Real Software Forums

The forum for Real Studio and other Real Software products.
[ REAL Software Website | Board Index ]
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:49 am
xojo

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Animation first steps
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 am 

Super basic question here. I am trying to program a simple game as a way of learning through working on a project, and I am having trouble figuring out where to start. Let's say that my game will drop a ball from the top of the screen and veer towards a mouse click to end in 1 of 5 bins at the bottom of the screen.

When I look up animation tutorials on the web, the vast majority (including RealSoft's own curriculum) are about SpriteSurface, which is deprecated. So that seems a waste to learn. What I've found so far is:

RBGL Sprites - 3rd party replacement for sprites
OpenGL - a whole new programming environment to learn (?)
built-in Canvas control

This current "game" is just an exercise, but I want to work using tools that will still be useful down the road for a real game, but I also want to use something that I can learn incrementally, without jumping with both feet into a new language.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Gregory

Post subject: Re: Animation first steps
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 am 

I would suggest using OpenGL, it is not that hard and it will be useful when working in other environments than REAL Studio. If you want, I could send you a small 2D demo written in OpenGL.

Post subject: Re: Animation first steps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 pm 

OpenGL isn't a programming environment or a language, really, but I guess it's kind of pointless arguing semantics. It's just a specification of settings and commands that manufacturers make sure are available on all of their graphics cards. The hardware under-the-hood can be radically different from computer to computer, but they all follow the same structure for initializing memory, loading textures, changing the graphical settings, and rendering triangles to the screen.

You should consider buying a book about it to get used to how it works. It's really not that bad. Just learning the basics, like what buffers and texture units are and how to enable or disable various effects like lighting, will be enough to get you going.