Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Help for a Switcher
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 am 

Ok... here is something I just tried.....

On my mac... I compiled for Windows (I do NOT have professional, so it warned me the app would run for 5 min max... thats fine)

I then took the created folder and moved it to my BOOTCAMP partition (running WinXP sp3).... there was my app... with its nice pretty icon.... I clicked on it. an BOOM... it crashed... "App has encountered a problem... we apologize ..yada yada"

Something special I should be putting in the APP properites window (MDI is NOT checked, nor is GDIPLUS)

If I can't get it to at least run for the 5 min trial time, I sure can't invest more money to support windows....

Any ideas???

[EDIT]
Forgot that right now I am calling a few OSX specific items.... and THAT is what crashed!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 am 

Dave: your best bet is to get hold of the trial Windows RealStudio, and take your whole code directory over so you can run it natively and in debug mode.
Windows builds look rubbish frankly, unless you do a lot of work to address flicker.
Mac shields you from this.
In fact, its worse than that because if (like me) you run a VM on a Mac machine, the VM benefits from OSX double buffering and so you don't see how bad it is!

But remote debug or not, I fond there is no substitute for running windows builds on a windows machine.
A VM will do for test and build, but then you still have to test on a real machine.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 am 

Kermit.. that is exactly what I plan on doing.... I was just curious to see what it looked like, and thought a quick 5 min run would show me how much more work I had coming

[EDIT]
Well it got it to work... but you are right the FLICKERING is TERRIBLE...... and it WAY slower (under OSX it constructs the database in about 2 seconds.... under windows it took almost 45 seconds)..... But most of the font sizes seemed to translate just fine... but there is more "windows" work obviously to make it close to the caliber of my OSX version.... but then that is exactly what I wanted to find out.

[Edit] Since I was already pre-buffering all my graphics for OSX, I turned on the DOUBLEFBUFFER option and it didn't hurt OSX at all, and made the Windows build flicker-free! It looks like my code converts from OSX to WIN about 95%. There is one drag-drop feature that I animate on OSX.... the animation doesn't show up in WIN, but the "drop" part does work.

One more question. When I launch the app... my "login" window appears BEHIND any other window I have open (file explorer for example). The first few times I launched it... I thought it bombed... under I moved the explorer window and saw my screen underneath. This doesn't happen under OSX... What can I do to make sure my app at least launches on top of anything else?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm 

Quote:
When I launch the app... my "login" window appears BEHIND any other window I have open (file explorer for example). The first few times I launched it... I thought it bombed... under I moved the explorer window and saw my screen underneath. This doesn't happen under OSX... What can I do to make sure my app at least launches on top of anything else?

Now that is unusual.
It may have to do with the style of the window.
Windows will normally launch an opened app at the front without anything special required.

My own login window is a 'plain box' style and it comes to the fore.
You could try throwing a self.show in the activate event, even if that sounds superfluous.
How are you initially displaying the login window?

I use frmLaunch1.ShowModal

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 pm 

it is a Modal Dialog (2)

called via window2.showmodal

the actual flow is the Window1 is instantiated so all the controls, database connections etc happen.... then window2 is called... with the first thing it does is to hide Window1.

In Window2 the user must login (userid/password).. it they fail... the app quits.

This same window (#2) pops up if the system is inactive (no mouse/key press) for 10 min as a data security measure. This way it hides the sensitive data on window1

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 pm 

DaveS wrote:
One more question. When I launch the app... my "login" window appears BEHIND any other window I have open (file explorer for example). The first few times I launched it... I thought it bombed... under I moved the explorer window and saw my screen underneath. This doesn't happen under OSX... What can I do to make sure my app at least launches on top of anything else?

This is strange, what is the frame type of the window? I have seen some weird behaviors when using showmodal with different frame types. I normally set the window to modal dialog then just show the window.

edit: NVM I see you are using type 2. Maybe try show instead of show modal?

RealStudio: 2012r2

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:37 am 

Quote:
the actual flow is the Window1 is instantiated so all the controls, database connections etc happen.... then window2 is called... with the first thing it does is to hide Window1.

That sounds like the problem.
If window2 is modal to window1 and then you hide its parent...

.show sounds like the right solution.

or maybe have window1 moved offscreen rather than made .visible =false