Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Build Limitations on Linux - Simple solution?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:35 am 

Linux users need more flexibilty or options in the build process!!

In my scenario, I have to support RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5, RB2008 builds will only work on RH5 with library dependency issues causing the application not to run on ES4 mentioned in other threads here.

Now ES4 is still active and supported by RedHat, yet the RB apps are not! This to me is a major issue that should be addressed. It is not practicial to say that customers have to upgrade there OS to ES5 just for one app, it won't happen. So the other solution is to find the missing dependencies on the Red Hat Channels, no success, it is only available for ES 5 channels and installing it on ES4 is not supported by Red Hat.

So the question is what do we do?

In the RB supported plaform models it would appear that I would have to run RB2007 for ES4 compatability and RB2008 for ES5, thats not good, maintaining two projects for different platforms, plus two licenses?

Surely the simplest approach is to allow further choices in the Build Settings options by allowing the user to check a build for ES4 and/or ES5 similar to the 3 options for Macs, so from one build process we get two Linux apps. The first would be compatablie with ES4 and was compiled against the libraries that were included with RB2007 and the second against the new libraries in RB2008.

This would at least give us a better chance of getting our apps running, a single project and single build process.