Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems with Linux RB?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:55 am 

Has any Linux user experienced problems with the following:

1: I can not use the Help button to access the online Language Reference?? If yours works, or you fixed it, please let me know. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox and it does not open, but reports an error.
I get this error:
Description: [Auto] Unhandled exception in LRHTMLRendering.GetPage%%s&s(2008r4)

Extra: Exception Type: NilObjectException

Stack Trace:

LRHTMLRendering.GetPage%%s&s

LRHTMLRendering.GetTOCPage%s%

LRHTMLRendering.PageForTableOfContents%s%b

LanguageReferenceWindow.LanguageReferenceWindow.LoadHome%%o<LanguageReferenceWindow.LanguageReferenceWindow>

LanguageReferenceWindow.LanguageReferenceWindow.GoHome%%o<LanguageReferenceWindow.LanguageReferenceWindow>

OnlineHelp.Present

IDEApp.HandleCommand%b%o<IDEApp>o<Commands.Command>

Commands.Dispatch%%o<Commands.Command>

Commands.Dispatch%%s

IDEApp._HelpLanguageReference_Action%b%o<IDEApp>

Delegate.Invoke%%

Application._CallFunctionWithExceptionHandling%%o<Application>p

REALbasic._RuntimeRun

_Main

% main

2: Problems with HTMLviewer?

3: Problems with Printing Code? In spite of having CUPS, a working printer otherwise, I can not print my code or any portion. No error is reported. It simply does nothing.

System here is Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy, Kernel 2.6.24-23-generic, Gnome 2.22.3, memory 3.1Gb, AMD64 Processor 3000+, about 60Gb hard disk available. And yes, I already know that 64 bit is not supported.

Thanks folks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Problems with Linux RB?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 pm 
Real Software Engineer

astrodan wrote:
Has any Linux user experienced problems with the following:

1: I can not use the Help button to access the online Language Reference?? If yours works, or you fixed it, please let me know. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox and it does not open, but reports an error.
I get this error:
Description: [Auto] Unhandled exception in LRHTMLRendering.GetPage%%s&s(2008r4)

Known and fixed in newer revisions

Quote:
2: Problems with HTMLviewer?

Like ????????

Quote:
3: Problems with Printing Code? In spite of having CUPS, a working printer otherwise, I can not print my code or any portion. No error is reported. It simply does nothing.

hmmm not that I'm aware of

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 am 

Hi Norman,

Known and fixed in newer revisions

I hope you don't take this personal, but, you're saying there is only one version of RB Linux which has this feature working?? And if I just don't happen to fork out an extra $250, I don't get a version which works? When this was fixed, all registered Professional version users should have been notified. Things like this should not be something a registered user needs to hunt for. If they want to send me an ad, they do not have any trouble getting the email through.

As for HTMLviewer, if I understand this correctly, RB uses this feature for the Help screen. So, it also must be repaired, right?? Again, I don't expect to have to chase to bugs which are repaired on a Professional copy of anything, Linux or not.

Printing, simply just does not work. It does not report an on-screen error, now, that does not mean that it is not logged somewhere, I just was hoping that I didn't have to chase it down. I'll be curious to hear if this is just my machine or me. Let me know would ya.

Before you get the wrong impression, I like RB a lot. I think the features and innovations they offer are terrific, especially for a none programmer like me. I don't necessarily agree with some of their policies, but the people which work for RB are super.

Best wishes,
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:22 pm 

Your Help Viewer problem was fixed before 2008r5, because I'm using that on a Ubuntu VM and the Help system works like a charm... With regards to printing, I wouldn't know because I've never tried... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:17 am 

Wow, looks like I just missed it. :cry: I use 2008R4.

Actually, it would not be a problem if I weren't going back and forth with RB about their price for renewal. I feel any product, ANY PRODUCT, which can get 10% of its cost returned each YEAR, is plenty. RB seems to believe they should beat their own customers into paying 25- 50% of the product cost, EACH YEAR.

On top of it, RB seems to believe that bugs are natural. They sold me a defective product, then repair the defect, but never inform or provide the registered users with the bug fix. So, unless you agree to feed them money, you never really have any assurance that what you bought will ever work the way they advertised.

Because the staff working for RB are absolutely super, from the founder on down, I will keep trying to convince RB that LInux really is a worthwhile adventure for them. After all, it is the second most used operating system in the world, though somewhat distant. What they do not seem to realize is most Linux owners do not write programs for money, money, money. Instead, many are students, hobbyists, or just non programmers like myself, which, have a software need for which there is no software supply. And, for which, prices in the $$$$$$$, just simply won't be paid.

