Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Apple's MAS Approval - hit or miss?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 pm 

So I decided to submit a bug-fix version to update my current app on the App Store and got rejected:
Quote:
We've completed the review of your app but cannot post this version to the App Store because your application is creating files in the incorrect directories. This is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines <https://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/guidelines.html>

2.30 Apps that do not comply with the Mac OS X File System documentation will be rejected

The application is creating files or writing to <~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter>. Please review the section "File-System Usage Requirements for the App Store" on this page <http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/documents/submitting.html> for further guidance.

Additionally, your application links to a missing framework. This is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines <https://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/guidelines.html>

2.14 Apps must be packaged and submitted using Apple's packaging technologies included in Xcode - no third party installers allowed.

To ensure optimal use of Xcode please review the guidelines found in Submit Your Application using Xcode, and Submit Your Application using Application Loader, at <http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/documents/submitting.html>

We have included additional details below to help explain the issue and hope you’ll consider revising and resubmitting your app.

The application links against </usr/local/lib/HXRuntime Carbon Mach-O.dylib>, which is missing.

For discrete code-level questions, you may wish to consult with Apple Developer Technical Support at <http://developer.apple.com/support/resources/technicalsupport/>. Depending on your questions, be sure to include any symbolicated crash logs, screenshots, or steps to reproduce the issues you’ve encountered.

If you have any questions about this response, or would like to discuss it further, please feel free to reply to this email. If you would like to appeal this issue, please submit a request to the App Review Board at <http://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/contact.html>.

We look forward to reviewing your revised app.

It's a simple bug fix with no new additions or changes that would have made it different from the 1st version that was approved. Did I just get an anal reviewer? Apple's review process is so lame, really.

Anyone know what "HXRuntime Carbon Mach-O.dylib" is?

Post subject: Re: Apple's MAS Approval - hit or miss?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:25 pm 

Use another REAL Studio version.

Seems like 2009r2 and 2010r5 are okay, but 2010r2 failed for me with this HXRuntime file.

Greetings
Christian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 pm 

It's just silly. I used the same version for my app (2009R4) and the first version made it to the App Store without any problems. I'll just wait for people to write me and send them the updated version via e-mail. I'm so sick of Apple's approval process right now. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:36 pm 

MonkeybreadSoftware wrote:
Use another REAL Studio version.

Seems like 2009r2 and 2010r5 are okay, but 2010r2 failed for me with this HXRuntime file.

Greetings
Christian

Christian,

Are you saying some of your apps got rejected by the App Store too because of this HXRruntime file? First, what is it and why is RB linking against a missing file??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:42 pm 

I compiled app with RS 2010r2 and it was rejected because of that HXRuntime file.

I'm not sure, but this import lib is a something they removed later.

Greetings
Christian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm 

I really would like someone from REAL to explain what this file is and which version of Real Studio is linking to it - especially since it is "missing." I am not particularly interested in moving to the latest and greatest version of RS because I will have to do a good amount of code changes to be fully compliant with the new RS. This is not something fun to do on a large project.

It's important to know because all of my current and future projects will be submitted to the App Store and I don't want to wait weeks again just to be rejected by this library.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm 

FYI, this is the response I got for questioning the first reason why they rejected my app update:

Apple's reply:
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your calcification on guideline 2.30. We will still need a new binary that resolves the 2.14 issue. We will notify you if any further assistance is needed.

Said
Mac Developer Program

************************************************************************************
Converse with fellow developers and Apple engineers on technical topics.
Apple Developer Forums — http://devforums.apple.com
************************************************************************************

My question to Apple:
Quote:
To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for your feedback. I am puzzled as to your first point:

"The application is creating files or writing to <~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter>. Please review the section "File-System Usage Requirements for the App Store" on this page <http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/documents/submitting.html> for further guidance."

CrashReporter is a function of the OS, not my application. If you go by this, then pretty much every application on the Mac App Store should be rejected because when they crash, they will create files in this directory. This is an unfair reason to reject applications, not just my own, but in general as we have no control to how/where Mac OS X's crash reporter decides to store its data.

Please clarify this section for me before I start fixing the issues you had discovered.

This just goes to show you that Apple app reviewers sometimes reject your apps for events outside of our control. I'll still have to fix that HXRuntime issue though. Please, someone from REAL, shed some light on this library so we can avoid this issue in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm 
Real Software Engineer

We believe that the message about HXRuntime is a false-positive in Apple's automated rejection tools.

The bulk of the REALbasic framework is implemented in C++ and lives in the 'rbframework.dylib' file next to your executable. When you build an application, the REALbasic linker hardcodes the relative path to that dylib. This can be seen by running 'otool -L' on your binary:
[joe@Mac-Pro.local ~] otool -L '/My Application.app/Contents/MacOS/My Application'
My Application:
&nbsp; &nbsp;@executable_path/rbframework.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
&nbsp; &nbsp;/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Carbon (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
&nbsp; &nbsp;/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)

Dylibs also have an 'install name', which is used solely by 'ld64' (the linker that comes with Xcode). When you link a binary using Xcode, ld64 takes the install name of the library it's going to link in and then embeds it in your resulting binary. Since REALbasic does not use ld64, we have simply left the install name for rbframework.dylib at its default. This can be seen by running 'otool -l' and searching for the install name's load command:
[joe@Mac-Pro.local ~] otool -l '/My Application.app/Contents/MacOS/rbframework.dylib'
Load command 5
cmd LC_ID_DYLIB
cmdsize 72
name /usr/local/lib/HXRuntime Carbon Mach-O.dylib (offset 24)
time stamp 1 Wed Dec 31 19:00:01 1969
current version 1.0.0
compatibility version 1.0.0

Our guess is that Apple has an automated tool that is looking at the install name of rbframework.dylib and rejecting it because it does not exist. However, since the install name is unused by anything but ld64, it is a false positive and not something Apple should be looking at.

While a future version of REALbasic will contain an install name that does not trigger this false positive, a temporary solution is to manually change the install name via install_name_tool:
[joe@Mac-Pro.local ~] install_name_tool -id '@executable_path/rbframework.dylib' '/My Application.app/Contents/MacOS/rbframework.dylib'

Last edited by jranieri on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thanks for the info, Joe. We just got our rejection email about our app this morning. Which is funny because they accepted the previous version compiled with the exact same version of RB. Go figure.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:59 pm 

I think it would be helpful if everyone that has successfully posted to the App store could note what version of RS they are using. Christian mentioned that 2010R2 caused a rejection but is it that black and white?

Can those of you that have posted an app or have been rejected post what version you built it with?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 pm 

@paulg: like I said, I used the same version RB2009R4 to compile the bug-fix update version as the one currently in the App Store. I'm not sure why the first version got accepted and the second got rejected. It almost seems like a crapshoot with Apple's review team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 pm 

@jranieri: thank you for the information as it both sheds some light on the mystery as well as gives us (me, anyways) confidence in RS's future in relation to the Mac App Store. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 pm 

I was also just rejected for this reason (HXRuntime Carbon Mach-O.dylib) today and will give jranieri's temporary solution a shot. I am using RS 2010 r2.1.

If anyone has success with this fix, please post the good news.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 pm 

I've had several accepted now with 2010r5.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Although I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure the IDE version is irrelevant. I know that library has existed for a long time, at the very least since before I started in 2008. I believe the difference is that Apple's automated system has evolved since the original round of submissions, and is now rejecting based on this false-positive.