Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:24 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: App without menubar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:59 pm 

Is it possible to to build an application that hasn't a menubar? I know it is possible to hide it, but I would like to see the menubar of the app which was active before mine was activated.

Thanks in advance!

Arie Pieter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 pm 

There is a window property to select a menu bar. Select none. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but that will build an application with no menu bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:45 pm 

Nevermind that last post. It still has a menu bar when run on a Mac, even after I chose no menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:16 am 

What is your program trying to do? If you are creating game, or an app that works with other apps, the type of window you choose can make the difference.

For example, I use a global floating window with the app I am creating for work, since it specifically works with Photoshop. Since there's only a call for quiting in the menu to the app, and it rarely makes any RB calls, it rarely ever returns to itself. (I even included code to have it return to Photoshop when it's done with what it has to do within the app.)

Just a thought. :)

Wayne C. Winquist

Not Wayne's World Wordpress
Not Wayne's World MySpace!
Not Wayne's World Yahoo! 360

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:50 am 

I'd like to make a simple tool. Users can click on the window, but I don't like to show only an application menu with a quit item. So it is not a game, I just want that people don't notice that they are switching between apps.

I don't know whether it's possible to make my app a process: without a dockicon and menubar? What are the possibilities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:49 am 

Cool, you're talking to someone who's been there. :D

* Go with the Global Floating Window. It rides on top of the other apps, and you can use it with other apps (for example, to make a window that feeds a few variables to a script.)

* If you want it to exit the program when the window is closed, insert "quit" into the "close" event of the window. Simple as that.

I would leave the menu and dock icon in, even though for the most part they're unnecessary. I was going to do my app like that, but after having observed my coworkers who used the first versions of the program this past year, I can tell you right now they're not always going to follow "your design." Design your tool for whoever it is that you're doing it for, then take the feedback and improve that way, since it's the people you're designing it for that are going to care the most. (A lot of the stuff I am doing now is the combination of their feedback, ideas that didn't make it the first time, and new ideas that have come up since.

If you're still needing to remove the menubar and dock icon, give me a few weeks - I may have something by then. (As I said above, I wouldn't advise it, but then again, I don't know what it is that you are designing.)

I hope this helps you. :D

Wayne C. Winquist

Not Wayne's World Wordpress
Not Wayne's World MySpace!
Not Wayne's World Yahoo! 360