Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:02 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Global Properties in Cocoa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:49 pm 

I'm trying to run an existing project in the debugger as a Cocoa build. I had to move threads I was using to handle some complicated processes into methods just to get the app to launch. If I use threads, the app launches with an invisible window and freezes, requiring a force quit.

Now I have a problem where global properties that are given values in the window's open event result in NilObjectException errors when the app attempts to run. It appears that the global properties are not being set in the open event as they should be. I have to declare the values in each method and set their values there in order to get the app to run.

Are global properties not allowed in Cocoa or is the beta implementation of Cocoa not handling global properties or window events correctly?

http://www.capaho.com

Post subject: Re: Global Properties in Cocoa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:42 pm 

Global variables are most certainly allowed in Cocoa.. and work exactly the same way (as far as I can see) as they do in Carbon.

When you say you get a NIL EXCEPTION... I am assuming you are initializing OBJECT/CLASS instances... not simple string or numeric values (since those can not be NIL).

You mentioned that you have code to initialize them in the OPEN event (of a window?)...... but they ARE defined as PUBLIC variables in a MODULE right? Variables defined only in the scope of a WINDOW are valid only while that WINDOW is active (and has it self been initialized).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm 
Real Software Engineer

capaho wrote:
I'm trying to run an existing project in the debugger as a Cocoa build. I had to move threads I was using to handle some complicated processes into methods just to get the app to launch. If I use threads, the app launches with an invisible window and freezes, requiring a force quit.

This is usually a sign that you'r manipulating the UI from a thread - which is a no no that causes ALL kinds of badness (like you're seeing)

capaho wrote:
Now I have a problem where global properties that are given values in the window's open event result in NilObjectException errors when the app attempts to run. It appears that the global properties are not being set in the open event as they should be. I have to declare the values in each method and set their values there in order to get the app to run.

Are global properties not allowed in Cocoa or is the beta implementation of Cocoa not handling global properties or window events correctly?

Try setting them in the constructor (if you have one)

Remember that the WINDOWS open event runs AFTER all control open events - and that manipulating the value of a control to set it up MAY cause events to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 am 

And events may happen in a different order in cocoa than in carbon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 am 

Thanks for the responses. I'll add a constructor and see if that solves the problem with the properties.

As for the threads, one of them populates a listbox and updates a progress bar, so I suppose that would be updating the UI from a thread.

http://www.capaho.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am 
Real Software Engineer

capaho wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I'll add a constructor and see if that solves the problem with the properties.

As for the threads, one of them populates a listbox and updates a progress bar, so I suppose that would be updating the UI from a thread.

Yes that would be

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 pm 

Hi,

Huh, you cannot adjust a UI from a thread? But thats the only way a progress bar and some other things are supposed to work as far as I knew. I also populate a listbox from a thread and why are you not supposed to do that? My app is running as cocoa so it seems to work but I am wondering why your not supposed to update a UI from a thread? Could someone explain that?

Grant