Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Application Error
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 am 

Hi all,

I have a RB 2011r1 compiled application that regularly crashed with the following error:

Quote:
The instruction at "0x016d9bc8" referenced memory at "0x016d9bc8". The memory could not be "written".

It is a piece of code where I start a Thread and that fills a listbox. The crash seems to happen in the beginning where the thread is created.

I have really no idea how to start diagnosing these Application Errors as these crashed do not occur in the debugger. Any suggestions? The application is running on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Post subject: Re: Application Error
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:47 pm 

Try taking it out of the thread and see if the error is still happening.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:08 pm 

Is it wrong to update a listbox from within a thread? Problem is that when I use the 'listbox updating code' in the main thread, my application seems to hang after a few seconds while the listbox is being updated. That's why I used a thread in the first please .. to prevent the user interface from freezing.

Is Windows not keeping a log somewhere of what happened when the application crashed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm 

Well, you're getting a hard crash which is tough to track down. My thought was that you might get better information if you do it outside of the thread. If it doesn't happen it's something to do with the thread itself. Otherwise you'll have to add code to determine what line of code is causing the issue.

Updating the UI from a thread is kind of dangerous depending upon how you do the thread. If you dragged a thread onto the window and did it from within that thread it's usually pretty safe.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm 

I have something similar in a current project; I'm loading a listbox that takes a while as it processes image files dropped on the window, so I moved the list-code to a separate thread. I occasionaly get a crash if I touch the window while it is loading (I'm the only one using the app for now, so for now I just keep my hands off until it is finished). I know that changing the interface from a thread can cause problems, so I assumed this was causing the crash.

To hopefully solve this, I am planning to try loading the data into an array property of the window within the thread, and using a timer to check the array for new items, then load them into the listbox when the array increases. Haven't had a chance to implement this just yet, so I don't know if it will solve the issue or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm 

markwalsh wrote:
I have something similar in a current project; I'm loading a listbox that takes a while as it processes image files dropped on the window, so I moved the list-loading code to a separate thread. I occasionaly get a crash if I touch the window while it is loading (I'm the only one using the app for now, so for now I just keep my hands off until it is finished). I know that changing the interface from a thread can cause problems, so I assumed this was causing the crash.

To hopefully solve this, I am planning to try loading the data into an array property of the window within the thread, and using a timer to check the array for new items, then load them into the listbox when the array increases. Haven't had a chance to implement this just yet, so I don't know if it will solve the issue or not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:30 pm 

I keep forgetting the 'Edit' button doesn't work in all forums, and I forget to check that I'm hitting the 'Reply' button instead.

I wish they would fix that. :oops: :evil: