Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:18 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone here do Apple Mac programs as well ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:15 pm 

Hi, I'm about to launch my new language learning software for Windows and I'm using RB 2007 r4 for that. I'm thinking of making it available for the Mac as well but have never used a Mac... I'll have to upgrade to a Pro version of RB to be able to do the Mac also, so does anyone have any thoughts, advice, info, etc ???? I plan to stay with my 2007 r4 for Windows because it has served me very well and I'm comfortable with it and use the newer version Pro software on a different pc to do the Mac compiling.....It'll have flash cards, classroom sessions and video with training sessions, along with some books and about 8 different types of audio CDs.... You can find my website here www.zuSchnell.com thank you !!!

Post subject: Re: Anyone here do Apple Mac programs as well ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm 

Well, if you've never used a Mac it will be tough to compile and sell for a Mac. While it's not a completely different UI it's different *enough* where you will want to spend some time using your app *ON* Mac OS X.

I do 90% of my development work on Mac OS X and do runtime debugging in VMWare for 4 varieties of Windows and 2 varieties of Linux (when it's a requirement). Since you can't debug a Mac from Windows this works well for me. Getting a cheap Mac Mini might be a good option but I've never tried it so YMMV.

As far a version of Real Studio to use, I'd highly recommend upgrading to a current version so you get the latest buzzers and bells. You don't have to keep upgrading but I generally tell people to use the latest for your initial release (with thorough testing of course).

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:42 pm 

Like Bob I'm going the other way, developing on Mac to deploy on Mac, Windows, and hopefully Linux.

Macs have VMWare Fusion which allows them to run Windows and Lunux pretty much flawlessly. I know that VMWare also has a "WorkStation" for Windows but getting a copy of MacOS X loaded into it might be tricky. I don't know of anyone doing it and for a very long time Apple's license did not allow the OS to run on anything but Mac HW. Now the license has been relaxed a little and running OS X in a VM is allowed but I'm not sure it goes far enough to include a VM on Windows.

A MacMini is a very good little machine. For it you'll need a keyboard, monitor and a mouse. They don't come with it. You can get them used on eBay too however like RB you'll probably want to ensure you are compatible with the latest version of OS X.

As primarily a Windows developer you might wonder why I use OS X and macs? Well after years and years of buying various Windows based PC's, laptops, etc and having them get virus infected and get into the good 'ol Windows slow down mode I decided to jump ship "back" to Mac. I used Macs years ago. Now that Macs are intel based with VMWare Fusion I have the best of both worlds. A unix based OS that can host my windows and linux OSes and since they are virtual they are just files which means before a big upgrade of something I can make a copy of my entire windows or linux computer onto a backup drive. If something goes wrong, its a copy back to restore.

M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

My brother has a real nice top of the line Mac notebook computer that his company bought for him, so I could test it and everything on his. He told that he can run Windows programs on his pc though, so I'm kind of wondering then why can't the Mac users just run my Windows software on their pc ??? sure would make my life easier :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 pm 

It has to do with how the binaries are setup. IE if you compile a program for windows you get a .EXE file. What happens when you try to run that on Windows is complex but it involves setting up a location in memory load the program then moving it if require and also loading any needed libraries (DLLs).

This process is similar on a Mac but the layout of the executable is quite different. If you try to simply run a .EXE compiled for Windows on Mac it simply will not know how to load and run.

Using RB you can write source code once, make a few tweaks for specific OSes then compile the source and output it for each. So for Windows you'll get a .EXE. For Mac you'll get a .app, etc.

But the cross platform stuff is good but not perfect. So if you code only on your windows PC and cross compile to Mac most things will work but you might need a few tweaks to make the Mac side work like you want. So in your code you'll have some custom windows sections and custom mac sections with ifdefs. Generally in my limited experience this is not major but just minor in places but it does depend upon what you are doing.

M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

beginner_kev wrote:
My brother has a real nice top of the line Mac notebook computer that his company bought for him, so I could test it and everything on his. He told that he can run Windows programs on his pc though, so I'm kind of wondering then why can't the Mac users just run my Windows software on their pc ??? sure would make my life easier :)

He can run the Windows programs by running a real copy of Windows in a virtual machine such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion. It runs Windows on top of OSX...so yes, you can run them, but you have to have purchased (or otherwise obtained) a full copy of Windows. I have no idea what percentage of Mac owners can do that, but my guess is that it's pretty small.

Bill