Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:38 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Building Plugins Compatible with Cocoa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:22 pm 

I have built a plugin and can use it to generate Carbon applications. I use the plugin creater GUI to create the plugin and place the dylib file in both the Carbon and Cocoa folders. The problem I have is that Realstudio gives the error "Compilation of APM_Float.rbp failed. Plugin "apm.rbx:0 is not supported for Mac Cocoa." when I try to build a Cocoa application with it. I am using a Mac running Lion OS, RS2011 r4 and Xcode 4. The plugin is only wrapping math type functions (i.e. not making controls and such). See code excerpt below:

#include "rb_plugin.h"

//
// declarations and functions here
//

REALmethodDefinition apm_to_formatted_string_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_to_formatted_string_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_to_formatted_string_c(line_termination as int8, line_length as integer, byref string_length as int64, sign as integer, exponent as int64, digit_count as int64, input as ptr, output as ptr)"};

REALmethodDefinition apm_digits_to_string_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_digits_to_string_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_digits_to_string_c(digit_count as int64, out_position as int64, input as ptr, output as ptr)"};

REALmethodDefinition apm_normalize_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_normalize_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_normalize_c(byref digits as int64, byref exponent as int64, r as ptr)"};

REALmethodDefinition apm_fft_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_fft_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_fft_c(power_of_two as int64, adigits as int64, a as ptr, ain as ptr, bdigits as int64, b as ptr, bin as ptr, r as ptr)"};

REALmethodDefinition apm_subtract_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_subtract_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_subtract_c(last_digit as int64, x as ptr, y as ptr, r as ptr)"};

REALmethodDefinition apm_add_c_def={ (REALproc) apm_add_c, REALnoImplementation, "apm_add_c(byref last_digit as int64, x as ptr, y as ptr, r as ptr) as integer"};

void PluginEntry() {

REALRegisterMethod(&apm_to_formatted_string_c_def);
REALRegisterMethod(&apm_digits_to_string_c_def);
REALRegisterMethod(&apm_normalize_c_def);
REALRegisterMethod(&apm_fft_c_def);
REALRegisterMethod(&apm_subtract_c_def);
REALRegisterMethod(&apm_add_c_def);
}

I experimented to see if I could use the plugin as is with declares and build a Cocoa app. I can after preceding functions with " extern "C" ". But I have had no luck using the plugin as a plugin with Cocoa. I did notice that using declares appeared to be much slower than accessing the functions using the plugin. Any suggestions on how I can modify the plugin or development environment to work for cocoa would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Building Plugins Compatible with Cocoa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:22 pm 
Real Software Engineer

do you have a cocoa section that gets added ?
while the code may be identical for carbon & cocoa when you build the plugin it needs to have both sections

from the "Cocoa Plugins.txt" inside the Extras > Plugins SDK > Documentation

To include your plugin in an RBX, add a "Mac Cocoa" folder to your RBX file inside of the "Build Resources" folder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 pm 

I have the plugin in the Cocoa and Carbon folders under resources. I added a "Mac Cocoa" folder as recommended and put the plugin there as well. Still gives the same error when building a cocoa application. I am convinced Real Studio sees the plugin in the right place, just refuses to use it. The reason I say this is if I don't put the plugin in the cocoa folder it states that it can't find the classes (functions).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 pm 

OK, I now have it working. I had to resort to the command line version of plugin creater. The GUI version must have some bugs to work out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm 
Real Software Engineer

AH
Actually it does
I just checked in a fix the other day that should take care of this bug