Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:07 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm
Posts: 62
Hi guys I have a customer that wants to covertly access the webcam on his in-store laptop. I have not found anything that will do this. so three questions.

[*]Is it possible to have a RB application run with no visible window or tray icon?
[*]Is it possible to access a webcam on a specified schedule?
[*]Can I upload photos to an ftp server, and also store the photos locally?


I understand that this is a touchy subject for alot of people. Please do not attack me.

Thanks in advance.

_________________
"I am learning, until my last day."
http://facebook.com/turnerdistributed


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 2
interesting...

Going to watch this space...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
Try this plugin: http://www.sourcemac.com/?page=plugrb&npage=1
"Cam Capture"

You could make your own upload code with to a ftp and use cam capture to take the picture. Dont know about the visible window thing tho.

There is also Realcapture which is know opensource but it relies on a "hack" and doesnt work in newer rb releases.


Hope this helps.

_________________
Richard B.
Real Studio 2012> OS X


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm
Posts: 62
ok I was able to extract cam capture. I am on windows 7. I dont know if this matters but I do not know how to use this plugin, or any plugin for that matter.

_________________
"I am learning, until my last day."
http://facebook.com/turnerdistributed


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 am
Posts: 1225
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
xandout wrote:
Hi guys I have a customer that wants to covertly access the webcam on his in-store laptop. I have not found anything that will do this. so three questions.

[*]Is it possible to have a RB application run with no visible window or tray icon?
Quote:
Yes. Just set Window.Visible to false. Only Windows which are marked as visible will be shown in the Taskbar. A tray icon is something you have to explicitly create and manage in your app; if you don't make one then you don't get one, so that's easy.
Quote:
[*]Is it possible to access a webcam on a specified schedule?

I imagine yes. Take a look at the Windows Image Acquisition API (or the Monkeybread WIA Plugin for RS)
Quote:
[*]Can I upload photos to an ftp server, and also store the photos locally?
I think I have an old FTP-upload project I made. Pretty horrendous to look at but it worked. Let me know if it might be useful.

I understand that this is a touchy subject for alot of people. Please do not attack me.

Thanks in advance.

_________________
Boredom Software


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 am
Posts: 1225
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
charonn0 wrote:
xandout wrote:
Hi guys I have a customer that wants to covertly access the webcam on his in-store laptop. I have not found anything that will do this. so three questions.

[*]Is it possible to have a RB application run with no visible window or tray icon?
Quote:
Yes. Just set Window.Visible to false. Only Windows which are marked as visible will be shown in the Taskbar. A tray icon is something you have to explicitly create and manage in your app; if you don't make one then you don't get one, so that's easy.
Quote:
[*]Is it possible to access a webcam on a specified schedule?

I imagine yes. Take a look at the Windows Image Acquisition API (or the Monkeybread WIA Plugin for RS)
Quote:
[*]Can I upload photos to an ftp server, and also store the photos locally?

I think I have an old FTP-upload project I made. Pretty horrendous to look at but it worked. Let me know if it might be useful.

I understand that this is a touchy subject for alot of people. Please do not attack me.

Thanks in advance.

Still might want to check with a lawyer. It's almost never legal to spy on people.

_________________
Boredom Software


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 am
Posts: 1225
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
>.< and the quote button masqueraded as the (again!) missing Edit button...

_________________
Boredom Software


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 2985
Location: Germany
If I want to know who uses my computer, I can do that.

Good to find a theft.

My own Windows WebCam plugin is in work, but not yet finished.

Greetings
Christian

_________________
See you in Orlando, Florida for Real World 2013
More details and registration here:
http://www.realsoftware.com/community/realworld.php


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 am
Posts: 1225
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
MonkeybreadSoftware wrote:
If I want to know who uses my computer, I can do that.

Good to find a theft.


Granted. But ownership of the computer does not necessarily grant carte blanc to use it to do whatever one pleases, not at least without challenge. When a particular use is abusive of someone else's rights, it cannot be permitted.

Now, as far as I'm concerned a thief should be considered to have given the person they stole the computer from permission to monitor, record, share, etc. everything the thief does. Ethically, at least. I'm merely pointing out that there may be legal implications depending on the specific circumstances and that these implications ought to be considered.

_________________
Boredom Software


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange ? Webcam access.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 61
Location: Stockholm, Sweden.
xandout wrote:
ok I was able to extract cam capture. I am on windows 7. I dont know if this matters but I do not know how to use this plugin, or any plugin for that matter.


Put the Cam Capture plugin in the plugins folder of Real Studio.

There is a Rbp file on the site aswell, think its named: CamCapture.rbp

For example to save as jpeg instead of pict. Change to this code in the CamCapture1 class.
dim fol as FolderItem
fol=GetSaveFolderItem("????", "Image")
if fol<>nil then fol.SaveAsJPEG(CamCapture1.GetPicture(32))

_________________
Richard B.
Real Studio 2012> OS X


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group