It is interesting to me, I read recently, a comment from the FOUNDER of RB about how noble it is to help others without the desire to be paid. In business, of course, that can not be. But still, to expect to receive a return of 25-50% on any investment, each year... really.

Please let me know about the printing in Linux, I am curious if this is just some manifestation of my machine.

Dan

As you can tell, I'm not programming for profit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 am 

The reason printing does not work is probably because you try to use PrinterSetupDialog. The language reference says this: "The Page Setup dialog is not supported on Linux builds. Calling this function will return False with no dialog presented to the user." Because of this, RB supports only 72dpi printing on Linux.

I have posed the question as to why this is, and so far nobody seems to be able or willing to answer it.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am 

Hi Frank,

No, I am referring to printing direct from the RB top menu. I just want to print the code out which I am writing. I am not trying any setup from within RB. Just try Print.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 am 

I have done that and it works. However, the font size was huge and it looked like a draft. I am using RB2009r1 with Ubuntu 8.10. RB can only print 72dpi on Linux. No idea why. It seems like a rediculous limitation to me.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm 

Thank you Frank,

Well, at least it worked. Somehow my setup is not picked up by Print in RB. It does absolutely nothing. Not even an error message. I suppose that I can find out what is missing in some log someplace, but, to complicate matters, I use Ubuntu 8.04, an AMD64 processor, and RB2008R4.

They claim to have repaired it in a later version, but, I downloaded the 2009R2a4 and it still did not work with my CUPSYS and printer. Of course, RB continues to advance with the times, so sooner or later this will be resolved. Until then, I think I will wait it out.

Thanks again for checking it,

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 pm 

Or you could try the new version of Ubuntu... it's coming out in 2 days or so, and that might fix your problem... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 pm 

I might just try that. I have been watching, however, I have also read some less than great bug reports in the version. Since I have an important project, I stayed with the LTS, rather than bleeding along.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 pm 

astrodan wrote:
I might just try that. I have been watching, however, I have also read some less than great bug reports in the version. Since I have an important project, I stayed with the LTS, rather than bleeding along.

Dan

I hadn't heard anything about the new release... I will have to do some research on it as I was planning to upgrade my VM. However, I don't want to do it if I'm walking into a hornet's nest full of bugs... thanks for the heads-up! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 pm 

Quote:
Things like this should not be something a registered user needs to hunt for. If they want to send me an ad, they do not have any trouble getting the email through.

Quote:
On top of it, RB seems to believe that bugs are natural. They sold me a defective product, then repair the defect, but never inform or provide the registered users with the bug fix. So, unless you agree to feed them money, you never really have any assurance that what you bought will ever work the way they advertised.

Surprising, but sending emails costs money.
Especially to the size of user base that RB has.

The licence gives 6..12..24 months of 'free' updates, which are available at the click of a web link.
The release notes are there too.
Linux personal is even FREE (so I assume you have the pro version)

I don't know of one software manufacturer who ships bug free product, and I don't know of any who sends emails to users (registered or not) to tell them that they found, and fixed, a bug.
I have software in which I have never found a bug, and am constantly astonished when the next release appears, listing 40 fixed bugs.

OFF TOPIC:
Quote:
What they do not seem to realize is most Linux owners do not write programs for money, money, money.

This (IMO) is one of the problems that Linux has to address if it wants more 'market share'.
The current ethos is 'I didnt pay for Linux, why should I pay for a program to run on it?'
So the market to create a program for Linux that people will buy is pretty small.

Altruism is very commendable, but I suspect people won't take Linux seriously until they can buy and use the same products as the Mac and Windows community can.
The free alternatives are not always polished apps, and the 'average home/office user' isnt prepared to compile source code to get a program.

Quote:
As you can tell, I'm not programming for profit.

Sincere respect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:51 pm 

Hi Jeff,

Well, I will not beat on RB anymore.

I do own pro version of RB, and much to your surprise, Linux is now the second most used operating system in the world. Linux users are more than willing to pay for good software, and the flock to Linux softwares, such as Firefox, Open Office, and a myriad of others is proof of this statement. Since the hardware of all PCs is the same, the capability is the same. True, some would like to hide the reality and horde the money, but really, why do that to individual users??

BTW, polishing a program doesn't come from money, it comes from users. Just like here.

Synaptic, clicking what you want, then clicking install. Too difficult?? Really?

Or compiling by typing... ./configure make make install. That hardly seems too difficult for most computer users??

Nah, I think RB made a Linux version for the money they intend to get. They know that good software will always sell, no matter what the platform.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 am 

Quote:
Nah, I think RB made a Linux version for the money they intend to get. They know that good software will always sell, no matter what the platform.
I still wonder why RB limits printing on Linux to 72dpi, or is there a technical reason for that? Still nobody seems willing to answer that question.