC for nearly a year, and it works great. Good point about v9.04. I could give REALbasic another test run after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 but before installing SQLite, and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm 

Just gave it a try. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and RB2009r2. I created and saved a blank database from the RB-IDE but when I tried to edit the database RB locked up and a message window poped up to send the error codes to RS. Could not get rid of the ERROR message box and could not shut down RB. Had to use System Monitor to shut down RB.

Looks like a BUG to me.

I'll give it one more try and if it does not function properly I'll report it to RS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:43 pm 

You could also download an older version of RB-Linux from Real Software. I did just now (RB2007r5) - installed and built a database in the IDE with no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 pm 

Paul Burnside wrote:
You could also download an older version of RB-Linux from Real Software. I did just now (RB2007r5) - installed and built a database in the IDE with no problem.

I've used 2007r5 on the Mac before - have yet to have a single problem with it. So far I'm using 2007r5 on the Mac and 2008r5.1 on Windows & Linux - they all work wonderfully together!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:59 pm 

I wouldn't use the IDE to create/maintain the database. There are much better tools available.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm 

timhare wrote:
I wouldn't use the IDE to create/maintain the database. There are much better tools available.

Tim

I agree Tim, the RB IDE is not the ideal database management tool. OTOH, my goal is to develop a free program for use on Linux, Mac, and Windows PCs) that will use the USDA database of over 7,000 foods to help people monitor their nutrition, additional tables to track their activity and estimate calories burned. Then the program will provide on-demand reports to suggest possible trouble areas. My plan is to distribute the program free so, on balance, an integrated database has great appeal to me vs. supporting hundreds (or thousands?) of non-technical downloaders who have no idea what an ODBC DSN is, let alone how to create one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:18 pm 

You misunderstand. I'm not saying don't use REALSQLDatabase, I'm just saying use a different tool to create it. The IDE "database editor" has always felt like an afterthought. REALSQLDatabase is sqlite. There are lots of tools available to create and administer an sqlite database. Then you only have to open the db in your code.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 pm 

Paul Burnside wrote:

What a great idea, Paul! You just saved me a boatload of time and testing. Seems like I ought to be able to create the DB in the 2007r5, add some tables, then take the DB to 2009r2, to gain RB's latest benefits, and make future DB mods there. Do you know whether I can use the same license key on two different versions (2007r5 & 2009r2) or will I need to get a second, different key for the older version? Or I suppose I could run that older one with no key if all I do with it is create new databases. This seems like an excellent workaround until a REAL Software wiz figures out what's wrong with 2009r2 and fixes it. Thanks, Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm 

My experiments today suggest there is a definite BUG in the built-in database designer in Linux - 2009r1 - r2. I wouldn't suggest using it under any circumstances.....never know what might happen.

If you use 2007r5 (or some other application) to build your database AND use 2009r1-r2 to connect to the database (using code) then you should have no problems. The problem is pasting (or importing) the Database object into your project and then trying to use the Database Designer.

Hope this helps and by the way, I agree with Tim about there being other good tools for designing the database.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 pm 

timhare wrote:
You misunderstand. I'm not saying don't use REALSQLDatabase, I'm just saying use a different tool to create it. The IDE "database editor" has always felt like an afterthought. REALSQLDatabase is sqlite. There are lots of tools available to create and administer an sqlite database. Then you only have to open the db in your code.

Tim

Yes, I misunderstood. So I went to an existing SQLite 3 DB with a 7-column table containing several hundred rows of data. To my delight, starting at the Top Menu, I was able to select Project | Add | Database | Select REAL SQL Database... I then navigated to my SQLite folder and selected the tab.db3 existing database. Sure enough, tap appeared in the Name column on the Project Editor (Project tab). Then when I double-clicked on "tap" to open the schema dialog box, wham! I get the Application Error message box and I have to use my "Force Quit" button to close RB 2009r2. Looks like I may need to take a cue from Paul and go back a couple years to get a working version of RB for dev't in Linux. {sigh}

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm 

Don't do it that way. Access it completely in code. Don't try to add it as a project item.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 pm 

On Linux Desktop, use the add/remove function under the Applications tab then search under "All Open Source applications" for "SQLite database browser." I just found this little program and haven't had time to play with it but it looks good.

I agree with Tim.......use this or some other SQLite database manager program to create and modify your databases and used CODE only to connect to the database in RB2009r1 - r2. Don't try to import or paste your database as a project item in your project.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:12 am 

Immediately after my last post, I downloaded/installed 2007r5 and found that my DB woes were gone. Ah, success. However, I was surprised to find the download was only around 68 MB (vs. 108 MB with 2009r2). I realize there is additional DB connectivity stuff in 2009r2, but quite a few other things must have been added to the newest version that make it more robust than the 2007 version.

I use the "SQLite Database Browser" to create and maintain my SQLite databases. For some reason, I erroneously assumed that using RB with an external SQLite DB was going to be more complex than using an internal RB database. Thank you, Paul and Tim, for setting me straight. I will now go forward and do what you suggested with 2009r2.

P.S. I am impressed with both the quality and timeliness of support on this forum.