Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:03 pm
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Young Programmer Wants to Write Games
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 pm 

I'm tutoring an 8th-grader in REALbasic. He's written some interesting programs with it, including a Latin dictionary program, a program to calculate different mathematical functions, and one for teachers to use to figure out grades.

Now he wants to write (not unexpected for a person of his age) GAMES, NOT logical board-game games (which I have had some experience in writing), BUT animated arcade games (in 3D, if possible).

REALbasic is great for many things, but writing such games does not seem the strongest point for RB at the present time. I want to keep him working with REALbasic, but I have been wondering whether -- after his having somewhat of a foundation in REALbasic -- I also ought to encourage him to experiment with something specifically oriented toward games, NOT as a replacement for, but as a supplement to, RB.

I understand that BlitzBasic and Darkbasic are two options to consider as programming languages that are game-friendly (even if they may not be useful for much else). Is anyone familiar with either of these? Is one closer to RB than the other?

Games seem to be NOT for beginners and NOT for kids in RB (unless people can point me to RB game resources that are suitable for young people who are not experienced, professional programmers).

Any advice?

Barry Traver

Post subject: Re: Young Programmer Wants to Write Games
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:25 pm 

You might also want to look at GameMaker. It's not a programming language per se, but it is simple to use and beginner friendly. The main issue with games isn't programming, it's graphics. It's very easy to get bogged down in creating graphics for a game, especially for arcade type ones.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:07 am 

IMO You'd be better off looking at a different language/environment for game development.

Personally, I use BlitzMax for creating 2D games, it's not as powerful as programming in C, and the default IDE leaves a lot to be desired, but thelanguage itself is very intuitive and the results can be quite stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 am 

Tim,

My earlier post to you has disappeared, so I'll try again....

Excellent point! For that reason, your suggestion may be better in this situation than the two I mentioned that had been given to me. Game Maker is "not a programming language, per se," and thus is no competition to REALbasic (and I do want this young man to continue working with REALbasic). Also, Game Maker's Web site says this: "Game Maker comes preloaded with a collection of freeware images and sounds to get you started," and the hardest part of making a contemporary-style game is creating the graphics and the sounds.

I note that the same person who wrote a book on Game Maker, Jerry Lee Ford, Jr., wrote a good book on REAL Basic: Beginning REALbasic (Apress, 2006). I especially appreciated his sample code in the latter book, such as the RB program accompanying chapter 9, "Processing Text Files," and his comments in that chapter on "Working with Styled Text."

Barry Traver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm 

I'd argue that one CAN make games in RB, but as soon as one mentions "3D," there's a whole host of issues other than creating the art, which has already been mentioned is difficult if one is trying to do everything themselves.

For example, I've been looking at the OpenGL shading language, and while it can be used in RB, it's like learning a whole new language. However, it's the offloading of graphics to the GPU that has me looking into it at all. I will admit that it's not quite as simple as if RB had all of this built in.

Anyway, my two cents.

Jeff Quan
jeff@jcquan.com
http://www.jcquan.com/JQportfolio
My RBGL replacement classes: http://www.jcquan.com/REALbasic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 pm 

Hi, im in class 7, and I would take superspritesurface from tinrocket.com for 2D or learning OpenGL for 3D. Easy way to learn opengl is :arrow: http://videotutorialsrock.com/. This is in c++ but the methods, events... are the same in real studio/RB.

Thank you for reading
NaNdummy

And: which RB version are you using?

You want a bunch of new classes and web styles? realstudiodevspot.com (search there for Web Styles Plugin)
Folderitem is too hard? File Bin Class
I hate cows.