Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:24 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Cannot execute binary file"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 pm 

I'm curious... I do not own a Mac, so sorry if this is supposed to be a blatantly obvious answer, but how would I go about executing my compiled binary on a Mac?

I compiled my app for Windows, Linux, and Mac. The app works fine for Linux and Windows, but when I attempted to have a beta tester test my app for Mac using the Universal Binary AND the Intel x86 Binary that was compiled, it gives the error "Cannot execute binary file".

I've told them to chmod +x the file prior to executing with no result. The app compiles into a .tar file... there are other dependancies other than what are stored in /lib so I added them to the tar in the proper locations.

Is there something I'm unaware of?

Post subject: Re: "Cannot execute binary file"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm 

The Mac Application has a file extension ".app"

I am not sure how it looks like on the Windows version though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 am 

I'm on a Mac so I haven't tried this. The User Guide also doesn't say anything after a quick look about this. As far as I remember the files are compressed in a way in Windows. Normally, on the Mac a double-click should start the Archive Utility. Tar files should uncompress to an app. There are no additional files needed. On the Mac the application IS as folder, but looks like a file and contains everything that makes the app.

HTH

Trixi

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: The email archiving solution for professionals

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 am 

Assuming the program doesn't have any external dependencies and doesn't include any Windows-specific code (calls to DLLs or such), then getting it to run on the Mac should be pretty easy:
1. If compiled on Windows RS will generate the progname.app.tar file, which you send to the user.
2. The user double-clicks the .app.tar file to reveal the progname.app executable. (Only needs to do this the first time.)
3. The user double-clicks the .app file to run the program on the Mac.

However, if you really want to support Macs, you will probably want/need to get a Mac so you can test on the Mac and tweak your code as needed. (RS is cross-platform, but there are fundamental differences between Macs and Windows that you'll need to address through OS-specific code.) Having a Mac will also give you the ability to package the progname.app file and any required files as a .dmg file for your Mac users.

Or, get a Mac and run a VM environment on it like Fusion or Parallels, then run Windows as a VM on the Mac. That gives you access to OS X, Windows (multiple versions), and even Linux on the same system--excellent for cross-platform development. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Thank you all for your replies.

After talking with the testers for a bit, I discovered that the app is actually running, but in the background as a Service.
This is because, well, I have the app set to run as a Service.

It's strange though, because Windows will run it as a console application in a terminal window, as will Linux. Mac, however, seems to just load it instantly as a service regardless. No option to run in a console. Bummer... I just set it back as a console application and things are fine, just wish there was a way to send my console app to the background for windows users, while still allowing them to view the console at some point.