Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:09 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Not programing question. Opinion on a mac system request
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:34 pm 

HMARROQUINC wrote:
Of course I had to do the odd thing...

I ended up purchasing a 2.5GHz i5 Macbook Pro, comes with only 4GB RAM but I have 8GB on my desk ready to get installed and I'll order a 16GB upgrade tonight.

I'll try to hook up this thing to a 27" TV tomorrow, I already have the TV which is not in use so I'll just purchase a wall mount and see how that works out. If it doesn't work out as expected I'll get an Apple 27 screen later on.

Thanks for your input guys!

Forget the TV, while it will hook up nicely via HDMI you'll only get 1920 x 1080, the Apple screens are extortionate in price, but worth every single penny. I recently updated my main system from a '07 24" iMac with 4GB of RAM. While that thing was plenty fast enough for full time development, I was having difficulty getting memory for it (and I do need memory). So I bought a 15" rMBP with 2.6Ghz i7 and 16gb of RAM, with the 27" screen.

If you were still comparing, I would have said go for the iMac as these things do last a long time and for the price, it was a fantastic deal. The only thing that having a Retina MBP really helps (apart from being portable) is it's much easier to test Retina apps on a retina screen. I know you can fake Retina on many machines, but performance wise it's nothing like have a 4 megapixel screen.

AppWrapper - Prepare Apps for Mac App Store & OS X 10.8 - http://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm 

rowlands wrote:
HMARROQUINC wrote:
Of course I had to do the odd thing...

I ended up purchasing a 2.5GHz i5 Macbook Pro, comes with only 4GB RAM but I have 8GB on my desk ready to get installed and I'll order a 16GB upgrade tonight.

I'll try to hook up this thing to a 27" TV tomorrow, I already have the TV which is not in use so I'll just purchase a wall mount and see how that works out. If it doesn't work out as expected I'll get an Apple 27 screen later on.

Thanks for your input guys!

Forget the TV, while it will hook up nicely via HDMI you'll only get 1920 x 1080, the Apple screens are extortionate in price, but worth every single penny. I recently updated my main system from a '07 24" iMac with 4GB of RAM. While that thing was plenty fast enough for full time development, I was having difficulty getting memory for it (and I do need memory). So I bought a 15" rMBP with 2.6Ghz i7 and 16gb of RAM, with the 27" screen.

If you were still comparing, I would have said go for the iMac as these things do last a long time and for the price, it was a fantastic deal. The only thing that having a Retina MBP really helps (apart from being portable) is it's much easier to test Retina apps on a retina screen. I know you can fake Retina on many machines, but performance wise it's nothing like have a 4 megapixel screen.

I'll just wait a while and get the real thing then (monitor).

I'm still pondering if I should still purchase the iMac that I was offered. As in all things... Size DOES matter :wink: At the price I can try it for a while and if I don't like it I'll sell it to my wife for $100 more :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 pm 

HMARROQUINC wrote:
I'm still pondering if I should still purchase the iMac that I was offered. As in all things... Size DOES matter :wink: At the price I can try it for a while and if I don't like it I'll sell it to my wife for $100 more :lol:

For everyday coding the bigger the screen, the better. With the larger screen (as you'll have with the 27" iMac), I can open several RS projects at once and work very comfortably, or when building websites, I have once page open with the php, another with a live preview and then use the rMBP screen to preview the site in Retina.

Even for web browsing, I much prefer the bigger screen estate (not in Width, but in Height).

Before I bought this rMBP, I was actually all set to buy a 27" iMac, I was just waiting for the newer models to arrive (I started waiting back in April), but by winter I was tired of waiting and also started to do more work with Retina, where the Retina screen would help.

AppWrapper - Prepare Apps for Mac App Store & OS X 10.8 - http://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm 

Screen Real Estate is addictive, I do have a 25! HP windows machine and I´m in love with the size of the screen¡

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 am 

HMARROQUINC wrote:

Worth noting that a 27" TV, or many 27" monitors, have nothing like the resolution of a high resolution 27" monitor.

A 27" HDTV or a cheap 27" monitor will have a resolution of 1920x1080. A proper 27" monitor has a resolution of 2560x1440. Which is to say that the proper 27" monitor has almost twice as many pixels.

guyren-at-relevantlogic.com ~ http://relevantlogic.com

REALbasic, PHP, Ruby/Rails, Python programming
PostgreSQL, MySQL database design and consulting
Technical writing and training

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:51 am 

I believe there have been studies showing that programmers are more productive with more screen real estate. Makes sense.

I have my 27" iMac hooked up to a 27" external display. I just upgraded the iMac to one that will support two displays, and will soon be getting another 27" display.

Nothing like having your IDE, your app, your documentation, your email, your twitter feeds, Skype, iChat… all open and visible at the same time without having to faff about.

27" displays have gotten much cheaper recently. If you're in the US, monoprice is taking pre-orders for a 27" display for about $400, available in March. I have to say, if you're not making enough as a programmer to justify two or three displays at that price, you should probably find another profession.

guyren-at-relevantlogic.com ~ http://relevantlogic.com

REALbasic, PHP, Ruby/Rails, Python programming
PostgreSQL, MySQL database design and consulting
Technical writing and training