Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Copy, Paste, etc. for two panels on a TabPanel
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 pm 

I'm running Windows and writing for Windows and I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm hoping that I've come to the right place for help.

Here's the background. I'm using a TabPanel, one panel of which (SourcePanel) contains a SourceEditField and another panel of which (XMLPanel) contains an XMLEditField (I know, I should be using TextArea instead of EditField, but I'm building on a program written before EditField was deprecated).

What I want to do is to define (or redefine?) Copy, Paste, Select All, etc. so that they work with both panels, so that Copy copies selected text from either panel and Paste pastes Copied text to either panel.

Here's what I've come up with so far for the menu bar (and please tell me if it's a totally wrong approach)....

Function mnuEditCopy ( ) As Boolean:

Dim Clipboard1 As New Clipboard
If TabPanel1.Value = SourcePanel Then
Clipboard1.Text = SourceEditField.SelText
Clipboard1.Close
End If
If TabPanel1.Value = XMLPanel Then
Clipboard1.Text = XMLEditField.SelText
Clipboard1.Close
End If
Return True

Function mnuEditPaste ( ) As Boolean:

Dim Clipboard1 As New Clipboard
If SourceEditField.ReadOnly = False _
And TabPanel1.Value = SourcePanel Then
SourceEditField.SelText = Clipboard1.Text
Clipboard1.Close
End If
If XMLEditField.ReadOnly = False _
And TabPanel1.Value = XMLPanel Then
XMLEditField.SelText = Clipboard1.Text
Clipboard1.Close
End If
Return True

Function mnuEditSelectAll ( ) As Boolean:

If TabPanel1.Value = SourcePanel Then
SourceEditField.SelStart = 0
SourceEditField.SelLength = Len ( SourceEditField.Text )
End If
If TabPanel1.Value = XMLPanel Then
XMLEditField.SelStart = 0
XMLEditField.SelLength = Len ( SourceEditField.Text )
End If
Return True

Am I re-inventing the wheel or worse? I think this is the first time I've used Copy, Paste, etc. in a program, so the way I'm approaching this may may be entirely the wrong way. Copy, Paste, and Select All seem to work okay, but I don't have the slightest idea on how to approach Cut or Undo, and I'm not really sure that I'm using the right approach for Copy, Paste, and Select All.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Barry Traver

Post subject: Re: Copy, Paste, etc. for two panels on a TabPanel
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 am 

I think you're reinventing the wheel. The standard select-all (ctrl-A), copy (ctrl-C) and paste (ctrl-V) commands should work out of the gate. If not, just add the standard edit menu items to the menubar.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:11 am 

TIm,

You're right. I'm embarrassed because I expected (and, worse yet, assumed) the task to be more difficult than it was. If I had tried it out, I would have learned that the fact that two panels of a TabPanel were involved did not complicate things. My apologies for asking a question that I shouldn't have needed it to ask.

It has been said that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Well, maybe not, but, if not, my question certainly at least comes close....

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 am 

I blame Windows - it seems to instill a complicated sense of thinking :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:39 am 

I've still got a problem. Yes, Copy, Paste, and Select All do work in a bare-bones program for testing. BUT they do not work in my real program.

If I do a CTRL-C, CTRL-V, or CTRL-A without my code, nothing happens, It only works if I add the code I provided earlier. If I comment out my code, as I said, nothing happens (and, yes, I make sure that I have made SourceEditField to be NOT ReadOnly).

I'm still probably missing something simple, but right now I don't know what it is....

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 am 

So you are still overriding the build-in commands? Using "now empty" code? And you are surprised nothing happens?

Commenting code out is not the same as stopping the overriding of the build-in routines.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:35 pm 

As Markus suggests, RB will use the first menu handler it encounters as it moves up the hierarchy and execute whatever code is in it. If there's no code, then it executes just that: nothing. Unfortunately, there's really no way to comment out a menu handler. You have to delete all the text in the handler, including comments.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm 

TIm and Markus,

Thanks for the comments. I may not have progressed to the point where I really fully understand what I'm doing, so I'll tell you what I did and perhaps you can tell me if I did something wrong (but it does seem to work now!).

My attempt to stop the overriding of the built-in routines was to delete entirely the routines related to the built-in stuff for Copy, Paste, and Select All.

That is, I highlighted in the left column of the screen mnuEditCopy,, mnuEditPaste, and mnuEditSelectAll one by one and pressed Delete on the right side of the keyboard, acting on my understanding of things that if you have anything in such routines, it replaces (prevents from operating) the built-in stuff.

Even though I at least partly understood what you were saying, I was still surprised when the result of my removing the routines was that Copy, Paste, and SelectAll -- rather then staying lost (or getting even more lost) -- reappeared, and now Copy, Paste, and SelectAll seem to be working perfectly in spite of their now being in a sense invisible.

I was even more surprised to see that removal of mnuEditUndo led to a reappearance of Undo, no longer "seen" (as a code routine), but actively working to do what Undo is supposed to do.

Here's the paradox. When there was a visible routine for such things, the mere existence of the routine (even or especially if only comments) meant that a command didn't work. When, on the other hand, the routine was removed (i.e., not just made invisible but made nonexistent), Copy and the others came out from wherever they were hiding to do the work they were supposed to do.

So removing the actual routines -- rather than the mere commenting out of code -- led to the stopping the over-writing of the built-in routines.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things. I hope I've correctly understood the main points of what you were saying.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 pm 

Quote:
I hope I've correctly understood the main points of what you were saying.

I believe you have.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 am 

The TextArea supports the system's handling of copy/cut/paste. As does any custom class you make based on the TextArea.

If you want to override it you can add an EventHandler to your custom class and write some code yourself.

If you return TRUE from the MenuHandler then that means the MenuHandler has handled it all and will not call up the chain: "Yeah, I dealt with it"

If you return FALSE from the MenuHandler then that means the MenuHandler has done its thing and will now execute the code further up the chain: "Nah, I haven't dealt with it all"

As long as your EventHandler is there it will be called - you have to completely remove the EventHandler to get rid of it.

If you keep the EventHandler and just comment out the code then what happens depends on what value you return. True doesn't call the normal routines, FALSE does.

Put this in a custom EditField and play around with it:

Function EditCopy() As Boolean

beep

Return True

End Function