Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stability problems; best distro for REALbasic?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:47 pm 

I've been playing with REALbasic for a few days now; I installed the free Linux version on Ubuntu 7.10 i386 and the professional trial version on Windows 2000 Pro for testing purposes. Both are release 5. On Windows, it appears to function in a totally stable manner. Here's my problem :?

Under Linux (fresh install with all security updates applied), the IDE hangs up routinely (can't press backspace key in code view, extremely long delays between view switches, inability to save for several seconds after edits). Is there a particular distro and/or system configuration I should be using for the Linux version? What works best from everyone's experience? I'm willing to try anything; my intent is to develop a couple of applications with the Linux version, and purchase the professional Windows version after they're completed so I can compile for all three platforms.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:04 am 

I have Ubuntu - Not sure of the exact version but I downloaded it just 3 or 4 days ago so it can't be too old.

I don't have problems with the IDE hanging. But what I do get occasionally is the IDE simply exiting/closing.

No errors, no warnings, I'm not running my app, I'm just typing text or even reading my code and suddenly GONE ! :shock:

Happens one or more times pretty much every time I use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:49 am 

I seem to remember some discussion on the NUG about problems with the latest version of Ubuntu. I use Mepis, which is built on Ubuntu 6.x and have sluggish response dragging controls in the windows, but not the problems mentioned above. I use 2006r4 Pro and 2007r2 Standard.

Don Jungk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 am 

I get that sluggish thing in Windows and MacOS too.

If you restart RB after a computer crash it would tell you that there was an unsaved project which can be restored. This suggests that RB must be keeping a kind of mirror backup of the project all the time which would need constant updating everytime anything changed. If you dragged a group of objects or a whole window then that's a lot of data that's being recorded into this 'mirror'. I was kind of assuming that that's what caused the sluggish drag especially when dragging a number of controls.

I'm probably wrong though.

Post subject: Re: Stability problems; best distro for REALbasic?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:51 am 

I use Mandriva 2008. I used Realbasic 2007r5 and Realbasic 2008r1. Both work very well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:05 am 

Maybe CentOS5 for me~ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:08 am 

The last time I tried Ubuntu and RB together, Ubuntu wasn't officially supported on RB. But I did note that it was sluggish at best, disappearing at worse. I found that Red Hat distros (didn't try Suse or Manerva) behaved better. Fedora, RHEL, CentOS all fall in this category. While not necessarily as easy to use as Ubuntu, they aren't far behind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:31 pm 

I have similar issues to those already mentioned above in Ubuntu 8.04 (and I did in 7.10 too). With 2007r5(I think) and 2008r1.

The absolute worst error is when I hit the backspace key and RB deletes the whole method I'm working on. For some reason the focus leaves the code editor and switches to the list of methods, events, etc. on the side with the open method highlighted.

Needless to say, this irritates me to no end.