Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Window not responding
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 am 

I am running an RB program that does a lot of ftp, emailing, postgres communication and html reading. It has to do that 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Problem is that it hangs each 36 hours or so. Hanging means that 1) It does not allow to open any menu anymore 2) It does not seem to respond to an internal trigger 3) Sometimes shows the 'Window not responding' message. Sometimes the involved windows start flashing, sometimes the complete screen (but this is by Remote Desktop as it runs on a server) flickers, including non-involved windows.

Is there an other way to find out were the program is hanging, other than add a lot of logging statements within the program ?

I already did a considerable amount of logging, threaded individual processes, suppressed paint events etc, but I did not manage to focus the hanging on a specific routine or object or event. The problem never occured on Mac, only on windows, and it is already persisting through various RB releases ...

Post subject: Re: Window not responding
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm 

which versions used exactly? There have been memory leaking issues in some versions of RB.

Once the app hangs, what does the cpu usage shows? What does the memory usage shows?

Stefan

Mac OSX Mountain Lion (latest Release) on a MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7/ RB Professional 2011 Release 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 am 

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your quick reply ! Currently I am running RB 2010 version 4, I did not keep a record of which previous versions gave the problems but it was RB 2009 and 2010. I always compiled the windows versions on a Mac not on a windows version of RB; can that make a difference ?

I'll check CPU and memory again but the last time the program hang I did not notice high values for the application ...

Thanks, Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 am 

Hi Stephen,

At closer look windows indeed uses all its cpu time when my application is hanging:
- my application 35 %
- explorer.exe 30 %
- task manager (just opened) 20 %
and the last 15 % by a watchdog that warns me when all is hanging. As soon as I kill my application it turns into 95 % idle time ! So explorer takes part in the problem ...

Any idea ?

Thanks.