Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:45 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bugs with background of CheckBox, RadioButton, GroupBox and
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:50 pm 

GroupBox, CheckBox, RadioButton and Slider background displays wrong if parent has a different color than the system's FillColor or if has an image. The background of these controls should be transparent.

Report Ids:
- GroupBox: klwrntun
- CheckBox: stkytast
- RadioButton: pumezhxm
- Slider: rkrupsvu

[Win2K/XP - 2005r4]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:42 pm 

These are not bugs -- you're modifying the window in the paint event. Controls on Windows aren't transparent, and so you'll never get the behavior you're looking for since you're using the paint event. If you set the background color of the window (and select HasBackgroundColor), then you will get the correct behavior. But you won't be getting transparent controls that display the way you wish over a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:08 pm 

Aaron Ballman wrote:
These are not bugs -- you're modifying the window in the paint event. Controls on Windows aren't transparent, and so you'll never get the behavior you're looking for since you're using the paint event.

Isn't StaticText a control? It displays fine, so I presumed it had a transparent background and that all other controls should behave exactly as it.

BTW, sorry if "transparent" is not the correct "technical" word to use for this, but that was the only one I found to try to explain it.

Quote:
If you set the background color of the window (and select HasBackgroundColor), then you will get the correct behavior.

Not all! The GroupBox still displays the system's FillColor for the caption text background (at least on Win2K - didn't test it yet on XP)!

Quote:
But you won't be getting transparent controls that display the way you wish over a picture.

Again, StaticText displays fine in all situations even over images, so why not the others?

[Win2K/XP - 2005r4]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:46 pm 

StaticTexts are a special case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:14 am 

CarlosM wrote:
Aaron Ballman wrote:
These are not bugs -- you're modifying the window in the paint event. Controls on Windows aren't transparent, and so you'll never get the behavior you're looking for since you're using the paint event.

Isn't StaticText a control? It displays fine, so I presumed it had a transparent background and that all other controls should behave exactly as it.

No, it's not a real control, unfortunately (much to my eternal consternation, actually). What's worse, people have come to rely on it being transparent, so when we tried to convert it to being a real control (which has a ton of extra benefits the current control doesn't have), we had to revert it back. StaticText is nothing more than a DrawString.

Quote:
BTW, sorry if "transparent" is not the correct "technical" word to use for this, but that was the only one I found to try to explain it.

Transparent was the correct term to use.

Quote:
Not all! The GroupBox still displays the system's FillColor for the caption text background (at least on Win2K - didn't test it yet on XP)!

Then it's most likely an OS bug. I just tried it on Vista and XP and it displays with the background color of the window for me.

Quote:
Again, StaticText displays fine in all situations even over images, so why not the others?

Because it's always better to prefer the OS control to a custom one. For instance, a GroupBox will work with a screen reader while an RB StaticText won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:15 am 

Aaron Ballman wrote:
No, it's not a real control <snip> StaticText is nothing more than a DrawString.

What a surprise - we are always learning ;)

Quote:
Then it's most likely an OS bug. I just tried it on Vista and XP and it displays with the background color of the window for me.

You're right - I also tested on XP and it works fine as per the following image on left:
Anyway, it seems that the spliter on a TabPanel still has some problems on XP when comparing it on the two windows. And it's the correct behaviour the background color at right of the tabs?

A curiosity: Why doesn't the RB EditFields show on XP with just a blue border (like the editfield on right window)?

Aaron, sorry for all those reports and for wasting your time (and mine). Next time I'll ask first if it's a bug or not ;-)

[Win2K/XP - 2005r4]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:52 am 

CarlosM wrote:
Anyway, it seems that the spliter on a TabPanel still has some problems on XP when comparing it on the two windows. And it's the correct behaviour the background color at right of the tabs?

The tabs are a bug, and the slider control is technically a bug, but an OS one. You will see the same behavior in VB and C# with VS 2005, for instance. What's more strange is that I've seen this work in OS dialogs, but haven't figured out what hacks they've employed to make it function.

Quote:
A curiosity: Why doesn't the RB EditFields show on XP with just a blue border (like the editfield on right window)?

What version of RB are you using? In RB, we don't use an OS EditField, we use a RichEdit fields (also provided by the OS, but different nonetheless) which are not theme-savvy. We forced them to be theme savvy a while back by drawing the non-client area ourselves, however, we can only do so under certain circumstances. EditFields with scrollbars we can't draw as theme savvy, but without the scrollbars, we can draw it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 am 

Aaron Ballman wrote:
What version of RB are you using? In RB, we don't use an OS EditField, we use a RichEdit fields <snip>

2005r4

[Win2K/XP - 2005r4]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:49 am 

LoL, so what you're saying is: "Aaron -- read please." ;-)

According to the release notes I have handy, the change was in 2006r1. But I seem to recall doing it earlier than that. Is that a single-line, non-styled EditField?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 am 

Aaron Ballman wrote:
No, it's not a real control, unfortunately (much to my eternal consternation, actually). What's worse, people have come to rely on it being transparent, so when we tried to convert it to being a real control (which has a ton of extra benefits the current control doesn't have), we had to revert it back. StaticText is nothing more than a DrawString.

I figured you were a big factor in that temporary change of statictext behavior... I was one of those not happy with it.

Quote:
Because it's always better to prefer the OS control to a custom one. For instance, a GroupBox will work with a screen reader while an RB StaticText won't.

That seems like a rather rare need though and having them transparent is a big convenience... what other benefits would there be to an OS StaticText control?

One solution of course would be to have off two types of StaticText controls or combine them via a design time flag like for editfields being single or Multi-line ... as i understand it they really are two different controls under the hood - at least on a Mac.

- karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:03 pm 

Aaron Ballman wrote:
According to the release notes I have handy, the change was in 2006r1. But I seem to recall doing it earlier than that. Is that a single-line, non-styled EditField?

Yes, and it shows fine on a compiled app with 2006r2:

About the StaticTexts what I would like to see is the abillity to have parts of the text (some words) displayed in bold, underlined, italic and with other colors... like:
- Please click Next to continue
- URL must be in the following format: domain.com/folder/

But this is easy to do on a canvas and the solution I used was to use HTML tags on the text and when drawing it I parse the tags and apply the respective format. On my TODO for this control is to use clickable links on some parts of the text, but that's not so easy :(

[Win2K/XP - 2005r4]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 pm 

I've been annoyed at this problem with incorrect control background colors recently myself, but I have something further I'm curious about.
If it is down to Windows rendering of the controls at fault, why do the backgrounds of these controls show up properly transparent within the RB development environment itself? What method does RB itself use to pull that off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:11 pm 

To clarify my previous post (and to bump the thread), here's a screenshot:

RB is somehow able to display the transparency correctly in the development environment, though as discussed it doesn't do so in the compiled executable. That is what really makes me wonder if a workaround isn't possible.

Post subject: Re: Bugs with background of CheckBox, RadioButton, GroupBox and
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am 

hello there,

i have a similar problem with the groupboxes. they are not transparent, the background is white, and bside this the text of the groupbox is cutted down.

i read that if i check the window's Composite property this may solve the problem, but the thing is that in the windows i have a round rectangle, inside this i have a pagepanel on which i have a groupbox, which is shown correctly, and inside this groupbox there are several other groupboxes, which are not transparent, and their text is cutted.

what should i try to solve this issue?

Post subject: Re: Bugs with background of CheckBox, RadioButton, GroupBox
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:39 pm 

At the moment I use 2010R3 and do have the same effect.

Is there any solution or is there a feedbackId for fixing that bug?

Thanks,
Melli