Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:38 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with Application Icons
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm 

Hello,

I am using RB2008 and running on Mac OS 10.6.7.

I'm having a problem getting the icon that I assign to my app to show up properly. When I go into the "Edit Icon" window from the app class, there are three imagewells to paste icons to (for each different size & etc. of icon): Image, Mask, and Preview. I paste my icon into the Image one, and then paste again onto Mask. When I do the latter, a version of my icon also automatically appears in the Preview spot--but this one's colors are dimmer than those in the original image (which shows up correctly in the "Image" spot). And then when I build the app, it's this "Preview" version--with the muted colors--that actually seems to get used!?

Can anybody tell me what is going on here and why? Am I doing something dumb?

Dave J.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Application Icons
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 pm 
Real Software Engineer

FlyingPenguin wrote:
Hello,

I am using RB2008 and running on Mac OS 10.6.7.

I'm having a problem getting the icon that I assign to my app to show up properly. When I go into the "Edit Icon" window from the app class, there are three imagewells to paste icons to (for each different size & etc. of icon): Image, Mask, and Preview. I paste my icon into the Image one, and then paste again onto Mask. When I do the latter, a version of my icon also automatically appears in the Preview spot--but this one's colors are dimmer than those in the original image (which shows up correctly in the "Image" spot). And then when I build the app, it's this "Preview" version--with the muted colors--that actually seems to get used!?

Can anybody tell me what is going on here and why? Am I doing something dumb?

Dave J.

Dont paste the same image into the mask
The mask should be black where you want things to show & white where you dont (or tones of grey for various levels of opacity)
By pasting the same image into the mask you get muted colors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 pm 

Hmm. I'm not sure we're understanding each other (though I don't know if it's you not understanding me, or vice versa).

The "Mask" image, of course, ends up in grays--but that isn't what concerns me. My problem is that when I paste my icon to the "Mask" spot, an image also appears in the "Preview" spot. This image isn't in greys like the mask; it's in color. But the colors are just...dimmer (best way I can explain it) than those of the original image. And this "dimmer" version is also the version that actually seems to get used when I build the app, too, for some reason... I really don't understand it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 pm 

Okay, never mind--I see what you mean now. I tried posting a properly black and white mask image in for the mask, and it fixed the problem. I get what you were saying now; the greys in the mask image as it was before was making my image semi-transparent, hence the "muted colors"...right?

(So the answer to my original question was: Yes, I WAS doing something dumb...) :)

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 am 
Real Software Engineer

FlyingPenguin wrote:
Okay, never mind--I see what you mean now. I tried posting a properly black and white mask image in for the mask, and it fixed the problem. I get what you were saying now; the greys in the mask image as it was before was making my image semi-transparent, hence the "muted colors"...right?
Dave

Yes
They act as a filter to allow you to do varying levels of opacity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 pm 

I should have realized that from the start, but I guess my brain was on vacation. Anyway, thanks again for your help. :)