Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GL-0.42 Realstudio Personal 2011r4.3
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:34 pm 

I tried Jeff Quan's GL-0.42 on Win 7 64bit Home. The demo apps in the package compiled OK, however failed to start with a standard Win error dialog saying that the application had stopped working. Anyone else tried this?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: GL-0.42 Realstudio Personal 2011r4.3
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:49 am 

matty47 wrote:
I tried Jeff Quan's GL-0.42 on Win 7 64bit Home. The demo apps in the package compiled OK, however failed to start with a standard Win error dialog saying that the application had stopped working. Anyone else tried this?
Thanks

Try finding out with breakpoints where the application stops.

You want a bunch of new classes and web styles? realstudiodevspot.com (search there for Web Styles Plugin)
Folderitem is too hard? File Bin Class
I hate cows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 pm 

The classes I wrote rely on certain .DLLs to be available for it to work properly -- it doesn't rely solely on the built-in OpenGL calls.
These are
opengl32.dll
glu32.dll
GLExtW.dll (this one should have been included in the download)
I would hazard a guess that something there (or not there) might be causing the crash. But this is only a guess and the breakpoint hunt that's been suggested would be the best route (try starting by stepping through glSpace.Open -- the init code could be crashing you early). Do let me know if you find anything: I'm only running tests in a Windows (XP at that) emulator; I don't have a newer OS to test against.

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com
http://www.jcquan.com/JQportfolio
My RBGL replacement classes: http://www.jcquan.com/REALbasic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 pm 

I am pretty sure it's not the DLLs, since v0.35 works fine for me (on a PC using Windows 7 Home Premium) - while 0.41 and 0.42 crashes. For me it crashes somewhere on the line:
// Init glManagerSurface
glManager.Init(me)
in glSpace.Open()

I'll try to look into it a bit more, and see what I can find.

Edit:
glManager.GetOpenGLversion( byref major, byref minor ) sets major to 4, and minor to 2. This causes a crash in glManager.GetExtensionsList - setting glManager.GetOpenGLversion major to 2 prevents the crash. What this might do to the rest of the code, I have no idea - but at least you can get it to run now :)

Oh - just tried this 'solution' with 0.42 (I hacked it up with 0.41), and there it doesn't seem to work for me...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 pm 

Hmm. Have you put a breakpoint within glManager.Init? Or does it stop immediately upon calling glManager.Init(me)?

Hacking 0.41 into 0.42 isn't advised mostly because I can't guarantee that things haven't been changed radically. I haven't touched glManager between those two versions, but glSpace has changed. Off-hand I don't recall anything that would have affected the Init call, unfortunately.

I haven't tried testing against OpenGL's 4.2 specs however (which is what you're seeing in the GetOpenGLversion call), so there could be something on the bleeding edge that is tripping it up. There are lots of deprecated commands in the latest spec, and I haven't heard about any hardware vendor immediately eschewing older specs, but it's possible.

It's a big set of code and easy for me to break something with a line change, so any more info you can tell me on- or off-list will help!

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 am 

jquan wrote:
Hmm. Have you put a breakpoint within glManager.Init? Or does it stop immediately upon calling glManager.Init(me)?

It does not stop immediately, but somewhere within glManager.Init

jquan wrote:
It's a big set of code and easy for me to break something with a line change, so any more info you can tell me on- or off-list will help!

I don't have time to delve into the code right now, but I will do it later this week and contact you with the information I find.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 pm 

Sorry for the late answer, but for me it crashes on line 30 in glManager.GetExtensionsList()
glGetIntegerv(GL_NUM_EXTENSIONS, numExtensions)
This computer is a netbook with a Radeon HD 6290 graphics card. Lowering the result of GetOpenGLversion() makes the application pass the crash, and displays a torus (and I can enable wireframe display, or add the debug cube) but loading a model stops the OpenGLSurface from refreshing and usually crashes the application.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm 

It's possible that either the OS or GPU hasn't fully implemented OpenGL 3.1 specs, but it seems unlikely as from searching your card specs online it can handle OpenGL 4.x. The code I have for finding extensions is what's listed on the OpenGL organization's page for handling extensions, so I'm not sure what's not working for you.

This could mean that I might need to adjust that function to check for OpenGL 3.1 and above instead just 3.0 before it uses the line that you've put below. I'm assuming you changed a line within glManager.GetExtensionsList to
// OpenGL 2.x and below
if major < 2 then

So what I might do is change that line to
if major < 3 and minor < 1 then

to make sure I capture OpenGL's official intent: the extensions function was deprecated in 3.0 and tagged for full removal in 3.1 and up.

Do let me know what values you used for GetOpenGLversion that gets it to work for you so I can better code defensively against the differing OpenGL iterations. Thanks for your help!

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 pm 

I'm running OpenGL version 4.2 and it still crashes on windows even if I change the if statement to "major < 5"

I think something else is causing the problem on windows, but I'm not sure what.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm 

You mention "Lowering the result of GetOpenGLversion()," so specifically what did you change there to get it to pass?

I still need to look into why you cannot load a model, but I'm wondering if it has to do with OpenGL 4.x -- GPU vendors are free to completely remove items that have been marked as fully obsolete by the OpenGL folks, making it harder for me to keep up with all the changes, but I don't know how likely it is that obsolete items have been removed. Taking out too many of them will break programs not conforming to 4.x specs.

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 am 

jquan wrote:
You mention "Lowering the result of GetOpenGLversion()," so specifically what did you change there to get it to pass?

I still need to look into why you cannot load a model, but I'm wondering if it has to do with OpenGL 4.x -- GPU vendors are free to completely remove items that have been marked as fully obsolete by the OpenGL folks, making it harder for me to keep up with all the changes, but I don't know how likely it is that obsolete items have been removed. Taking out too many of them will break programs not conforming to 4.x specs.

I added the line "major = 2" to GetOpenGLversion(), to make it pass.

Changing glManager.RenderType to kRenderVertexArrays makes me able to load (and render) the model "spaceship.obj" - although the 3DMF models in TestModels.zip fails one way or another (the first one loaded looks weird, like it only loads every third triangle or something, and if another one is loaded the application crashes).

I am not sure if this is important or not, but calling the method HasGLvertex_buffer_object() crashes the application.