Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drawing to graphics on a container control Kernal Fault
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:15 am 

I've already reported this as an error with RS (ID: axhoynli) but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a work around.

I was creating a customized list view in the style of the new search results list in Mac OS X Tiger. I placed a canvas on a container control with one vertical scroll bar. I have a method for adding groups then adding items to the group. Adding items or groups calls my DrawGUI method to paint the list into the canvas. If I place a call to add items inside any type of loop structure like a FOR...NEXT loop, even with the iteration set to 1 (for i=1 to 1...) the program crashes on the Mac with a Kernal Protection Fault. This code runs correctly on the PC no matter what the loop iteration is.

Also I've discovered that if I pull the canvas out of the container and place it directly on a window, everything runs correctly on the Mac. Which leads me to think the Container Control is the issue.

Now my question, has anyone else seen this? If so did you find a work around? I could just place everything on my target window but I'd really like to use the container... I have plans that you add several more parts to this and it would be easier to use if it could be a single "control".

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Post subject: Re: Drawing to graphics on a container control Kernal Fault
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 am 

SerKevin wrote:
I've already reported this as an error with RS (ID: axhoynli) but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a work around.

I was creating a customized list view in the style of the new search results list in Mac OS X Tiger. I placed a canvas on a container control with one vertical scroll bar. I have a method for adding groups then adding items to the group. Adding items or groups calls my DrawGUI method to paint the list into the canvas. If I place a call to add items inside any type of loop structure like a FOR...NEXT loop, even with the iteration set to 1 (for i=1 to 1...) the program crashes on the Mac with a Kernal Protection Fault. This code runs correctly on the PC no matter what the loop iteration is.

Also I've discovered that if I pull the canvas out of the container and place it directly on a window, everything runs correctly on the Mac. Which leads me to think the Container Control is the issue.

Now my question, has anyone else seen this? If so did you find a work around? I could just place everything on my target window but I'd really like to use the container... I have plans that you add several more parts to this and it would be easier to use if it could be a single "control".

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Can I see your sample project for this? I find it hard to believe it's really causing a kernel panic, but if it is, wow! I'd like to see if I can reproduce it.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:44 am 

Adam,

There is a sample project attached to the bug report or drop me a message with your email on here (via the forums mail) and I'll send you the sample project that demonstraits the error.

I've tested on several Macs, the error is stable and aways reproducable.

Cheers!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:59 am 

If it is always reproducible, I think it is better to report this bug to Apple in Radar.