Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: App starts and only shows in task bar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 am 

1. I have been getting flooded with support calls and finally have been able to repeat the problem. When my app starts on Windows, the icon shows up on the task bar but not the screen. I have no idea why. Suggestions?

2. Is there a place in the docs that tells me the default settings for a windows app? I have some old code and am not sure if it is still suppose to be in the startup method:

#if TargetWin32 then
App.MDIWindow.Title="FlashWorks"
App.MDIWindow.MinHeight=600
App.MDIWindow.Height=660
App.MDIWindow.Maximize
#Endif

3. And finally -- sorry for the three questions -- when I try to run my app from inside the IDE, I am getting a permissions error, saying the destinations directory is not writeable. It is set to build in the builds folder. Other than that, I can't tell what it means. Can someone help?

Thanks..

Bill

Post subject: Re: App starts and only shows in task bar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 am 

1) could you be more specific as to where on the screen you are expecting you icon to appear.

2) Most recommendations are to not use the old-style MDI screen. If you do however, the setting of height is superfluous as .maximize will set the size to that of the screen anyway. I don't believe there is any point to setting the title of an MDI screen.

3) are you writing any other files to the app's folder?

http://www.classonesoftware.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm 

The app is set to show an about screen. After the three seconds it (properly) goes away, and then the icon appears in the task bar. The main window never appears. I don't really care about the icon. I do care about the main window not appearing. That is more the issue. When I mouse over the icon, a little window shows, but when I click on it nothing happens.

This is my ignorance of windows, but in the app there is a setting for different interfaces. I haven't selected anything. Is that okay? This is just a regular app.

The RB file is in My Documents. Under the build settings I selected "Use Builds Folder." I am not writing any files.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 pm 

Your info is a bit sparse, but I assume the app.default screen is your splash screen. Then when that screen is dismissed, you will need to call mainScrn.show to display your main screen.

http://www.classonesoftware.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:53 am 

I am sorry. I am trying to give enough info. Maybe this will help. The app has worked for years, literally. Yes, the app calls the main window after the about screen times out. And it has always done this. And then a few months ago it stopped.

Are there instructions anywhere that talk about how a windows app should be set up by default.?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:45 am 

is the Window.MenuBarVisible = True ?

If it's false, then some UI parts can be hidden.
http://docs.realsoftware.com/index.php/ ... BarVisible

- Plugins (MBS Complete, ToringoLib, Einhugur, VanHoek + Some open source plugins)
For Dutch User Groups ask me to enter!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am 

I haven't set it, but I will try. The problem is that the main window in the RB app doesn't show. Someone wrote that they can go to the icon in the task bar, right click, set to maximize, and then it runs. But I don't do anything with minimize and maximize in the code. The window has a set size.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am 

Bill Mounce wrote:
I haven't set it, but I will try. The problem is that the main window in the RB app doesn't show. Someone wrote that they can go to the icon in the task bar, right click, set to maximize, and then it runs. But I don't do anything with minimize and maximize in the code. The window has a set size.

If you have a fixed size window, then you should not have an MDI window in the first place. The "maximize" in the task bar refers to the MDI window and probably not to your own window. The standard MDI frame expects to have child windows which are fully sizable document windows which you don't have. Try it without an MDI window first to see if it makes more sense.