Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quote for programming RB Plugin to control OpenOffice?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:39 am 

Writing a (Linux) Program to Control OpenOffice.org (OOo), Part 1 and 2
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8550
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8608

I wonder how much money it would cost to write a REALBasic plugin which would allow controlling of OOo, according to the example provided by Linuxjournal for C++?

To some degree controlling of OOo is possible on Windows, through OLE. Unfortunately this is Windows only.

I am shure that such a plugin, available crossplattform (like OpenOffice.org 3.x and REALBasic) would find a good market. It would greatly enhance the possibilities of REALBasic.

Is there any C++ and Plugin Guru out there who is ready to give me a quote or at least an estimate? How much would this cost? Is it feasable at all? (I'm not shure about UNO implementation on OS/X - OpenOffice itself runs smoothly)

Post subject: Re: Quote for programming RB Plugin to control OpenOffice?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:17 pm 

Looks like a lot of work. Maybe we can discuss that by email.

Greetings
Christian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 am 

MonkeybreadSoftware wrote:
Looks like a lot of work. Maybe we can discuss that by email.

(Ja gerne! Melde mich nach dem Wochenende - jetzt hat erst mal meine Tochter Recht auf den Papa :wink: )

I guess what would be needed for RB is something like what exists for Java:

With the lightweight UNO wrapper and high level Java API NOA
you quickly can develop OpenOffice.org based applications:
http://ubion.ion.ag/loesungen/004niceofficeaccess

** p.s.: I am amazed that at Realsoftware seemingly it never has been considered as crucial to provide a solid cross-platform link to Office-Software. The office world as a software market is far bigger than the graphics and designer oriented world focusing on Macs nowadays...
Good connection to a solid database is one thing (easy in RB) - but then being able to pass data to the user in a way where he can transform data into information in whatever way he likes to present it, this is the key.
The user wants to use an easy to learn tool which he works with on an everyday basis (i.e Office wordprocessing and calculation) where he can do with data whatever his creativity lets him do.
OpenOffice is powerful, programmable, crossplattform and free. It is highly accepted by the large user base which is familiar with MS Office 2003 and who generaly hates MS Office 2007 where nothing looks familiar anymore.
Microsoft was very successful in the early 90ies with providing technologies to link SQL Server, MS Office, VB and Visual C/C++ - and still is.

==
I would be ready to invest some personal money into the development of such a REALBasic wrapper for UNO, like the Java API NOA - but when Christian estimates it as 'a lot of work' - I guess I will have to search for some more people and/or companies who might be willing to join in and help to finance such a development.

It is really necessary to bridge the existing gap to programmable Office software. It is not just about printing - it would open up the whole world of Office automation. Business.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:43 am 

oleman108 wrote:
OpenOffice is powerful, programmable, crossplattform and free. It is highly accepted by the large user base which is familiar with MS Office 2003 and who generaly hates MS Office 2007 where nothing looks familiar anymore.

[...]

It is really necessary to bridge the existing gap to programmable Office software. It is not just about printing - it would open up the whole world of Office automation. Business.

Probably slightly offtopic here:
I agree that bridging the gap to Office software might enable a significant amount of business oportunities. I just don't see how Open Office as an automation target would fit into that if you were targeting corporate environments. In these environments, MS still has a dominant position and alternatives are often not even considered. In small companies the argument is like "everybody uses MS Office, so we're also going to use it in order to have less problems exchanging documents" and in large companies sometimes using open source applications is simply not allowed by policy. Therefore, a working MS Office automation plugin might generate more opportunities.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 am 

Quote:
Probably slightly offtopic here: ... In small companies the argument is like "everybody uses MS Office, so we're also going to use it in order to have less problems exchanging documents" and in large companies sometimes using open source applications is simply not allowed by policy. Therefore, a working MS Office automation plugin might generate more opportunities.

Yes to offtopic -

Now more than ever SMBs have to save money. One has just to show them OpenOffice. -

Large companies are not really the big market for RB Developers (imho).
    SMBs however are a huge and still (by Microsoft) neglected market and with
    Realbasic and OpenOffice one can target the needs of individuals and
    small and medium businesses: Fast and costefficient development,
    availability on Windows - Mac - Linux. Simple installation. -

We already have OLE support and other support for MS Office.
    Works on windows only, but this would then anyway be the targeted market
    if one is bound to MS Office. No real need for a Windows plugin there. -

I know plenty of developers and customers who are sick and tired of the MS pricing and their constantly changing, proliferate, overburdend and nearly unmanageable 'technologies'. Let alone their intransparent, cabalistic licensing policies... They have become fat and overloaded and obviously forgot one important principle: KISS! - like: Keep it Simple and Slim...

SMBs need clarity, simplicity, cost-efficency, speed and flexibility.
REALBasic, REALServer in connection with OpenOffice would be a good strategy to answer such need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:22 pm 

I'd be very interested in a way to control OpenOffice from RB as it would open up some significant opportunities for our projects.

I would definitely buy such a plug-in if/when it was available, but I would also consider contributing towards the project if that would help get it off the ground.

I took a look at this issue some years ago and it looks like a fairly complex project, so it would require someone with significant programming capabilities and a fairly significant time commitment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:41 pm 

I support this one !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:23 pm 

I definitely agree that this is needed and would add a lot of value to the REALbasic product.

REALbasic 2011 Release 2
MBS-RB-Plugins 11 available

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:46 pm 

Perhaps RS is leaving this up to Third-Party-Developers.

Personally, I think they have enough on their plate as it is.