Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:54 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: writing midi files
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:10 am 

Hi, I'm have MBS Audio and will have MBS Quicktime (shortly)

The quicktime is a really great plugin and I'll be using all over my app (which is a music program)

Has anybody had any success writing midi?

My delimma is this. I have a progression player. It plays chord progressions to a click and the musician can record themselves playing with this. For the player, I would record this as an audio file (once I figure out how to do this).
The midi notes (chords, bass and drums) would be sent out thru noteplayer (at this time).

My goal is to create a midi file out of the player and an mp3 out of the musician and then use 2 instances of quicktime players to play those back at the same time (showing the musician how he/she sounds while playing over the music).
So, for timing sack (ticks and timers aren't accurate enough) I would like the software to generate a midi file for the player to play over and this would be great!

I've read all over the posts, searching diligently - people have been asking this question and nobody's really answered it (how to create a midi file)

Is it in the "too hard" basket?
I'm doing this in windows realbasic (If I can get it to work on W7 - it should be able to work on the MAC)
Regards,
Sean

Post subject: Re: writing midi files
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:58 pm 

Quote:
My goal is to create a midi file out of the player and an mp3 out of the musician and then use 2 instances of quicktime players to play those back at the same time (showing the musician how he/she sounds while playing over the music).

IMHO - this would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get these 2 files to stay in sync.

http://www.classonesoftware.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:07 pm 

Your saying that I had a command

qtimeplayer1.play
qtimeplayer2.play

they would not be in synch?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 pm 

Correct. There is actually more variance in the playback of any media file than the listener is aware of. That is why MIDI has a sync track. IIRC, that track is used to keep 2 or more playback elements in sync. Without such an ongoing syncing mechanism, even slight variations in your playback will sound quite awful.
In your example, even the fact that you can't call ".play" on both files at the exact same moment will start them off with slight variations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:32 pm 

well - that's terrible news!

What about the ability to merge the 2 audio tracks?
is there any functions to do this?
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:34 pm 

Don't forget that a MIDI file is not sound data. It is simply a set of instructions to an instrument, hardware or software, capable of understanding the MIDI messages to create a sound per the specifications sent. Before you can talk about merging data, you must be sure you have 2 sets of data in the same format. Whether that's QT or some other.
Some searching would be in order to find tools with which to make that merger happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 pm 

True. QTime plays both of these as movie files. Maybe a plugin to convert the midi to audio data...
I'm not sure how to get around this problem.

It's a real shame (or maybe there's a way) there's no way to record the sound card's midi as a wave while it's playing - now that would be something! Does anybody know something about this?

Cheers,
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm 

Some sound cards can record direct the sounds which are played. It doesnt matter if MIDI is played or something else. But the users sound card must support this feature.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:46 pm 

That's something to consider! I'll look into what the percentage rate is - and if they're becoming more popular!

I thought about this - what if, instead of midi, I use samples? Then, I use a recording quicktime process to capture both the guitar playing into the computer soundcard, the samples being played and this becomes 1 track which can be played back (and using the speedrate, checked for accuracy, clean technique and timing scrutiny)

Is this possible?

Then this approach could also be used for the musician playing over a playback mp3!

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am 

Aha - check my post....

I found a way to import both an audio AND a midi file into a quicktime movie!
Brilliant!
Sean