Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:49 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unable to create temporary file error code: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm 

I copied a program file from Mac to Windows and am trying to build it, and I get the error message:

Unable to create temporary file error code: 5

The project is in a directory in the Application directory. The file can compile and run, but it wouldn't build.

Any ideas? Thanks. Bill

Post subject: Re: Unable to create temporary file error code: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm 
Real Software Engineer

That's a bad place to put a project file as writing to it requires authentication in Vista & up (as far as I recall)
Put the project file in your own home directory and you should be fine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 pm 

Thanks. This fixed the problem. But as I am doing my testing, are there any Windows problems connected to running an app in the Documents folder?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:35 am 

Bill Mounce wrote:
Thanks. This fixed the problem. But as I am doing my testing, are there any Windows problems connected to running an app in the Documents folder?

It's not normally done but i think i've seen a game or two do it. I think the reason why its not done much is because Program Files is designed for the program files (static files that don't change until perhaps updating the software with a installer that prompts the user for admin privs). I believe it is ideal to have your app executing from program files because of its more restricting permissions will help keep your software from being effected by other malfunctioning or malicious software, there may be other reasons I haven't imagined as well. But as a windows user i generally expect "program files" to contain all the programs i install, though sometimes it is not the case. like Chrome for example likes to burry itself deep within the users hidden AppData folder, lol, though perhaps that was necessary for chromes automatic and in the background updating to function properly.

SpecialFolder.Preferences
This location is commonly used for storing preference files for programs on windows, it is a link to the users hidden appdata folder, usually a path like this C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming though on Windows XP and older the path is slightly different but used in the same way.

But the users documents folder is clearly a more accessible folder for the users of your software, so it really comes down to what you think is the best storage place for your apps stuff. But i still think Program Files is the best place for the executable and dll's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:05 pm 

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.