Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:43 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black toolbars
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:58 pm 

Hello

I recently downloaded a copy of REALbasic for Linux and even though the application runs I'm having some difficulties using it since the toolbars turned out to be pitch black, which not only looks odd, it makes any text (which is also black) pretty hard to read. I suspect this might have to do with some GTK setting not working when it comes to handling the BMP makeup of the GUI. I don't get any error messages when running RB from a terminal though and RB being closed source tracking down the problem by inspecting the code isn't an option.

Anyway, to provide a bit more information I'm running an AMD64 Gentoo system and to get RB running in the first place I had to copy a precompiled 32bit version of the Cups library to /usr/lib32/. Besides that I also set my GCONV_PATH environment variable to /usr/lib32/gconv/ to get rid of some character conversion problems. After taking care of those issues the application does start and seems to be working quite well, except for the issue with the color of the toolbars.

Screenshot showing the problem.

Now, it should probably also be noted that other 32bit GTK applications run fine on my system. My copy of Firefox for example is also precompiled for a 32bit platform and uses GTK-2, but has no GUI problems what so ever. This is the main reason I'm thinking that the issue with RB might be connected to the use of BMP images in the GUI (see the "Resources" directory included in the distribution).

Anyway, I'm rather confused here and I really don't feel like downloading and replacing random 32bit GTK libraries to try to resolve this problem.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

// n0id

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:23 pm 

Hello there,

I had this exact same problem on Knoppix 3.9 (Debian), and I ended up just rebooting and it was fine. I don't believe I did anything else to remedy it.

Try that out, and if that doesn't work, please post back.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:49 am 

Corbin D wrote:
Hello there,

I had this exact same problem on Knoppix 3.9 (Debian), and I ended up just rebooting and it was fine. I don't believe I did anything else to remedy it.

Try that out, and if that doesn't work, please post back.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback but I've reboted a number of times since I installed RB and it doesn't change a thing on my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:04 pm 

n0id wrote:
Thanks for the feedback but I've reboted a number of times since I installed RB and it doesn't change a thing on my system.

Darn! And I thought it this would be an easy fix... :)

Ok, it's been a while since I had that problem, but maybe I did update something (I'm 37 but have bad memory).

Take a look at RB's system requirements and see if your distro has everything. You might also want to try upgrading the GTK 2+ libs and glibc also, just do it carefully. I believe the first time around when I upgraded those things, I broke stuff, but you might have better luck.

Although Linux's 'base system' is pretty standard, it seems every distro tweaks a little something here and there, especially with with the desktop environments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:15 pm 

Corbin D wrote:
n0id wrote:

Darn! And I thought it this would be an easy fix... :)

Ok, it's been a while since I had that problem, but maybe I did update something (I'm 37 but have bad memory).

Take a look at RB's system requirements and see if your distro has everything. You might also want to try upgrading the GTK 2+ libs and glibc also, just do it carefully. I believe the first time around when I upgraded those things, I broke stuff, but you might have better luck.

Although Linux's 'base system' is pretty standard, it seems every distro tweaks a little something here and there, especially with with the desktop environments.

Well, I've this far tried two different builds of both GTK2 and gilbc without any luck. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the makeup of 64-bit Gentoo systems and the way they handle 32-bit compability, but installing and uninstalling 32-bit libraries can be a bit of a fuss. This since most of us Gentoo users tend to prefer the "portage system" of the distro when adding new software. There are in fact a few versions of compability packages included under portage (those I've tried) but for other builds one will have to move around the libraries by hand.

Anyways, a prebuilt 64-bit version of RB would sure make things a lot more simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:08 pm 

hi n0id if your still having trouble try the libs from this thread http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=679

i got it working with those lib's also on a gentoo 64 bit ( all libs come from slackware 10.2 )

but i never had a problem with black toolbars(are you running on an old gtk or x server???).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:25 pm 

n0id wrote:
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the makeup of 64-bit Gentoo systems and the way they handle 32-bit compability, but installing and uninstalling 32-bit libraries can be a bit of a fuss.

Nope, haven't really got into 64-bit stuff yet, I'm still stuck on a 5-year-old 32-bit system...

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.