Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:53 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aaron Ballman: Sample Windows API code?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 pm 

PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE WINDOWS FORUM. THANK YOU.

I seem to remember that a few years ago I ran a program (or programs?) by Aaron Ballman that demonstrated how to use various Windows API calls in an RB program.

Am I correct on that, and -- if so -- where can I find the program(s)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry Traver

P.S. I did find and download his Windows Functionality Suite, but when I loaded it in and tried to run it, I got half a dozen or more syntax errors, type mismatches, etc. Advice on that would also be appreciated.

Last edited by barrytraver on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Aaron Ballman: Sample Windows API code?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:51 pm 

Oops! I posted this in the wrong forum. Can anyone move it to the Windows forum for me? Thanks.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 pm 

barrytraver wrote:
PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE WINDOWS FORUM. THANK YOU.

I seem to remember that a few years ago I ran a program (or programs?) by Aaron Ballman that demonstrated how to use various Windows API calls in an RB program.

Am I correct on that, and -- if so -- where can I find the program(s)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry Traver

P.S. I did find and download his Windows Functionality Suite, but when I loaded it in and tried to run it, I got half a dozen or more syntax errors, type mismatches, etc. Advice on that would also be appreciated.

I believe there are a few things that have changed since the suite was published, I have been looking into a few classes in that (i.e. ToolTip) and that has to be renamed since there already is an RB class with that name. Anything that references that class will also have to change (i.e. in the ToolTip class, there are a few properties to store a reference to the ToolTip, so they have to be changed to match the new name of the class). Depending on what parts of the suite you want to use, you will need to make the appropriate changes.

The other ones I see are renaming 'TemporaryFolder.Child' 'specialfolder.Temporary.Child'

The last one is to change the name of 'Attributes' in 3 places in the FindFile class

Making those 3 sets of changes should get it working for you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 pm 

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.aaronballman.com/programming ... ySuite.php

Lennox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:17 am 

Note well: "We are looking for a few individuals to help spearhead the effort to update it for use with modern versions of REAL Studio."

Quote:
Quick note. ARBP is now hosting the Windows Functionality Suite. Official announcement at http://arbpmembers.org/arbp-blogs-and-opinions/article/3-ARBP%20Blogs/229-windows-functionality-suite-blog

More info on Windows Functionality Suite at http://arbpmembers.org/windows-functionality-suite. We at BKeeney Software have found the Windows Functionality Suite to be very valuable in creating excellent Windows applications. It has many functions that add the finishing touch to a Windows app that many users expect.

It was originally written by Aaron Ballman, a former engineer at REAL Software. Since he no longer works for the company it has languished from lack of attention and in recent releases of REAL Studio it no longer works out of the box. We are looking for a few individuals to help spearhead the effort to update it for use with modern versions of REAL Studio. I don’t think it will take much work, just someone to be in charge of tracking and merging changes and maybe creating some new documentation and example projects.

Any hope anyone here might help out?

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 am 

I actually have a new build that works with Studio 2010 R5. I'll see if I can't get it posted in the next day or so.

The big thing is that the documentation hasn't been updated yet.

A blog about being a Real Studio/Xojo developer at http://www.bkeeneybriefs.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 pm 

Bob K and others.,

Aaron Ballman's Windows Functionarlity Suite is a great resource. My own technical expertise is not sufficient for me to volunteer with the updating, but it's enough for me to benefit from Aaron's work and to create RB Projects based on it (I wrote a simple "card trick" program based on his comments on Cards.DLL in Windows, and -- on the basis of his Windows Functionality Suite -- was able to get Windows API calls working in RB to show and hide desktop icons, start button, task bar, system tray, and clock).

Now that an updated version of the WFS is being made available, I'm looking forward to playing around in RB with other Windows API calls. They're not very useful if you're running a Mac or Linux, but if you're running a Windows computer, they are a tremendous resource (as is his Rambliongs book)!

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:44 pm 

The new build is up on the ARBP site. I've not done anything other than repackage it and put it on the website so if you have some time, download it, work with it, update documentation, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm 

I went to edit my post to correct a misspelling ("Rambliongs" to "Ramblings," but I found I wasn't able to do that. I'm told, "You cannot edit your posts in this forum." Why not?

So, everyone here, beware: apparently, if you post anything on these forums, you'd better get it right the first time, because there seems to be no opportunity for you to fix any mistakes. (Since I'm almost "three score and ten," I personally do not always get it right the first time, so not being able to make a correction is a real handicap for me and of no benefit to the reader.)

The policy also seems to mean that if someone posts an angry, offensive note and then has second thoughts about it, his or her improper note is "cast in stone" for the rest of us to have to read until a moderator gets around to discovering it and removing it. If there is anyone here who abuses the privilege of posting, why not take that privilege away from him or her rather than punishing the rest of us?

Question for a moderator: why the change in policy?

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 pm 

P.S. Here's where you can download the CardTrick.zip and the hideshow.zip that I mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://www.traver.org/traverrbw/

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:19 pm 

I just noticed: in an earlier post, I included a lengthy quote from Bob Keeney but neglected to indicate the source of the quote (although the quote did include some clickable links that make that clear).

Sorry, Bob. And thanks for your work in making an updated version of the Windows Functionality Suite available to us.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm 

I've done some work with the WFS over the last year or so. Lemme see if there's anything worth contributing...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm 

Bob K.,

You said this:

Quote:
The new build is up on the ARBP site. I've not done anything other than repackage it and put it on the website so if you have some time, download it, work with it, update documentation, etc.

Great news! Can you give us the URL? (For some reason I couldn't seem to find the new build on the ARBP site at http://arbpmembers.org/.) Thanks.

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:32 pm 

barrytraver wrote:
Bob K.,

You said this:

Quote:

Great news! Can you give us the URL? (For some reason I couldn't seem to find the new build on the ARBP site at http://arbpmembers.org/.) Thanks.

Barry Traver

http://www.arbpmembers.org/windows-functionality-suite Look for 'download' towards the bottom of the page.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

Bob K.,

Thanks! I downloaded it, loaded it in, and tried do run it. I must be doing something wrong, however, because all I got was an untitled window with nothing on the menus except Exit.

I tried it with RB2010r1 and RB2010r3. Does it not work with those versions? Or do I need to do something special to get it to work?

Barry Traver