Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:35 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SuperSpriteSurface: Whar do you know about it?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm 

I am using the Professional Edition of RB for Windows , I am interested in porting over my "Coney Games" to REALbasic, and I am looking for advice on the best way to started toward achieving that goal.

REAL Software currently says this on their Web site:

Quote:
To remain modern and dependable, we must update our underlying technology from time to time. Rarely, this means removing functionality. However, we won't remove something until we have provided an alternative solution for those that still need the functionality."

REAL Software also says this:

De-emphasize" means that we have no plans to add new functionality to this feature and it will be deprecated in a future release, once a suitable replacement has been found.

REA: Software indicates that SpriteSurface is "de-emphasized." Where is the "alternative solution" or "suitable replacement" for SpriteSurface? I have not yet myself seen concrete evidence that such yet exists, BUT I may be wrong on that -- keep reading!

What about SuperSpriteSurface, referred to by REAL Software as a replacement for SpriteSurface? Tinrocket, the source of SuperSpriteSurface, says this:

Quote:
SuperSpriteSurface works with REALbasic 5.x and higher.... Windows and Linux are not yet supported....

But here's the good news: A Windows version was [at least supposed to be] released five years ago, according to Tinsoftware:

Quote:
News
SuperSpriteSurface Supports Windows
March 2, 2005

Two bits of news:
First, the next update of SuperSpriteSurface will be released soon. A few new features have been added, based on user feedback; there is also a bug fix related to hierarchical usage of SuperSpriteTile objects.
Second, the big change is support for Windows builds! This is of course, in addition to the currently supported OS X and Classic build functionality....

REAL Software links to the Tinrocket site (see [url]http://realsoftware.com/realstudio/deprecations.php
[/url] in direct connection with REALbasic's SpriteSurface, so REAL Software seems to regard SuperSpriteSurface as the "alternative solution" or "suitable replacement" for SpriteSurface.

As I said, I am looking for advice on the best way to started toward porting over my "Coney Games" to REALbasic.

Has anyone here used SuperSpriteSurface, which is apparently recommended by REAL Software? If so, would you personally recommend SuperSpriteSurface to others? Or do you have other recommendations for those who are comparative novices, tyros, newbies, beginners, ... when it comes to writing games in REALbasic?

Thanks in advance for your helpfulness.

Barry Traver

Post subject: Re: SuperSpriteSurface: Whar do you know about it?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:17 pm 

For some reason, I am told, "You cannot edit your posts in this forum." (Why not?) For that reason, I was unable to correct the URL in the previous post to make it clickable.

Let's try that again:

http://realsoftware.com/realstudio/deprecations.php

Then click on "what's this?" after SpriteSurface.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 pm 

My recommendation, even to newbies, is to learn the basics of canvas graphics. It's really not that difficult. I have done quite a bit of animation in RB, including highlighting, dragging objects, crosshairs, etc., with a canvas and simple buffering techniques. I recently wrote a passible knock-off of Guitar Hero (keyboard driven, of course, no fancy controllers) in pure RB with just a canvas and a picture object. It passed muster with my 19-year-old son and his buddies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:22 am 

On the REAL Software Web site, next to the mention of "SpriteSurface REAL Software currently links to the Tinrocket Web site (see http://realsoftware.com/realstudio/deprecations.php), so REAL Software seems to regard SuperSpriteSurface as the official replacement for SpriteSurface.

At this point, however, I have been unable to find any additional information about Tinrocket's SuperSpriteSurface (especially the Windows version announced almost six years ago). (The Tinrocket Web site says this: "SuperSpriteSurface Supports Windows. March 2, 2005.... [t]he big change is support for Windows builds!") I may be missing something, but the Tinrocket site does not appear to have been updated since 2007.

If no one else here can answer the question, can a REAL Software representative clarify what appears to be an official endorsement by REAL Software of Tinrocket's SuperSpriteSurface?

Again, see the link after "SpriteSurface" on the following page on the current REAL Software Web site:

http://realsoftware.com/realstudio/deprecations.php

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 pm 

While I agree that you should learn basic pixel-based and vector-based drawing techniques, I've also used SuperSpriteSurface for a long time in some of my educational apps. I've used a sprite surface and a sprite to move or change the contrast of sinewave gratings over time. It's pretty easy to use. I highly recommend SuperSpriteSurface (my software is even displayed on TinRocket's web site).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 am 

Great to hear that SuperSpriteSurface DOES exist and IS available. (Do you know whether that goes for the Windows version as well?)

Thanks for the post.

Barry Traver